FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: Involuntary Denied Boarding (IDB) Order and Compensation (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/704770-archive-involuntary-denied-boarding-idb-order-compensation-consolidated.html)

videomaker Aug 2, 2010 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by JY1024 (Post 14410079)
$249 may be his original fare amount...? But in theory he should receive 200% of the fare since the delay seems to be more than 4 hours.

Right, but this is a seven-hour delay so that puts it into the 200% category. I doubt the one-way fare was $124.50, which would have been $249 if doubled--maybe it was, but that sounds like a very cheap ticket.

JY1024 Aug 2, 2010 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by videomaker (Post 14410127)
Right, but this is a seven-hour delay so that puts it into the 200% category. I doubt the one-way fare was $124.50, which would have been $249 if doubled--maybe it was, but that sounds like a very cheap ticket.

Agreed...(hence my question mark and "in theory" comment).

$249 seems like a reasonable one-way base fare; so perhaps OP's husband is actually owed more money? Or maybe it gets pro-rated if the one-way fare has multiple stops (i.e. xxx-MIA-GUA)?

ashill Aug 2, 2010 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by videomaker (Post 14410127)

Choosing random dates a couple months out, the fare MIA-GUA is $104 one way as part of a round trip -- or at least AA's price and schedule display says it is until I click on the date, at which point the fare is $142. Either way, $124.50 sounds like a plausible one way fare.

videomaker Aug 2, 2010 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by ashill (Post 14410184)
Choosing random dates a couple months out, the fare MIA-GUA is $104 one way as part of a round trip -- or at least AA's price and schedule display says it is until I click on the date, at which point the fare is $142. Either way, $124.50 sounds like a plausible one way fare.

Fair enough. That would explain it, I hadn't checked fares.

jerry a. laska Aug 2, 2010 6:16 pm

Maybe he actually received $498 but only telling your sister he received $249?

Krazyglue Aug 2, 2010 8:22 pm

I have gotten a check from AA before at the check in desk. I handed it right back to the agent and they cashed it on the spot. This was in Japan where they dont use checks.

Different reasons though.

ja_user Aug 2, 2010 9:59 pm

$250 would be normal to Orlando, low to anywhere internation ;)

No reason to believe $250 is not true, but involuntary vs voluntary could probably be argued all day.

mvoight Aug 3, 2010 5:11 am

Originally Posted by ja_user (Post 14411949)
$250 would be normal to Orlando, low to anywhere internation ;)

No reason to believe $250 is not true, but involuntary vs voluntary could probably be argued all day.

Of course, as indicated in a post before yours, the $249 could very well be 200 percent of the one way fare paid, even though this is international, as that post indicated a $104 one way fare.

Joyce15 Aug 3, 2010 5:33 am

My sister insists it was $249. She also said he was offered $600 later on for a voluntary bump over night, which he declined. A 7 hour wait in an airport--$249 seems low. The flight originated at LGA...why wouldn't he have confirmed seats assigned in NY? He is not a sophisticated traveler. Never been abroad and was with his church group (he was the only one who was bumped).

emma dog Aug 3, 2010 6:52 am

Originally Posted by Joyce15 (Post 14413088)
The flight originated at LGA...why wouldn't he have confirmed seats assigned in NY? He is not a sophisticated traveler. Never been abroad and was with his church group (he was the only one who was bumped).

Maybe there were no seats to be had and were scheduled for release at the gate.

As far as the second part... someone had to be chosen... and it's likely they went with some combination of fare paid, ff status, and check-in time.

Franklybrit Aug 3, 2010 7:17 am

I was sat at the gate for this flight (waiting for the next flight from the gate). The agent over the PA announced that they needed 12 volunteers and that they were offering $800 plus a seat on the later flight. I remember it clearly because of the amount on offer seemed extremely generous. They only called for volunteers twice and did not increase the amount on offer, which I construed as meaning they had enough volunteers. Either IDB or VDB, the amount doesn't seem to add up....

UA Fan Aug 3, 2010 11:16 am

Pleasantly surprised.

JY1024 Aug 3, 2010 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Joyce15 (Post 14413088)
My sister insists it was $249. She also said he was offered $600 later on for a voluntary bump over night, which he declined. A 7 hour wait in an airport--$249 seems low. The flight originated at LGA...why wouldn't he have confirmed seats assigned in NY? He is not a sophisticated traveler. Never been abroad and was with his church group (he was the only one who was bumped).

Well, airlines can be much more generous if you accept their vouchers. Else, if they have to resort to IDBs, they are only obligated to compensate the minimum amount dictated by the DOT.

MGW2000 Aug 3, 2010 12:19 pm

The IDB process at AA is actually much more complicated at AA than the VDB process.

In case of an IDB situation, field service (airport staff) must call Day of Departure at headquarters. DOD will calculate both a voucher amount and a check amount, which, as previously stated, is determined by the excess time it takes to get to the customer's destination, fare price, etc. The voucher amount is always of a higher value.

The agent (or other field service employee) then provides the customer with the option of a voucher or a check. It is up to the customer to choose.

Matt

Tries Aug 3, 2010 12:37 pm

Folks,

I have question related to the topic:

where does have GA cash from? Do GA's carry some cash "just for the case", or how else a passenger can get that cash for involuntary DB? :confused:

I could understand money check... Or, mentioning cash the OP meant a check? :confused: