Search

Qantas upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2007, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Gold, UA Premier Exec
Qantas upgrade

Ok, I didn't have time to search, but I need some FT expertise:

A good friend of mine used his miles to get a coach ticket from LAX-MEL. The agent said there were no seats avail for a business or first class award ticket. Since he now has his seat in coach, can he use miles to upgrade into first or business?
Old Jun 11, 2007, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Nope.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 3:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I think the only way he could secure an upgraded seat would be to secure a new award appropriate to the class he wants a seat in - if / when inventory becomes available.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Gold, UA Premier Exec
Thanks for the responses
Old Jun 11, 2007, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT-Lite. UA Recovering 1k, HH Silver
A little chunk of the Wiki that is worth calling out, and might be worth bolding in the Wiki:

Upgrades only work when you are flying on AA metal - even though you might have an AA flight number, you cannot upgrade if the flight is operated by another carrier.
To paint it less finely: AAdvantage miles and AAdvantage status will not help you to upgrade (other than the magical op-up) on any airplane that is not silver with an AA logo on the tail. Period.

Also a more general rule: I'm not aware of any FF program wherein a coach award ticket is upgradeable by any means (other than the magical op-up).

Last edited by nomore1k; Jun 11, 2007 at 4:48 pm Reason: To allow for AA elite CX op-ups
Old Jun 11, 2007, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
This is not entirely true. CX in particular OP upgrades AA elite members in oversold situaitons with a high degree of frequency. They overbook the C cabin heavily and bump AA elites up to First.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 4:30 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Originally Posted by grahampros
This is not entirely true. CX in particular OP upgrades AA elite members in oversold situaitons with a high degree of frequency. They overbook the C cabin heavily and bump AA elites up to First.
AFTER bumping up all their own elites!
Old Jun 11, 2007, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat

I have enjoyed one of those Cathay Pacific C op ups to F. Magical.

I also point out that NW Plats & Golds, on coach domestic award tickets, are eligible for complimentary upgrades to first according to the normal 5 day/3 day upgrade windows.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT-Lite. UA Recovering 1k, HH Silver
I've edited my post to reflect your experience. Thanks for the correction.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 5:31 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by JGR01
AFTER bumping up all their own elites!
Actually CX is one of the few airlines that actually follows the rules and uses the OW designated pecking order for op-ups. So EXP would be after CX Emerald but before CX Sapphire. However for the high-demand routes there are lots of CX elites around (though there are almost 50x more EXPs than there are CX Emeralds in the world, so it is an unfair ratio in that sense; EXP is a lot easier to earn than CX Diamond).
Old Jun 11, 2007, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT AA 1MM
tangential information:

With Air Tahiti Nui coach award (or purchased) tickets in hand, one can often purchase upgrades at the counter when checking in. I know, I know--not OW, not Quantas, etc. But they go to more places now (Aus, Jpn, etc.) that might be of interest to AA flyers who think of Quantas first.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 6:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by dia1
Quantas, etc. Quantas first.
Qantas.

number_6 - do you have a source for that pecking order for op ups on CX? My understanding from info here was that CX up'd there all of their elites first before the rest of oneworld. I have only flown about 5-10 CX flights in J in the past year (and 5 in F) and have yet to receive an Op Up (mind you I am only QF SG and AA Plat)

I have seen a QF WP moved up to (my originally requested) window seat before after boarding - and they were very helpful moving his bags.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 8:18 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by simongr
...number_6 - do you have a source for that pecking order for op ups on CX? My understanding from info here was that CX up'd there all of their elites first before the rest of oneworld. ....
I am quite sure that CX follows the OW pecking order, and CX Sapphires come after OW Emeralds for op-ups. This is confirmed in talking with CX senior management, it is by policy. I have never had an op-up on CX, but most of my flights are in F so there isn't much scope for op-uips. Lots of mis-information on FT; in this case, I suspect awards policy is being confused with op-up policy (for awards, CX gives preference even for zero-status Asiamiles members, as they can waitlist for awards, thus get it before it is released to be available for non-CX Emeralds). I've found CX to be extremely well managed and with some sophisticated software and processes for delivering pax benefits. But this also means you can't game CX like you can game AA or some other airlines; they track your actual worth to the airline, and treat you accordingly. Some very nice informal benefits from CX, if you qualify.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 8:53 pm

Not on free tickets.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 9:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by number_6
But this also means you can't game CX like you can game AA or some other airlines; they track your actual worth to the airline, and treat you accordingly. Some very nice informal benefits from CX, if you qualify.
Thanks for the update - I actually like a mopre structured approach with less opportunity for "gaming". I have considered the CX program but it just appears too hard to get top tier status. It is a shame really as CX is one of my preferred carriers.

S

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.