Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Big difference between AA LHR ARR Lounge vs. Admirals?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2007, 2:35 pm
44C
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (OW EME), Hyatt Globalist
Big difference between AA LHR ARR Lounge vs. Admirals?

Flying into LHR with AA in Y and onward flight with non-OW airline from same terminal (T3) so no AC access to take shower. I can either pay $50 for a day-pass or upgrade to J with miles and $ and get Arrivals lounge access. Is there a big difference between the two?
Old Jun 11, 2007, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT-Lite. UA Recovering 1k, HH Silver
Originally Posted by 44C
Flying into LHR with AA in Y and onward flight with non-OW airline from same terminal (T3) so no AC access to take shower. I can either pay $50 for a day-pass or upgrade to J with miles and $ and get Arrivals lounge access. Is there a big difference between the two?
Yeah, in the first you get some time in a lounge after an all night flight in coach. In the second you get to sit in a J seat across the pond. I can either buy a Porsche or Porsche design sunglasses. Is there a big difference between the two?

Two serious comments: 1) I wouldn't bet against getting in to the AC with your Plat card and TransAtlantic AA boarding pass. Worth a shot, and then buy the pass if you're going that way. 2) I think, but don't know, that you can buy a (cheaper?) [Edit: Nope, $50 according to the Wiki] day pass to the LHR Arrivals lounge. Search 'Arrivals London'.

A question for you: When do you land (arrivals lounge closes before some AA flights get in to LHR)?
Old Jun 11, 2007, 2:45 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Once you re-clear into the departure area of T3 you will have access to the AC (and the CX Business lounge) as AA PLT. No need to go through immigration and go to the arrivals lounge.

Cheers.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
As far as the lounge itself goes, the main difference I've noticed is that there's usually hardly anyone in the arrivals lounge. The AC, OTOH, tends to be crowded.

However, the arrivals lounge is landside. You have to clear C&I to use it, then go back airside through passport control and security - earlier than you'd have to leave an airside lounge, and then you'd have to either shop or sit at the gate. Unless you have time to burn and enjoy that sort of thing, that alone sounds like a reason to go for the AC day pass.

That said, the main reason for upgrading (IMHO) wouldn't be lounge access. The last I checked, economy pax could get into the arrivals lounge for about $35, less than an AC day pass. Upgrade for the better flight experience if you want, it's probably worth it, but I'm not sure the arrivals lounge is worth "entering" and "leaving" the U.K. even if the lounge itself is free.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT-Lite. UA Recovering 1k, HH Silver
Originally Posted by 44C
...onward flight with non-OW airline ...
Originally Posted by brp
...you will have access to the AC (and the CX Business lounge) as AA PLT. ...
Technically, the OP does not qualify for AC access as an arriving Int'l PLT unless they have an AC membership.

http://www.aa.com/content/travelInfo...ounge%20Access
AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ and AAdvantage PlatinumŽ members must be departing on a oneworld operated/marketed flight that day.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 3:01 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nomore1k
Technically, the OP does not qualify for AC access as an arriving Int'l PLT unless they have an AC membership.

http://www.aa.com/content/travelInfo...ounge%20Access
You are correct!

I think, though, that they tend to allow (although they don't have to) arriving flight PLT/EXP to use the lounge....but it is not the sure thing I thought it was

Cheers.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 3:28 pm
44C
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (OW EME), Hyatt Globalist
I arrive on AA 66 landing at 07:50 AM and my onward SAS flight leaves as 10:05. Guess I'll try to sneak into the AC with excuse of no OW flights to GOT and if they don't let me in I'll just pay the $50. Thx for the info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.