Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2009, 4:49 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Mondays and Thursday at Midnight.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 5:34 am

Programs: AA, AS, Hyatt
FWIW, I was on a PLT challenge where I passed the 10,000 EQP threshold after I landed in MIA on GRU-MIA. I was connecting to MIA-LAX and went to the AC to take a shower. Since I was technically still GLD at the moment, I wasn't supposed to have access, but after a quick (friendly) explanation to the desk agent and a quick verification on her part, she invited me into the club.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 7:08 am

I just went from gold to platinum last week. It took a couple of days for it to show. Last Monday I printed my boarding passes from home and they showed platinum. The next day had to print my boarding passes at the airport and they still showed gold (I has requested and upgrade and that put me further down in the queue than I should have been) ) The gate agents were less than helpful, even when I showed them my correct boarding pass from the day before. The AAdvantage desk was nice, but did not follow through. Then when I flew on Friday, it still showed gold. So even when it shows correct online, it may not be updates in all the systems.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 7:14 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
aa (in general) does batch processing (not like dl which works for in real time for most things). The miles may correctly show in the account, but the process to recognize these for (plat) status may come later. Weekends also delay things.[When I did a plat challenge, several years ago, it took a day or two before my new "elite" status appeared.]
Old Oct 5, 2009, 9:15 am

Platinum

i become a platinum in the next trip. i am seriously thinking that i should move to some other carrier like UA or DL. what do you guys think about it? and which one to select? if you have to stick to AA what are the perks you would get being a platinum?
Old Oct 5, 2009, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by sivnaga
i become a platinum in the next trip. i am seriously thinking that i should move to some other carrier like UA or DL. what do you guys think about it? and which one to select? if you have to stick to AA what are the perks you would get being a platinum?
Sivnaga, Welcome to FT (or at least your first post on FT)

The benefits of PLT are clearly spelled out at aa.com in the PLT brochure
Old Oct 5, 2009, 9:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

I'm not sure why you would do that - particularly since you seem unaware of the Platinum benefits, such as priority check-in, boarding and security queues, lounge use on the day of qualifying oneworld flights, double bonus miles, 500 mile "upgrade stickers" to use on upgrades, etc. etc. - all viewable if you take the time to download the status manual for Platinum from aa.com.

We like AA because we feel it is better for awards and the use of miles (don't have to buy the highest fares to upgrade,) etc. But by all means, if the grass looks greener before you even find out what the grass here consists of, feel free - it leaves us one less status holder for competition in upgrades, etc. (I do recommend you check out their miles usage possibilities and probabilities, as well as what the equivalent status offer, before making the leap.)

Some of us would actually recommend working on Executive Platinum next, as those Systemwide Upgrades / eVIPs, First Class lounges and the rest are worth much more than secondary status on another airline. As we say hereabouts, YMMV.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 5, 2009 at 9:34 am Reason: add last para
Old Oct 5, 2009, 9:28 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome!

Take the time to read the stickies, especially the FAQ, and the Wiki, and you will gather a veritable bounty of information.

As to status showing, we know three things: as others have said, AAdvantage does batch processing, so it can take some time (a few days) for status to show; your previously booked flights may have to be manually updated to reflect status; and if you are flying sooner than your status posts, you might want to print out a copy of the account page showing EQM / EQP to show in the appropriate locations.

Originally Posted by SwissYankee
My most recent AA international flight was just posted today. The elite qualifying points shown is a couple hundred above the Platinum requirement. 10230 points to be precise. I guess this means I'm Platinum as of this moment. When I was looking at my account online, it looked the same to me. Nowhere does it say "Platinum" and I also did not receive the Platinum bonus miles for the last flight. How long does it take AA to update my new Platinum status? Is it necessary for me to call them and ask? I have no AAdvantage elite status prior to this because I'm using the AAdvantage Platinum status-match challenge.

Please help me because I'm a newbie to the frequent flyer game. Thank you for your assistance!
Old Oct 5, 2009, 9:32 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SwissYankee
My most recent AA international flight was just posted today. The elite qualifying points shown is a couple hundred above the Platinum requirement. 10230 points to be precise. I guess this means I'm Platinum as of this moment. When I was looking at my account online, it looked the same to me. Nowhere does it say "Platinum" and I also did not receive the Platinum bonus miles for the last flight. How long does it take AA to update my new Platinum status? Is it necessary for me to call them and ask? I have no AAdvantage elite status prior to this because I'm using the AAdvantage Platinum status-match challenge.

Please help me because I'm a newbie to the frequent flyer game. Thank you for your assistance!
Hope you registered for the challenge, else you will not get your Platinum status on 10,000 points - it takes 50,000 Points the normal way.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 10:29 am

being a platinum

Yes I had been a quite reader on the flyertalk for a long time.

I had been platinum for the last 3 years and i lost it this year and been a gold. The only perk i get with the status is pre-boarding. The difference of being a platinum than gold, i would get 100% bonus miles, other than that nothing else is there, which is what i feel. I don't travel internationally a lot to use Oneworld partner lounges. so based on this only i feel like i am not getting anything being a platinum at AA. Maybe i might be missing something, if you guys know let me know.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 10:33 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Yes I had been a quite reader on the flyertalk for a long time.

I had been platinum for the last 3 years and i lost it this year and been a gold. The only perk i get with the status is pre-boarding. The difference of being a platinum than gold, i would get 100% bonus miles, other than that nothing else is there, which is what i feel. I don't travel internationally a lot to use Oneworld partner lounges. so based on this only i feel like i am not getting anything being a platinum at AA. Maybe i might be missing something, if you guys know let me know.
Your upgrade window is bigger at PLT. 72 hrs vs 24. (and gold on up get no charge for checked in bags)
Old Oct 5, 2009, 10:49 am

pkerr, yes you are right. the segments i fly, there are lot of EXPs on the upgrade list, so it really doesn't matter whether i am platinum or gold, i don't get the upgrade, so that perk doesn't help me at all. you only get 4 - 500 mile upgrades whether you are platinum or gold.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 11:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
The difference of being a platinum than gold, i would get 100% bonus miles,
IMHO that is a biggie.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Gamecock
IMHO that is a biggie.
yes i agree, but that everyone does. so i am trying to get convinced so i can stick to AA. Delta is offering complementary upgrades all time, no 4 - 500 miles upgrades like that.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 11:31 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
I don't understand what you are asking of this board. You obviously don't need information and know exactly what AA offers. Equally obviously it is not attractive enough for you. So, follow a loyalty program more to your liking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.