Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2008, 11:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by IMH
What I've frequently seen posted, without anyone seriously disputing it, is that AA will not allow consecutive challenges to maintain a status level that was acquired by means of a challenge. I think we'd all agree that that makes sense. My searches suggest, however, that there is no clear consensus around consecutive challenges taking someone from non status to GLD to PLT.
Nor have I ever seen anything that clearly states that consecutive challenges are prohibited... for whatever that's worth. Like IMH, I'm not recommending counting on being able to do so, I'm just pointing out that I don't recall ever seeing a definitive answer.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 7:28 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
oklAAhoma may be alluding to the fact that the Challenges are undocumented benefits - so it's not like there is a page on aa.com or a particular document, and it could be ended (we are frequently pestered by rumors it will soon be over, usually at year's end.)

If I recall correctly, the only anecdotal information I have seen recently on FT is from those who have signed up for a Gold Challenge, then called AA and requested to be signed up for Platinum as they will fly more than they thought the next 90 days. The AA employee generally has agreed to grant the Platinum Challenge in these instances, and has even stated they will delete the Gold - but apparently this is easier said than done, as the successful individual ultimately gets both. I do not recollect if anyone has said they have been denied, but of course it is entirely possible.

YMMV, and a big caveat to anyone attempting this: this is an attempt at recollection on my part, and I have not perused the entire thread to verify any of this. It's also possible that individuals attempting this would be hoisted on their own petard, being stuck with an unwilling employee and a Gold Challenge even as they might have completed a Platinum Challenge had they been forthcoming and not prioritizing chiseling a few extra miles from a program intended to give frequent flyers a fast track to status they will maintain by flying the airline often.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:44 am

I found the the platinum challenge has become more difficult to finish. Here is my case. I did the challenge several years ago by a single roundtrip CMH-PVG. The CMH-ORD legs were counted as 500m each, so I ended up flying a little bit over 15,000m. But now AA's reduced the CMH-ORD mileage to be 298 as the 500m minimum reward no longer exists. So now CMH-PVG roundtrip will produce about 14,800m. And that means another flight will need to be planned, which is bad.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:47 am

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by zhuyanfei
I found the the platinum challenge has become more difficult to finish. Here is my case. I did the challenge several years ago by a single roundtrip CMH-PVG. The CMH-ORD legs were counted as 500m each, so I ended up flying a little bit over 15,000m. But now AA's reduced the CMH-ORD mileage to be 298 as the 500m minimum reward no longer exists. So now CMH-PVG roundtrip will produce about 14,800m. And that means another flight will need to be planned, which is bad.
Why do you say that the 500 mile mininum no longer exists?
Are you sure you're not thinking of another carrier (United comes to mind)

http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...anAirlines.jsp
Earning AAdvantage Miles

Earn a minimum of 500 miles for every eligible flight flown on American Airlines, American Eagle® and AmericanConnection® when traveling on a published fare ticket, except for codeshare services within Hawaii and with rail service operators booked as the AA flight number which earn a minimum of 250 miles on eligible fares.

There's nothing to prevent AA from changing its policies, but nothing has been announced to that effect yet (that I'm aware of, anyway)

Additionally, I don't understand how this affects your example. If you are on a 1.0 EQP fare, you'll successfully complete the Platinum challenge after 10,000 EQP in 3 month period (14,800 or 15,000 EQP - no difference from a challenge perspective, as long as you pass 10,000 EQP in 3 months).

Or... if you are on a fare that produces less than 1.0 EQP, you'd have to fly an additional flight anyway beyond what you've posted - that flight won't get you to the 10,000 EQP needed.

Last edited by miamigrad; Jul 17, 2008 at 1:43 pm
Old Jul 17, 2008, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by miamigrad
Why do you say that the 500 mile mininum no longer exists?
Are you sure you're not thinking of another carrier (United comes to mind)

http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...anAirlines.jsp
Earning AAdvantage Miles

Earn a minimum of 500 miles for every eligible flight flown on American Airlines, American Eagle® and AmericanConnection® when traveling on a published fare ticket, except for codeshare services within Hawaii and with rail service operators booked as the AA flight number which earn a minimum of 250 miles on eligible fares.

There's nothing to prevent AA from changing its policies, but nothing has been announced to that effect yet (that I'm aware of, anyway)

Additionally, I don't understand how this affects your example. If you are on a 1.0 EQP fare, you'll successfully complete the Platinum challenge after 10,000 EQP in 3 month period (14,800 or 15,000 EQP - no difference from a challenge perspective, as long as you pass 10,000 EQP in 3 months).

Or... if you are on a fare that produces less than 1.0 EQP, you'd have to fly an additional flight anyway beyond what you've posted - that flight won't get you to the 10,000 EQP needed.
Thank you for reminding me, I was seriously screwed by UA... and indeed isn't it, the AA requires only 10,000 miles.
then cheers for AA!
Old Jul 17, 2008, 8:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by zhuyanfei
Thank you for reminding me, I was seriously screwed by UA... and indeed isn't it, the AA requires only 10,000 miles.
then cheers for AA!
POINTS, not MILES.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 6:49 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kcawley14
I am sure I signed up for AADER promotion but have not yet gotten credit for the 18,000 or so miles I flew during the promotional period. Is AA going to credit the miles later in the year or am I mistaken that I ever signed up in the first place?
Hmmm, kcawley14... That couldn't be a wind-up, could it... K as in K.., Cawley as in Cawley, 14 as in 1st of April, on top of that a famously much-asked question... No, no, sorry, I'm being paranoid. Other threads answer the question, as has been pointed out. Credit where (and when) credit's due, i.e. possibly as soon as next week.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 11:12 am

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
Just a data point: My no-status roommate signed up for the Plat Challenge 16 Dec 2007 -15 Mar 2008 but didn't get the 10K points required. He was able to sign up again for 16 Apr 2008 - 15 July 2008, completed the challenge and now has Plat status.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 10:22 am

Programs: A3*G, AT Gold, National Exec Elite
I know it's completely speculative, but is it likely that the challenges will continue beyond year's end? I was thinking of doing a roundtrip from Europe to Canada on AA in December/January (coming back to North America just before Christmas, and going back to Europe early in January) to get Plat (tix are relatively cheap now, but still a hundreds $ more than Air Canada), but I'd be hesitant to book that if people feel challenges might not be around anymore then. But I have two flights to Asia on Finnair in the new year, and would love double the points, so I'm tempted.

Thoughts?
Old Jul 19, 2008, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jonnyow
I know it's completely speculative, but is it likely that the challenges will continue beyond year's end? I was thinking of doing a roundtrip from Europe to Canada on AA in December/January (coming back to North America just before Christmas, and going back to Europe early in January) to get Plat (tix are relatively cheap now, but still a hundreds $ more than Air Canada), but I'd be hesitant to book that if people feel challenges might not be around anymore then. But I have two flights to Asia on Finnair in the new year, and would love double the points, so I'm tempted.

Thoughts?
Why would you expect any answers that are less speculative than your question?

FWIW, Arpey told me (in strict confidence, of course) that the challenges are definitely being eliminated.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by Savage25
Just a data point: My no-status roommate signed up for the Plat Challenge 16 Dec 2007 -15 Mar 2008 but didn't get the 10K points required. He was able to sign up again for 16 Apr 2008 - 15 July 2008, completed the challenge and now has Plat status.
That's exactly as I would expect. Afaik AA has never limited challenges after unsuccessful attempts.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 10:11 pm

Programs: A3*G, AT Gold, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Gandhi90s
Why would you expect any answers that are less speculative than your question?

FWIW, Arpey told me (in strict confidence, of course) that the challenges are definitely being eliminated.
Seeing as I have no idea about anything AA, I figured the informed views of those here on the AA board (who follow AA closely and might better catch trends and developments) would be better than an uninformed gamble on my part. I therefore really appreciate your views. Thanks; will hold off on buying tix until closer to the travel date.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 10:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jonnyow
Seeing as I have no idea about anything AA, I figured the informed views of those here on the AA board (who follow AA closely and might better catch trends and developments) would be better than an uninformed gamble on my part. I therefore really appreciate your views. Thanks; will hold off on buying tix until closer to the travel date.
Sorry, I didn't note the program affiliations in your profile.

In all seriousness, there seems to be no indication that the challenges will be discontinued, in the near or distant future. But of course, we could all be surprised/shocked one of these days!
Old Jul 20, 2008, 8:30 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Gandhi90s
Sorry, I didn't note the program affiliations in your profile.

In all seriousness, there seems to be no indication that the challenges will be discontinued, in the near or distant future. But of course, we could all be surprised/shocked one of these days!
It has been rumored every year for as long as I've been here, but based on nothing more than pure speculation. Those who do know about such things no longer tend to post it here.

Cheers.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, NAT Exec Sel
Originally Posted by JDiver
BTW, what was the "kindness of a fellow passenger?" We are waiting with bated breath.
Someone who I met on a flight from DFW to BWI told me all about the challenges. I've been an AAdvantage member since 1995 and I'd been tracking my status like a hawk for years, and I have never heard of the challenges! I thought, with my travel schedule, I was destiamted (or doomed?) to be gold forever.
So armed with that suggestion, I googled the challenge and that's how I found FewMiles' info. Out of date or not, it worked for me!

(In a totally unrelated story, I DID end up on a lovely date with that fellow passenger. Since your breath was baited I guess I couldn't leave out the good part of the story) ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.