Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Credit on unused cancelled ticket about to expire. Any options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2007, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club

Hi, I tried searching but did not find a similar scenario. Mrs. zakami and I have a credit (substantial amount) on a ticket each that were issued Aug 3, 2006. I called today to use it for travel in early Sep and was told that the credit could only be used for travel beginning Aug 3. Due to some circumstances we are unable to travel prior to Sep.

Is there an option? Perhaps buying a cheap fare with a $25/30 change fee? But would I be given a voucher for the difference? If so, when would that voucher expire? Would I run into issues when applying that cheap fare credit to the ticket for Sep travel?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
well, first of all, I do not think there are fares with $25 change fees. AFAIK, the lowest is $100.

I think going the other way is the way to go. Buy a fully refundable ticket to somewhere even if you have to pay an additional $50 with a CC. This way, I believe the whole ticket value will be extended by 1 year...

But other experts will confirm or deny
Old Jun 8, 2007, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
Originally Posted by Deltahater
well, first of all, I do not think there are fares with $25 change fees. AFAIK, the lowest is $100.

I think going the other way is the way to go. Buy a fully refundable ticket to somewhere even if you have to pay an additional $50 with a CC. This way, I believe the whole ticket value will be extended by 1 year...

But other experts will confirm or deny
I looked up plenty of routes with a $30 change fee today (although did not find a $25 one). Also, you cannot buy a refundable ticket with an unrefundable fare credit. So that option is out too.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by zakami
Hi, I tried searching but did not find a similar scenario. Mrs. zakami and I have a credit (substantial amount) on a ticket each that were issued Aug 3, 2006. I called today to use it for travel in early Sep and was told that the credit could only be used for travel beginning Aug 3. Due to some circumstances we are unable to travel prior to Sep.

Is there an option? Perhaps buying a cheap fare with a $25/30 change fee? But would I be given a voucher for the difference? If so, when would that voucher expire? Would I run into issues when applying that cheap fare credit to the ticket for Sep travel?

Thanks in advance.
Use it for a mileage run. You might as well get something out of it. Or go somewhere for a weekend trip before it expires.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 12:03 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Well, you can call the EXP desk and ask them to connect you to Customer Service (the folks without an actual phone number...but with power to do many things) then throw yourself on their mercy. The rules say no, but it never hurts to try....it can work

Cheers.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jragosta
Use it for a mileage run. You might as well get something out of it. Or go somewhere for a weekend trip before it expires.
I thought of it, but I have so many miles that are seldom used and constantly being devalued that I sort of find it poinless to go to a place I don't care to go to. Anyway, this is my worst case option and I will do it rather than let some money go to a waste.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by brp
Well, you can call the EXP desk and ask them to connect you to Customer Service (the folks without an actual phone number...but with power to do many things) then throw yourself on their mercy. The rules say no, but it never hurts to try....it can work

Cheers.
I've been hunting for another thread on this topic and haven't found one yet...

I'm pretty sure it's been established that expired credit vouchers from refunds are useless after their expiration dates.

What I'm wondering is whether anyone knows of this working - i.e. maybe calling/writing customer service or some such and begging for mercy?

otherwise I'm out around $150...
Old Jun 16, 2007, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP (1.5MM), Hilton/SPG/Marriott Gold
Boy am I glad this thread got bumped, I had almost forgot that I have a VDB Voucher expiring on Monday. I guess I will go to the airport this weekend and buy a sticker for $30, see if they will give me a $270 back with another year on it.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 8:10 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Jakebeth
I've been hunting for another thread on this topic and haven't found one yet...

I'm pretty sure it's been established that expired credit vouchers from refunds are useless after their expiration dates.

What I'm wondering is whether anyone knows of this working - i.e. maybe calling/writing customer service or some such and begging for mercy?

otherwise I'm out around $150...
There's a reason I wrote what I did

Yes, it can work, but calling before they actually expire (one year from the original purchase date) would surely help, I would think.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.