Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

American Airlines will not issue a refund (for re-route in coach on J ticket)

American Airlines will not issue a refund (for re-route in coach on J ticket)

Old Jun 8, 07, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Angry American Airlines will not issue a refund (for re-route in coach on J ticket)

Two roundtrip business class tkts were purchased directly from AA for BDL to PUJ. The return flight was cancelled and rebooked for a flight from PUJ via MIA and on to BDL. The tkt from PUJ was in coach class; business class seats were available on that plane. The AA agent in PUJ would not seat us in business class or issue a refund.
This is an unfair way to do business and AA should issue a refund for the unused business class portion from PUJ to MIA.........
Any suggestions on how to deal with American Airlines???
Old Jun 8, 07, 2:28 pm
zac

Originally Posted by tasdk View Post
Two roundtrip business class tkts were purchased directly from AA for BDL to PUJ. The return flight was cancelled and rebooked for a flight from PUJ via MIA and on to BDL. The tkt from PUJ was in coach class; business class seats were available on that plane. The AA agent in PUJ would not seat us in business class or issue a refund.
This is an unfair way to do business and AA should issue a refund for the unused business class portion from PUJ to MIA.........
Any suggestions on how to deal with American Airlines???
If you purchased with a credit card dispute it with the card company.
Old Jun 8, 07, 2:41 pm

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
The return flight was cancelled and rebooked for ...
Who cancelled... you or them?

PS welcome to the forum..!
Old Jun 8, 07, 3:07 pm

You should be able to get the fare difference refunded if AA canceled the flight. Here are some useful customer service contacts at the airline. If you run into trouble, shoot me a note at elliottc at gmail.com

http://www.elliott.org/archives/2007...can_airlin.php

Chris
Old Jun 8, 07, 3:36 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, tasdk
Please continue to follow this thread in the AA Forum.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jun 8, 07, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by celliott View Post
You should be able to get the fare difference refunded if AA canceled the flight. Here are some useful customer service contacts at the airline. If you run into trouble, shoot me a note at elliottc at gmail.com

http://www.elliott.org/archives/2007...can_airlin.php

Chris

Excellent description of AA customer relations. Very accurate.

It seems that above all else they consider a refund to be a magnanimous gesture and their highest form of contrition. Even when they repeatedly did not present themselves with an airworthy aircraft or crew. They are a tad tone deaf and seem to function with a manual written by people who don’t fly too much. And as of late customer relations is highly overworked and staffed by fill in people in the DFW area. Its not a pretty sight IMHO.
The bean counters seem to have gotten to CR and determined they can cut back there too.

This is from a recnt terrible expereince - and I am EXP. You's think they would place a value on that but nope. " Lets see how close we can come to strangling this customer "
Old Jun 8, 07, 4:41 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by idainc View Post
E

This is from a recnt terrible expereince - and I am EXP. You's think they would place a value on that but nope. " Lets see how close we can come to strangling this customer "
Well, as always, there are different experiences. I recently had some unused tickets. I was told (and thought it was the case) that I had to apply the remaining value of the ticket to a new ticket before one year from the booking date. Called to do that, and was told (this time) that, no, I had to fly by that date. Well, as this was the evening of that day, wasn't going to happen.

Called EXP the next day, got put through to the super secret CS folks. Basically got a "well, as EXP, you're one of our best customers; we're not going to let you lose the value of that ticket." So, he extended it to allow me to use it even though the rules said it had expired.

They routinely, IMO, do the right thing in CS situations.

Cheers.
Old Jun 8, 07, 4:47 pm

Very true –
I have had very very good experiences with AA – usually with the EXP desk and / or front line people. Then again I had this awful experience. They are schizophrenic in this regard I am afraid. My intuitionis that I got a bad apple and a tone deaf one at that.
Old Jun 8, 07, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hertz Gold
More info from the OP would be most helpful: Did AA canceled the flight or OP? If OP, what was the fare basis - some have restrictions and penalties....
Old Jun 8, 07, 8:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
AA in PUJ is just competent enough to get you onto the plane. It is sometimes difficult to get them to upgrade me. Most of them don't know how to do anything out of the ordinary. They can't help you, so they don't. It once took me over an hour at the counter to get re-routed due to a cancelled flight. And I had to leave the counter for an intermediary 40 minutes in the process, because they knew they weren't going to be able to fix it for a long time.

Take it up with AA CS in the states, or if that fails, dispute the charge.
Old Jun 9, 07, 7:53 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat (4 MM), SPG LT Plat (Bonvoy doesn’t exist to me), HH Diamond via cc, Hyatt Globalist
The OP implies that their PUJ-BDL flight was canceled, and s/he was put on a PUJ-MIA-BDL connection instead. Since AA doesn't fly PUJ-BDL nonstop, sounds to me like maybe this was at one point a thru flight, then later became a true connection after a schedule change?

Nonetheless, if the OP in fact purchased a business class fare and ended up having to fly in coach on one of the legs, AA is very good about refunding the difference for that leg. Actually, I thought this was automatic and didn't even need to be requested, but a simple letter to CS should suffice. Going straight to the CC company seems like a bad suggestion if they haven't at least tried AA first (other than the PUJ ticket counter).

If, however, the OP purchased a YUP fare in this market (if there are any) and ended up getting rebooked in coach on one of the legs, well that could be a different story...
Old Jun 9, 07, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy Request American Airlines Refund

As a first time user of flyertalk, I appreciate the ideas generated in this forum.
Thanks to all who have responded to my plea for help in contacting American Airlines about a refund due because of a schedule change. The original tkt was BDL via SJU, PUJ in business class. The segment from SJU to PUJ was coach, as business class was not available. The return flight PUJ via SJU, BDL was cancelled and rebooked by AA: PUJ via MIA to BDL.
The problem: business class service was availabale on the PUJ MIA segment and the AA agent in PUJ refused to seat us in business class or issue a refund to our credit card.
Please note that there is no way to contact a live AA agent to help me. I have used the format on AA.com for refunds with no resolution. Calling AA is a deadend as the agent tells me to request a refund on AA.com. I even drove to ALB airport to ask a live agent to help me..........sorry! Use AA.com. This was a waste of approx. 1hr, 15min driving time, gas, etc. Please note that I have always liked to fly AA, but something has changed about the lack of service to passengers.
Old Jun 11, 07, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
As a first time user of flyertalk, I appreciate the ideas generated in this forum.
Thanks to all who have responded to my plea for help in contacting American Airlines about a refund due because of a schedule change. The original tkt was BDL via SJU, PUJ in business class. The segment from SJU to PUJ was coach, as business class was not available. The return flight PUJ via SJU, BDL was cancelled and rebooked by AA: PUJ via MIA to BDL.
The problem: business class service was availabale on the PUJ MIA segment and the AA agent in PUJ refused to seat us in business class or issue a refund to our credit card.
Please note that there is no way to contact a live AA agent to help me. I have used the format on AA.com for refunds with no resolution. Calling AA is a deadend as the agent tells me to request a refund on AA.com. I even drove to ALB airport to ask a live agent to help me..........sorry! Use AA.com. This was a waste of approx. 1hr, 15min driving time, gas, etc. Please note that I have always liked to fly AA, but something has changed about the lack of service to passengers.

This is very confusing. Are you saying that PUJ-SJU, before the switch, was coach or business? Do you have anything with the original fare basis? That might help us help you sort this out. Also, I'd call aa back and keep trying until you get someone to help you.
Old Jun 11, 07, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
The original tkt was BDL via SJU, PUJ in business class. The segment from SJU to PUJ was coach, as business class was not available. The return flight PUJ via SJU, BDL was cancelled and rebooked by AA: PUJ via MIA to BDL.
If I'm understanding you right, you flew:

BDL-SJU-PUJ with the BDL-SJU segment in J and the SJU-PUJ segment in Y.

Your return was PUJ-SJU in ?? and SJU-BDL in ??

I'm pretty sure you were in Y for your SJU-PUJ-SJU as it is sold as Eagle, which doesn't have a preimium cabin.

If you were booked PUJ-SJU in Y and rebooked PUJ-MIA in Y, I don't think you are entitled to a refund. Sure it would have been nice of them to move you up since your original flight was problematic, but you still got you paid for IMHO.

Last edited by DillMan; Jun 11, 07 at 3:31 pm
Old Jun 11, 07, 3:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

When you accept a new itinierary on rebooking which isn't in the same class of service, it pretty much closes out your options for a refund.

If you felt that the new routing doesn't represent fair value for the ticket you paid for, the appropriate solution is to ask for a refund. Of course, you'd then be stuck at BDL without a ticket.

You're asking for both a reaccomodation AND a refund, which is unrealistic.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: