FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Anyone ever surprised by no BUR-JFK? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/697417-anyone-ever-surprised-no-bur-jfk.html)

Fly AA J all the way May 26, 07 3:52 pm

Anyone ever surprised by no BUR-JFK?

I was looking at a map of LA the other day, and realized that three of the largest lots in town, and several other major entertainment businesses are minutes from BUR. Why no daily AFS 762 from BUR-JFK? I bet they could fill the premium cabins with studio execs from LA and their counterparts in NYC pretty easily.

joejones May 26, 07 3:54 pm

Learjet probably has something to do with it.

Fly AA J all the way May 26, 07 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by joejones (Post 7803629)
Learjet probably has something to do with it.

1) A lear going transcon is going to blow. A Gulfstream, now you're talking
2) I'm sure there are plenty of people on those lots who don't have run of the company plane yet but are still allowed to pay for J and F.

Daze May 26, 07 4:16 pm

Might be some operational constraints, like too short of a runway, or terminal configuration. What is the largest plane currently using Burbank?

LAX21 May 26, 07 4:17 pm

AFAIK a 762 is not suitable for BUR's short runways. A ps-style 757, that could be doable.
There would have to be a fuel stop a la B6 most of the times anyways.

LAX21 May 26, 07 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Daze (Post 7803691)
Might be some operational constraints, like too short of a runway, or terminal configuration. What is the largest plane currently using Burbank?

Delta used to fly a 763 to ATL.
There is also a private 757 there regularly.
UPS and FX fly A300/A310/757/etc.

Fly AA J all the way May 26, 07 4:20 pm

I thought (but could be wrong) that I've seen widebodies on the FedEx ramp at BUR. I have to imagine that one of those loaded with freight weighs more than a 762 in AFS configuration.

Fly AA J all the way May 26, 07 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by LAX21 (Post 7803694)
AFAIK a 762 is not suitable for BUR's short runways. A ps-style 757, that could be doable.
There would have to be a fuel stop a la B6 most of the times anyways.

But you are contradicting yourself when you say that DL used to fly an even larger plane all the way to ATL. And if a fuel stop were required, I bet the biz wouldn't mind BUR-BNA-JFK on a 762, lol.

millionmiler May 26, 07 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Fly AA J all the way (Post 7803625)
I was looking at a map of LA the other day, and realized that three of the largest lots in town, and several other major entertainment businesses are minutes from BUR. Why no daily AFS 762 from BUR-JFK? I bet they could fill the premium cabins with studio execs from LA and their counterparts in NYC pretty easily.

BUR is too close to LAX - end of story.

aamilesslave May 26, 07 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by millionmiler (Post 7803740)
BUR is too close to LAX - end of story.

How does that end the story? AA flies to DFW from both BUR and LAX (and others).

SCChris May 26, 07 4:46 pm

If the winds are blowing from the E or NE (e.g. Santa Ana winds) then even the S80's to DFW have to take a fueling stop in ONT or something.

IIRC, the entertainment companies all have contracts with particular airlines, so they are already getting that business out of LAX. A single daily flight, in my opinion is unlikely to be enough to move a contract from say UA to AA.

Fly AA J all the way May 26, 07 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by SCChris (Post 7803778)
IIRC, the entertainment companies all have contracts with particular airlines, so they are already getting that business out of LAX. A single daily flight, in my opinion is unlikely to be enough to move a contract from say UA to AA.

Yea, but if it's time to re-negotiate the contract and GE (probably the biggest company with a lot there) says "We'll go with whomever does BUR-JFK," you can bet there will be a flight up and running in no time.

JonNYC May 26, 07 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Fly AA J all the way (Post 7803817)
Yea, but if it's time to re-negotiate the contract and GE (probably the biggest company with a lot there) says "We'll go with whomever does BUR-JFK," you can bet there will be a flight up and running in no time.

Maybe you should start a letter-writing campaign to all the parties involved.

Fly AA J all the way May 26, 07 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 7803846)
Maybe you should start a letter-writing campaign to all the parties involved.

Because I live closer to LAX, that's why. I could give two piles of dog poop over whether they do this, I'm just surprised they don't, considering they used to fly AFS flights to SAN and SJC in addition to the two biggies on the West Coast.

millionmiler May 26, 07 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by aamilesslave (Post 7803770)
How does that end the story? AA flies to DFW from both BUR and LAX (and others).

JFK is not DFW (or ORD) as far as AA goes. I'm sure that you can see the difference.