FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Anyone ever surprised by no BUR-JFK? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/697417-anyone-ever-surprised-no-bur-jfk.html)

JumboD May 29, 2007 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo (Post 7816076)
No but I predict the following surprises within the next 5 years:

AA: BUR-JFK, possibly BUR-MIA and BUR-BOS (or BOS area),
UA: BUR-IAD and maybe also BUR-JFK and BUR-HNL/OGG

As written elsewhere, the big airports like LAX, SFO, etc. are very close to maxing out capacity and there is little room for expansion due to growth constraints/opposition to runway development. So secondary airports like BUR, SJC, etc will be getting more flights. Alaska just announced service from Sonoma/Marin. And everyone keeps touting Palmdale, though I think that one is a bit far off.

No question that Orange Co. could use some expansion, but with El Toro nixed that may be a while in coming.

But given the # of studio types that live closer to BUR, the loads in C/F on this route, and the traffic and mess at LAX, BUR-NYC is a no-brainer. It may just take a few years before they have the necessary planes as they are still ramping up the even-more-profitable international service.

Personally, I don't really see it, but that's just me. And, if I did see it, I would see someone trying a version of Eos/MaxJet on domestic routes that cater to this type of traveler. BUR doesn't offer as much convenience to vacationers (IMO) or non-industry types (or even industry types who don't live/work near BUR), so you'd have to bank on the high-rev traffic, who travel in premium cabins (and fill more than the 22 seats on a 757).

It also will never see the volume of connecting traffic that LAX does because you can't get to Australia, Japan, HI, China, etc. from there. It all has to be O/D, and it has to be high enough revenue (even in economy) to turn a profit. And while the NBC/Uni guys may like B6, I doubt many of them will enjoy econ on an AA 757. Just my $0.02, and I've been wrong before.

TMOliver May 29, 2007 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by JumboD (Post 7816124)
BUR doesn't offer as much convenience to vacationers (IMO) or non-industry types (or even industry types who don't live/work near BUR), so you'd have to bank on the high-rev traffic, who travel in premium cabins (and fill more than the 22 seats on a 757).

With several "vacation runs" into BUR under my belt, usually cheaper from DFW and without near the headfaches of LAX, I diagree. I find the airport conveneient in all aspects. Car rental is quick, and most of the folks I see/care about and the resturants and sites I frequent are those tacky, low class Valley dwellers, barely a step ahead of trailer trash and cedar choppers.

On my occasional business flights, the seats in back seem filled by the normal crew of managers and techs in a world where fewer folks have employers who routinely fork over the higher fare, leaving only the upgrade route which AA is certainly not going to take out economy seats to add fewer seats up front for riders not paying the freight.

When I used to fly out twice a year for the Navy Reserve in Long Beach, I flew there, easier and quicker. Now BUR serves my needs. I guerss if friends moved to Orange County, I might change again....

SAN-man May 29, 2007 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA (Post 7815137)
Nope.

I'm really more surprised that there's no daily LIT-LAX AFS service.

Why not JFK-VNY? Plenty of runway. I've seen C-5s and B-52s land and takeoff at VNY.

I second the letter writing campaign suggestion.

Was the LIT-NRT service supposed to be nonstop, or was it a thru flight via LAX?

Fly AA J all the way May 29, 2007 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by SAN-man (Post 7816369)
Was the LIT-NRT service supposed to be nonstop, or was it a thru flight via LAX?

Ever see the size of the people at LIT? I would imagine that this flight would have to make two fuel stops just to make LAX.

aamilesslave May 29, 2007 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by JumboD (Post 7816124)
It also will never see the volume of connecting traffic that LAX does because you can't get to Australia, Japan, HI, China, etc. from there. It all has to be O/D, and it has to be high enough revenue (even in economy) to turn a profit.

ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding

AAce May 29, 2007 5:07 pm

Since the thread starter wants to play airline executive, he may want to check the operational stats on BUR flights during Santa Ana wind conditions. The MD80 has to make fuel stops at ONT for the relatively short BUR-DFW flight.

Add the BUR-JFK tto the mix, then we are all subjet to reading a thread exploring the potential for compensation, additional miles, or an extra segment for the flight since it had to stop, for gas.