Nice act by FA today

Old May 17, 2007, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
Nice act by FA today

I flew first class home from California today and toward the end of the flight, I went to the bathroom and then struck up a conversation with the two FA's who had also been the crew on my way out three days ago and had recognized me. The earlier flight had been 3+ hours late and I told them I was eager to see my family as I have five straight weeks of flying (last week was Houston-Paris-London; this week to California; I leave for London on Sunday, come back on Saturday for a friend's son's wedding the following Sunday; leave for Australia on the Monday and return on June 7 for my daughter's 8th grade graduation and her birthday on June 8) and then my wife and daughter leave for 3 weeks in Ireland. She asked if I was bringing back anything for my daughter and I said no. She then asked if my daughter likes chocolate chip cookies. When I said yes, she packed up all of the unserved chocolate chip cookies in a bag and said, "Here, take these for your daughter."

That was very considerate and my daughter was thrilled (though I made her share with her brother).

The other FA said, "See what happens if you are nice." I generally try to be nice but don't always get chocolate chip cookies.
Old May 17, 2007, 8:58 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Just to be clear- after all that we're talking about a bag of cold cookies? Just checking.

Cheers.
Old May 17, 2007, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by shawbridge
I flew first class home from California today and toward the end of the flight, I went to the bathroom and then struck up a conversation with the two FA's who had also been the crew on my way out three days ago and had recognized me. The earlier flight had been 3+ hours late and I told them I was eager to see my family as I have five straight weeks of flying (last week was Houston-Paris-London; this week to California; I leave for London on Sunday, come back on Saturday for a friend's son's wedding the following Sunday; leave for Australia on the Monday and return on June 7 for my daughter's 8th grade graduation and her birthday on June 8) and then my wife and daughter leave for 3 weeks in Ireland. She asked if I was bringing back anything for my daughter and I said no. She then asked if my daughter likes chocolate chip cookies. When I said yes, she packed up all of the unserved chocolate chip cookies in a bag and said, "Here, take these for your daughter."

That was very considerate and my daughter was thrilled (though I made her share with her brother).

The other FA said, "See what happens if you are nice." I generally try to be nice but don't always get chocolate chip cookies.
See what a little gesture can do.

Most of the FA's wrap up the left over cookies at the end of a flight and hand them to the GA , who will usually divide them up among the other GA's.

If I am working the gate then I will hand them out to passengers or eat them all myself.
Old May 17, 2007, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, MR Gld, SPG Platinum
It's really kind of amazing how many people you see on planes (passengers and crew) that you've seen before.
Old May 17, 2007, 9:10 pm

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTT | IHG PLT| Hertz 5 Star | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Originally Posted by brp
Just to be clear- after all that we're talking about a bag of cold cookies? Just checking.

Cheers.
my, my ... aren't we jaded?
Old May 17, 2007, 9:39 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAir_head
my, my ... aren't we jaded?
He's not jaded. Just calls it like it is.
Old May 17, 2007, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
Actually, they were warm when she gave them to me. They were no longer warm when I gave them to my daughter, but she microwaved a couple for a short period and at them happily.
Old May 17, 2007, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by HNL
He's not jaded. Just calls it like it is.
That's silly. The OP stated that it was a nice gesture on the part of the FA - and it was.

The fact that the FA was giving cookies rather than thousand dollar bills doesn't mean it wasn't thoughtful.
Old May 17, 2007, 11:54 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jragosta
That's silly. The OP stated that it was a nice gesture on the part of the FA - and it was.

The fact that the FA was giving cookies rather than thousand dollar bills doesn't mean it wasn't thoughtful.
Yup, a bag of cookies is certainly worth a thread. I got a preflight drink recently. I'll tell ya all about it.

Cheers.
Old May 18, 2007, 12:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, CM Silver
Originally Posted by jragosta
The cookies are worth more than thousand dollar bills anyway.
Old May 18, 2007, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by brp
Yup, a bag of cookies is certainly worth a thread.
The OP obviously thought so. If you ever own FT, feel free to decide otherwise.

Originally Posted by brp
I got a preflight drink recently. I'll tell ya all about it.
If getting a drink ever becomes as unusual as getting a bag of cookies, someone might be interested.
Old May 18, 2007, 4:55 am

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by brp
Yup, a bag of cookies is certainly worth a thread. I got a preflight drink recently. I'll tell ya all about it.

Cheers.
Ahem this is flyer talk remember?? "Do a search..." Now where have we heard that one before???

You will find meaningful threads on...

The size of wine glasses J vs F.

Wether food is served from a cart or a tray and the relative merits of each.

Why some airlines remove the word "God" from IFE showings of the queen.

Personally I thing that since the PAX was given cookies as opposed to being told not to chat with the FAs for security reasons, speaks volumes about an airline and his experience. PS, If you have not eaten a cookie lately most people eat them cold. But, as the PAX mentioned you can always microfry them.

And preflight Bevs in 1st are expected cookies to go are not.

I think the whole cookie thing was a great idea of AA. They even give them free to PAX in the front of Y if they have extras from time time to time.
I always liked this when I flew National as well.
Acts of random kindness are rare enough in the air these days don't belittle the few we see.

Bet if we dig deeper we find that you forgot FEBO and a hungry PAX ate all the cookies before ya got one last time.
Old May 18, 2007, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by shawbridge
I flew first class home from California today and toward the end of the flight, I went to the bathroom and then struck up a conversation with the two FA's who had also been the crew on my way out three days ago and had recognized me. ...
I'm still trying to figure out why you were in the bathroom with two FAs.
Old May 18, 2007, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
I'm still trying to figure out why you were in the bathroom with two FAs.
Hey these were first class FA's on an AA transcontinental flight and not business class on Qantas -- these FA's may have 20 years on the Qantas FA who had fun with Ralph Fiennes on his memorable Qantas flight. I was talking to them after visiting the bathroom. I just thought in this era of surly and often unhappy airline employees and grumpy, demanding pax, this nice gesture deserved a mention.
Old May 18, 2007, 6:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
LOL! Where in fairness, the pre-departure drink is standard protocol (or at least very common). The whole bag of cookies certainly isn't.

Have a heart!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.