Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Talk about service!

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2007, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Talk about service!

So I am on flight 1057 from IND to DFW all set in 6A ready for take off as the plane is taxing and getting ready for take-off. All the sudden the captain comes on the PA and states that the plane is returning to the terminal because a first class pax has left behind his wallet and ID cards at the boarding area. So the plane returns short of the gate, a ground attendant drives a little cart next to the plane, climbs up to the cockpit holding a wallet looking object in his hand. Couple seconds later the ground attendant jumps off and drives away while the plane turns around and heads back for take off. About 10 min after take off, once the plane is leveled, walks over to 3E and hands the pax his wallet. All I have to say is "Wow!" The question is, would the plane had returned if the pax was in "y"?
Old May 11, 2007, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by docr775
.... a first class pax has left behind his wallet and ID cards at the boarding area. ...climbs up to the cockpit holding a wallet looking object in his hand.
I think it was the wallet. And you might be a lawyer.
Old May 11, 2007, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA, US, DL, UA, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver
Boy, that's certainly going above and beyond. Guess it was a slow day in IND.
Old May 11, 2007, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Good to see some classic Hoosier hospitality.

Easier to do in IND I would imagine than it would in DFW, LGA, etc., but a very nice gesture.
Old May 11, 2007, 2:36 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
I think it was the wallet. And you might be a lawyer.
Yes, but kudos to someone being accurate to their actual observations rather than just making assumptions.
Old May 11, 2007, 2:42 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Now on the flipside, I was on AA 3480 yesterday from AMA-DFW, and the flight attendant said, "Due to turbulence, the captain said I am to remain seated the entire flight and so I will be unable to serve bevegages. It's really too short anyway." She then proceeded to fall asleep and woke up when the pilot rang the bell and told her to prepare the cabin for landing an hour + later. So much for being on board primarily for our safety. I wish I could sleep on the job.

Personally, I would have terminated her. It was obvious she just didn't want to serve a full plane anything to drink.
Old May 11, 2007, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by jeffreyt
Now on the flipside, I was on AA 3480 yesterday from AMA-DFW, and the flight attendant said, "Due to turbulence, the captain said I am to remain seated the entire flight and so I will be unable to serve bevegages. It's really too short anyway." She then proceeded to fall asleep and woke up when the pilot rang the bell and told her to prepare the cabin for landing an hour + later. So much for being on board primarily for our safety. I wish I could sleep on the job.

Personally, I would have terminated her. It was obvious she just didn't want to serve a full plane anything to drink.

Actually I beleve that some rules exist to that effect in the AE FA handbook. If the flight is under XX minutes, and more than 3/4 full, a service is not possible...yada yada...

I've been on several flights in the Midwest that are designated for a drink service, but if they go out full (as most of them do these days), the FA is under no obligation to complete the service.
Old May 11, 2007, 3:30 pm

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Actually I beleve that some rules exist to that effect in the AE FA handbook. If the flight is under XX minutes, and more than 3/4 full, a service is not possible...yada yada...

I've been on several flights in the Midwest that are designated for a drink service, but if they go out full (as most of them do these days), the FA is under no obligation to complete the service.
Maybe they should emulate Air Jamaica.Recent 30 minute flight from St.Lucia to Barbados.As no inflight service was available, at the gate were plates of sandwiches,cake and bottles of fruit juice-500ml bottles at that!
Old May 11, 2007, 3:54 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent/MR Gold/ HH Diamond/National/MGM/Amex
I see both sides of the coin whereas the FA might not get through the enitre place for drinks, but the Air Jamaica idea sounds useful. But honestly, does anyone forsee an American carrier doing such things? I really dont considering the amount of money I spent for a cocktail while flying. Its my opinion that they make it up other ways (like great elite phone lines to solve problems).
Old May 11, 2007, 4:54 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I was on AA 3480 yesterday from AMA-DFW, and the flight attendant said, "Due to turbulence, the captain said I am to remain seated the entire flight and so I will be unable to serve bevegages. It's really too short anyway."
I was on ORD-SDF on May 9, and the captain announced before takeoff that it was gonna be turbulent and therefore no beverages.
Old May 11, 2007, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by drron
Maybe they should emulate Air Jamaica.Recent 30 minute flight from St.Lucia to Barbados.As no inflight service was available, at the gate were plates of sandwiches,cake and bottles of fruit juice-500ml bottles at that!
Yeah thats all very well but Air Jamaica lhas lost some $250M (USD that is) in the last year in an enviornment where most carriers are making some profit and tourism to Jamaica is at record levels.
At least one of their Airbuses were seized by creditors at MIA some month ago (within mins of a sked departure I believe)

So which would you rather have? A carrier which will get you to your destination
or provide food for 30 min flight and you get tothe airport to find your plane isnt going anywhere for days?

mike

Last edited by MIKESILV; May 12, 2007 at 9:08 am
Old May 11, 2007, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP

The United thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ighlight=sleep about a sleeping United FA and termination is interesting.
Old May 11, 2007, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by StSebastian
Yes, but kudos to someone being accurate to their actual observations rather than just making assumptions.
Needlessly accurate. I thought it was someone watching a wee bit too much Court TV. I think the wallet is lost, they go to the gate to get it , the guy in the card was not bringing out a burrito.
Old May 11, 2007, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

She then proceeded to fall asleep and woke up when the pilot rang the bell and told her to prepare the cabin for landing an hour + later. So much for being on board primarily for our safety. I wish I could sleep on the job.
If you actually witnessed a "required crewmember" asleep while supposedly performing their duties, is your duty to report this by writing an email with all details and you full name and address to [email protected]. As you point out, this goes beyond lAAzyness.
Old May 12, 2007, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Did Mr. Arpey say "Thank you" as they brought him his wallet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.