New Entertainment on 762

Old May 10, 2007, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat/Star Gold
New Entertainment on 762

Anyone yet get/use the new entertainment units AA is offering in first/business class out of JFK to LAX/SFO? How are they? What are they? What movie choices are there? Thx
Old May 10, 2007, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
I had them LAX-JFK on Sunday. The movie selection was so-so (but, then again, most recent movies aren't worth seeing...). The music software was very user UN-friendly, esp. compared to my iPod. The TV shows weren't worth saving on my DVR (but maybe on a 9 hour flight when boredom set in...).

The QC3 is very nice, though. I have Sennheiser NCH's (don't remember the model # - they cost about $200 in 2004). The QC3 was more comfortable, and made a quieter flight. But, the reason I bought the Sennheiser was the size, and the QC3 (while smaller than the QC2) is still too big to put in a briefcase that's already jammed...
Old May 10, 2007, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, DL Plat
I actually thought it was pretty cool. I only watched movies on it though.

I flew on United PS not long ago and they had DVD players. I thought that UA had a better selection but I think I may like the workings of the AA system better.

On a side note, one amazing thing that the AA flight attendant told me was that people have been trying to switch out the AA-provided Bose headphones (they have the AA logo on the side, mind you) with their own and take them with them off the plane. Thought that was pretty lame.
Old May 10, 2007, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CO FF
I had them LAX-JFK on Sunday. The movie selection was so-so (but, then again, most recent movies aren't worth seeing...). The music software was very user UN-friendly, esp. compared to my iPod. The TV shows weren't worth saving on my DVR (but maybe on a 9 hour flight when boredom set in...).

The QC3 is very nice, though. I have Sennheiser NCH's (don't remember the model # - they cost about $200 in 2004). The QC3 was more comfortable, and made a quieter flight. But, the reason I bought the Sennheiser was the size, and the QC3 (while smaller than the QC2) is still too big to put in a briefcase that's already jammed...
Problem with over-the-head ones is that they mess up BJ's hair.
Old May 11, 2007, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
I was reading the AA.com page about this and something struck me as interesting: the reference to 762 business class as Business Class, the 762 first class as First Class, but the 763 front cabin as "Premium Class." Does this strike anyone else as odd? Is it a typo (it was capitalized as though it were a formal name)? Or are they changing the titles with the introduction of the new seats? Here's a link, what do you make of it?

http://www.aa.com/apps/netSAAver/Vie...omotionContent
Old May 11, 2007, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
Problem with over-the-head ones is that they mess up BJ's hair.
I suffer from that same problem. In fact, it messed up BOTH of my hairs...
Old May 11, 2007, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JumboD
I was reading the AA.com page about this and something struck me as interesting: the reference to 762 business class as Business Class, the 762 first class as First Class, but the 763 front cabin as "Premium Class." Does this strike anyone else as odd? Is it a typo (it was capitalized as though it were a formal name)? Or are they changing the titles with the introduction of the new seats? Here's a link, what do you make of it?

http://www.aa.com/apps/netSAAver/Vie...omotionContent

I believe that in this case "Premium" does not mean AFS 3-class F, but rather "Premium Classes of Service" that include J and F.

"Transcontinental Premium Class on both Boeing 767-200 and Boeing 767-300 aircrafts" ---> means J and F classes on both aircraft (it wouldn't make sense otherwise, because there is no 3-class F on the 763).

Another reason is that the same cabin on the 763 is sold as F domestically and J internationally/Puerto Rico. By saying "Premium" you can cover both bases.
Old May 11, 2007, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by ESpen36
I believe that in this case "Premium" does not mean AFS 3-class F, but rather "Premium Classes of Service" that include J and F.

"Transcontinental Premium Class on both Boeing 767-200 and Boeing 767-300 aircrafts" ---> means J and F classes on both aircraft (it wouldn't make sense otherwise, because there is no 3-class F on the 763).

Another reason is that the same cabin on the 763 is sold as F domestically and J internationally/Puerto Rico.
That was sort of my thought, but what threw me was the capitalization of "Premium Class," suggesting that this was a new designation. Had it all been lower case, just refering to the front cabin, it would have made a lot more sense.
Old May 11, 2007, 4:09 pm

I flew BC form JFK/SFO RT this week and got the new system. I liked it much better than the DVD selection, I previously got in Intl J and a better selection than the entertainment systems on the 777
They had a few movies just released or not quite released on DVD and a selection of TV programs. if you fly more than a couple of times a moht, yoy would quickly run out of things to watch
Old May 11, 2007, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, DL Silver, SPG Lifetime Gold
and I had it on an ORD-LAX flight

Originally Posted by Roselinda
I flew BC form JFK/SFO RT this week and got the new system. I liked it much better than the DVD selection, I previously got in Intl J and a better selection than the entertainment systems on the 777
They had a few movies just released or not quite released on DVD and a selection of TV programs. if you fly more than a couple of times a moht, yoy would quickly run out of things to watch
I recall only the movies, and there were 4-6 of them. So, a little limiting, but on a MD80, better than nothing!
Old May 11, 2007, 6:19 pm

Somwhat OT, but I was listening to the Larry Elder show on KABC earlier this week and he indicated that on one of his flights between LAX and JFK last week in J ,that one of the new set ups went missing- apparently some one took a liking to them. No one owned up
Old May 11, 2007, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
Originally Posted by kflyer2
I recall only the movies, and there were 4-6 of them. So, a little limiting, but on a MD80, better than nothing!
Remember though that the devices being tested in Y and F on the Super 80s are different than the devices on the transcon routes; the player is a (much) smaller model.
Old May 13, 2007, 11:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP (Lifetime Plat)
Thumbs up

I had it tonight on #180(762) from LAX-JFK in J. Awesome. Anything beats what we had before. I was going to kill myself if I had to watch "Music & Lyrics" for the 3rd time this month! Dear God. Instead I watched "Children of Men" and the 1st hour of "Pan's Labyrinth"(which I plan to finish on the return). It was also nice to try out the QC 3's. Now I know I made the right choice with my Shure E4C's.
Old May 14, 2007, 7:09 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Nice service upgrade

I had the new players in business class on the 762 from JFK to SFO on 5/11 and on a NGBC equipped 763 from SFO to JFK on 5/13. Same unit on both aircraft. I was appreciative of this enhancement, but as a previous poster mentions if you do numerous trans cons a month you will run out of viewing options. One annoyance: The player offers a 7” wide screen, but the programming is all regular screen . FWIW, I watched the old Mission Impossible 3 and “The Painted Veil” plus on the 763 I went into the sleep position (Zzzzz) and listened to Beethoven’s 9th with the QC3. Very nice.

Both flights also featured very attentive professional service.

Last edited by schriste; May 14, 2007 at 11:26 am
Old May 15, 2007, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA CK (1.4MM), Amex Cent, Hyatt Glb, DL Plt, BVY Gld, Hertz Plt, DL Plt, VA Gld, UA Gld
I had the new IFE this morning JFK-LAX. I actually went back to AA vs UA on this flight because IFE was the major reason I was moving from AA to UA (as well as the fact that the UA JFK gates are 30 feet from secutiry). Was very disappointed. The selection of movies was horrendous. I need to see Major League again? Mostly art house films and the most current blockbuster was MI3. Three weeks ago on same route with UA PS they had great movies. Very happy watching the Departed. Also, as noted, the format does not use the full screen which is annoying. I am happy that the units are there, but I think AA needs to upgrade the choices.

One service gripe about it, why do they need to take them back a full hour before landing? They don't pass them out until a half hour into the flight.

D

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.