Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Santiago or Rio Which for Entering/Leaving SA?

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2007, 8:27 pm

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
Leave from SCL.

You avoid the $100 reciprocity fee for US passport holders (as this fee is only charged when ENTERING CHILE AT SCL and not at other ports of entry) and you get to use the great lounges at SCL which are only for outgoing international passengers as they are behind passport control.

In terms of timing, mid-March is ideal as the February summer crowds are gone but the weather is still good though Patagonia may be showing signs of the seasonal shift.
Old May 12, 2007, 3:54 am

Programs: AA EXP
I'd assume "no," but just in case.. one doesn't have to pay the fee if transiting GIG on EZE-GIG-JFK?
Old May 12, 2007, 6:18 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
While the cruise lines are aware of the details required to get pax from airport to ship and vice versa, you appear not to be aware of the SCL details.

SCL is a 90 minute drive from the port on Valparaiso Chile.

If you arrive in SCL to depart your cruise (the DFW flight arrives at 7:40am) you will clear formalities, get luggage and then spend some time on the bus. Since most ships do not allow boarding before a certain time (noon?) you will probably have a couple hours to kill. AND be very tired from your overnight flight.

Suggestion would be to arrive a day early (or more) even though it is only one hour time change from DFW (zero from MIA). Arrange for a transfer to the coast (Vina Del Mar) and stay at a nice hotel (there are not many but the Sheraton was wonderful last week). Doing this on your own the transfer will cost $140 or more for a van.

If you return to Valpo and fly OUT of SCL the same transfer exists and the DFW flight leaves at 9:30ish pm. The ticket counter does not open until 5pm for checkin.

OK with a cruise line transfer they will probably have you off the ship between 8 and 10am. You will probably get some sightseeing as part of the transfer and also some wine tasting. Then get to the airport 4-5pm and have to wait to checkin.

My thought would be arrive SCL a day early and stay over at the Sheraton (you arrange things or the cruise line will put you in a hotel in SCL). At the end of the cruise in GIG stay over a couple of days there also (flights still leave evening)... but GIG has some great restaurants and shopping.

Check with cruisecritic.com to find out more details... especially if you are sea sick prone. I think SCL to GIG will take you against the Humbolt Current which may be a bit more rocking motion of the ship (I know trans-Panama Canal from Pacific to Atlantic is much more rocking than the other direction).

In GIG make sure to leave time for the Jeep Rain Forrest tour in addition to Sugar Loaf and Christ the Redeemer ... also if there on a Saturday check out Hippy Fest which is an art fair. Stay at the Ipanema beach area for better hotels and less tourists .. Copa is much more touristy ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.