EZE-DFW 1 upgrade, 1 couple who gets 36H?

Old May 8, 2007, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
EZE-DFW 1 upgrade, 1 couple who gets 36H?

Sunday night EZE-DFW (~11hr flight), EVIPS have not cleared, in the AAdmirals club on the free wifi, expert flyer shows J1, 90 min before departure. Go to front desk, they clear my EVIP, but no luck for my wife as J is full.

We will arrive at DFW between 6-7am and I'll go to work.

The choice is 6J (window) or 36H (aisle), who sits where?
Old May 8, 2007, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
How much do you value this relationship?
Old May 8, 2007, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by deac83
Sunday night EZE-DFW (~11hr flight), EVIPS have not cleared, in the AAdmirals club on the free wifi, expert flyer shows J1, 90 min before departure. Go to front desk, they clear my EVIP, but no luck for my wife as J is full.

We will arrive at DFW between 6-7am and I'll go to work.

The choice is 6J (window) or 36H (aisle), who sits where?
A gentleman would give 6J to his wife, take a Valium in 36H, shower in the AC the following AM, and then go off to work. Of course maybe you're not a gentleman,

By giving up the seat now, you could negotiate for a kitchen pass for a boys trip later, YWMV.
Old May 8, 2007, 7:55 pm

In my family, we would both ride in the back!!
Old May 8, 2007, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 6 MM | Amex Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | IHG Spire Elite | Bonvoy Plat.
Yikes...tough call. I'd offer the seat to your wife. I use to fly that route all the time. Now I fly EZE - JFK every few weeks. Maybe you will get lucky and there will be some no shows that day. Who knows...anything is possible. Good luck.

Or just save the upgrade and try together in Coach.
Old May 8, 2007, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
In my family, I put my husband up front and I ride in back. Perhaps that's why we've been married so long.
Old May 8, 2007, 8:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
I would say if you have to work and she's going home than you should sit up front. While I've gotten better at sleeping in coach you are still going to be much better off in Business.
Old May 8, 2007, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
As gapilot said, we would both ride in back. Either one of use would prefer to be in front but we would rather be together. That is why we have been married 34 years.
Old May 8, 2007, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

I know it wasn't clear but to clarify, the flight was this past Sunday, 5/6 arriving yesterday morning 5/7.
Old May 8, 2007, 8:26 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
I know it wasn't clear but to clarify, the flight was this past Sunday, 5/6 arriving yesterday morning 5/7.
So, what did you end up doing??
Old May 8, 2007, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Now that would take some of the fun out of the thread. I'll give it a day and then share.
Old May 8, 2007, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by deant
As gapilot said, we would both ride in back. Either one of use would prefer to be in front but we would rather be together. That is why we have been married 34 years.
Please pardon the wretching and puking
Old May 8, 2007, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by deant
Same here, and that's why my wife and I have been married 30 years next month. ^
Old May 9, 2007, 11:50 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, SPG Gold, HH, Marriott Silver, Delta, United, TSA Prechk/GE
That's a tough one, though I've only been married 13 years so maybe that's why it's tough.

If I were in the wife's position I would tell hubby who has to work after the redeye to take the J seat and also say that there is no reason both of us have to suffer to let a 3rd party get the benefit.

At the same time, I have been in hubby's position before (on shorter flights) - inside, I felt like I needed the benefit of the sleep, but never ever could have expressed it. Luckily didn't have to deal with it because 2nd upgrade came through before we had to make the decision. But I was prepared to say, we'll fly coach together.

as for "but we would rather be together" - I have to respectfully disagree (sort of). Dr. kboo packs bigger bags, has smelly feet and feels more comfortable stretching into "my" space and armrest in coach with me than he feels with anyone else. He snores when he sleeps on the plane and it is always hard to get by him if I need to get out because he has all his stuff all over the place. He takes his laptop everywhere, even on a 2 week vacation overseas, to do an hour's worth of "work" on the plane. While the company and conversation are far better than an anonymous coach neighbor, sometimes the space encroachment is not so good. If his laptop is out and we are eating anything, guess whose tray table gets all the food and garbage? If I'm not sitting with him, I take the aisle. When I am with him, I am smaller so I take the window. In the last few years of travel together we have always managed to upgrade using my miles, but we are looking at a Paris flight in a few weeks where we are in coach. (the horror, the horror!) We'll see how it goes...
Old May 9, 2007, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Now that would take some of the fun out of the thread. I'll give it a day and then share.
I'm anticipating some sort of gentlemanly behavior pays off surprise ending here. You opted to give your wife the ug, and somehow miraculously another seat J opened up - or somehow the two of you scored crew rest seats, or if possible op-ups so two of you could be together in F

It it were I, I would have insisted my hubby sit in the front and then of course never let him forget it

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.