Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Airlines $200 transportation voucher transferable?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2007, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
American Airlines $200 transportation voucher transferable?

Hi,

As an apology for disgraceful ground service I received a US$ 200 AA transportation voucher valid for transportation on AA only.

The voucher was issued on May 1 and is valid for one year. Above my name and address on the top left it says valid for transportation only on AA / American Eagle / oneworld / American Connection. I don't think I can use it on BA even though BA is a oneworld member. Listing oneworld is confusing, but it is not my question anyway. My main concern is if I can give it to a friend to use on his next AA flight.

In the box on the bottom right (opposite corner from my name and address) it says:
Void if total value exceeds $1500.00
Non-transferable-valid for one year after date of issue
void if purchased, sold or bartered
service fee may apply at time of redemption.
Does this non-transferable mean I cannot transfer it to another airline or does it mean I cannot give for free (as a gift) it to another person to use it on AA?

What's your experience with AA transportation vouchers?

Thanks!
Old May 7, 2007, 11:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
Yes you can gift it to another individual. In order for that individual to use it against a reservation, you would either 1) have to present it at a ticket office/counter in person, or 2) mail it to AA on behalf of that individual. Ususally if the ticket is for travel more than two weeks from now you can mail it, if its less than that, you have to go to the ticket office/counter.
Old May 8, 2007, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flamboyant 1
Hi,

As an apology for disgraceful ground service I received a US$ 200 AA transportation voucher valid for transportation on AA only.

The voucher was issued on May 1 and is valid for one year. Above my name and address on the top left it says valid for transportation only on AA / American Eagle / oneworld / American Connection. I don't think I can use it on BA even though BA is a oneworld member. Listing oneworld is confusing, but it is not my question anyway. My main concern is if I can give it to a friend to use on his next AA flight.

In the box on the bottom right (opposite corner from my name and address) it says:

Does this non-transferable mean I cannot transfer it to another airline or does it mean I cannot give for free (as a gift) it to another person to use it on AA?

What's your experience with AA transportation vouchers?

Thanks!

In my experience you can give it away, I used them twice !

As we are at the cupon connection and I know you use LH often, I could offer you an UA systemwide upgrade for LH Y-C/C-F for it...

Let me know if you are interested!

Cheers
Old May 8, 2007, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
Yes, the ticket will not be issued anytime soon, thus it sounds best to mail it on behalf of my friend.

I still have to sign in the box, right?

Should I also include a note saying it is to be applied on reservation xxxx of person yyyy?
Old May 8, 2007, 12:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz 5*, Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by flamboyant 1
Yes, the ticket will not be issued anytime soon, thus it sounds best to mail it on behalf of my friend.

I still have to sign in the box, right?

Should I also include a note saying it is to be applied on reservation xxxx of person yyyy?
Best thing to do is make a reservation on aa.com and place it on "Hold", do not purchase it. After its been placed on Hold, call Web Services and let them know you want to apply a voucher to a held reservation. They will process it and provide instructions for mailing the voucher.

In the meantime you pay the difference (via credit card or other choices) and the reservation changes from held to "Purchased" until the voucher is received after which point the reservation goes to "Ticketed".

Also, fyi, mods will probably move this to the AA forum.
Old May 8, 2007, 1:16 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Moving to the AA forum from Coupon Connection

cblaisd
Coupon Connection moderator
Old May 8, 2007, 1:43 am

I've never used a transportation voucher on a carrier other than AA, but I don't see why these transportation vouchers can't be used on oneworld carriers, including BA.

To use it on a oneworld carrier, I would imagine you need to call AA or somehow use AA.com to make a reservation and apply the voucher. I've never done this myself, so I wonder how difficult this would be.
Old May 8, 2007, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all your feedback and suggestions.

Best regards!
Old May 8, 2007, 8:25 am

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by j3823x
Best thing to do is make a reservation on aa.com and place it on "Hold", do not purchase it. After its been placed on Hold, call Web Services and let them know you want to apply a voucher to a held reservation. They will process it and provide instructions for mailing the voucher.

I would add to make sure that either Web Services or a Reservations Agent notes your PNR that you're doing this. Sometimes, they just provide the passenger with the voucher instructions. And, while it's usually "understood" that the res. remains in that "purchased" limbo status awaiting a voucher, it can be very helpful to actually have it noted as such in your record as well. A great example of when this comes in handy is the possibility that the voucher gets lost in the mail, and you have to go to an AA ticket counter to solve the problem.
Old May 15, 2007, 1:47 am

Non-transferable voucher and an AA hassle

I was given a $275 voucher for the balance of an unused credit on a flight I canceled.

The voucher says "VOID IF TRANSFERRED /SOLD /PURCHASED /BARTERED NOT REPLACED IF LOST"

AA has all the information electronically on my account, but they still wanted the paper voucher.

I sent the voucher registered mail to the Dublin Ireland Service Center as directed and guess what, the voucher envelope didn't show up. The German post office shows it being received by the Irish.

Now AA will not give me credit unless I produce the voucher or some other document showing the loss.

For this type of voucher this is insane as this is a non-transferrable voucher but the customer service in Dublin will not ticket me.

I can understand that they want transferable vouchers in their hands, but why do they demand the same of non-transferables?
Mike
Germany
Old May 15, 2007, 3:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Bronze, DL Plat UA, HHonors Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt
You can use it on another OW carrier--I've used them on BA, IB, and CX in the past--the issue is that you can't "hold" those tickets online, so webservices needs to book the ticket for you. The AAgents should know how to do this, but many have never been asked, so you may need to go through to a supervisor, or hang up and try again.

As to the lost voucher; I would think you should be fine if you have the documentation from the post office showing that it was received by the Irish postal service and that they have no record of it... did you keep a photocopy of the original voucher; I think that might be useful as well.
Old May 16, 2007, 12:41 am

Thanks Good info.
And I just saw the big thread on vouchers.

AA (Good old Sean Bentel's people, Ms Darmody) wrote me back from Customer Relations and told me to call US Customer Service 800-321-2121 and speak with a supervisor.

Here's the deal on lost vouchers. They will ticket them but only 7 days before the flight.
The sup put a note on the booking instructing Dublin to ticket it at 7 days. She also said that lost vouchers are unusual so she wasn't too hard on Dublin for being hard nosed.

As for other OW, I tried to apply this with BA, but was told by the resv. agt that they would not accept it. Classic wrong information.

Yep I got copies of everything.

What I learned.
If you have a voucher think twice about mailing it. If you do, do it Reg Ret Receipt
Do your deal with an AA or OW office or with a travel agent.
Deal with the US Service Centers and have them pass the info on to the overseas centers.

Thanks for your advice Jabrams72. Appreciate it.

Mike
Germany

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.