Programs: AAdvantage PLAT
New AUS-SNA and JFK-UVF

Austin-Orange County, eff 05Sep07

AA 1465 AUS 0750-0900 SNA S80 Daily
AA 1622 SNA 1745-2220 AUS 738 Daily

New York City-St.Lucia, eff 15Nov07

AA 2009 JFK 1045-1620 UVF 757 MoThSa
AA 2018 UVF 1730-2125 JFK 757 MoThSa

Three more Austin routes are planned, no dates set. Stay tuned. Two had AUS service in the past. All three are pretty obvious to figure out.
Old May 5, 07, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat/4MM, AS Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Great news! I love to see that route expansion/return!
Old May 6, 07, 12:31 am
das

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
AA's strategy with point to point flying from AUS seems incredibly shrewd, especially because the timing of the flights is incredibly convenient for business travel and is utilizing aircraft that would otherwise be sitting at SNA overnight.

As far as the other AUS flights, my guess is BOS and MIA (IIRC these had service in the past).....the third is a bit harder to guess but perhaps DCA?
Old May 6, 07, 12:35 am

Location: Austin, TX -- AA PLT 2.8MM+ (life PLT); IHG PLT Ambassador; UA Gold
MIA would be although I've gotten used to the 777 via DFW.
Old May 6, 07, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PLAT
Originally Posted by das View Post
AA's strategy with point to point flying from AUS seems incredibly shrewd, especially because the timing of the flights is incredibly convenient for business travel and is utilizing aircraft that would otherwise be sitting at SNA overnight.

As far as the other AUS flights, my guess is BOS and MIA (IIRC these had service in the past).....the third is a bit harder to guess but perhaps DCA?
AUS is not within DCA's perimter and (hint hint) neither is LGA. So, it must be...
Old May 6, 07, 5:40 am

Programs: A3 Silver, DL Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by MAH4546 View Post
AUS is not within DCA's perimter and (hint hint) neither is LGA. So, it must be...
...White Plains (HPN)? That would actually make some sense.
Old May 6, 07, 7:45 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
I guess they won't be re-starting the AUS-HOU-LGA service, but if they re-start AUS-BOS & add AUS-JFK they go head-to-head with B6 which should be an interesting competition in the back of the plane! Frankly I would have said this would be a battle they can't afford to lose, because I can't see what profitable markets are open to them if they can't be sucessful in these business heavy point to point routes.
Old May 6, 07, 9:17 am
jez

AUS-JFK would make so much sense.. there's CO/DL/B6 going to NY non-stop. Would love for AA to do the same.

Originally Posted by bernardd View Post
I guess they won't be re-starting the AUS-HOU-LGA service, but if they re-start AUS-BOS & add AUS-JFK they go head-to-head with B6 which should be an interesting competition in the back of the plane! Frankly I would have said this would be a battle they can't afford to lose, because I can't see what profitable markets are open to them if they can't be sucessful in these business heavy point to point routes.
Old May 6, 07, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by jez View Post
AUS-JFK would make so much sense.. there's CO/DL/B6 going to NY non-stop. Would love for AA to do the same.

Don't misunderstand me - I'd love to see JFK (less so EWR which is presumably the CO route?) because it opens up a lot more one stop connections.

Also I'm just planning a trip to New England that I was going to do on B6 simply because AUS-BOS is better on B6 than AUS-DFW-BOS unless I can be sure of upgrades.

The other business route I guess they've looked at from AUS is PDX. I know it's sandwiched between SJC & SEA but I would have assumed there's a reasonable amount of high-tech traffic between the two.

On second thoughts, also AUS-PHX or even AUS-PHX-PDX (I believe WN do this at the moment). Given an early morning departure it would get to PHX early enough to pick up passeners that want to be in PDX most of the day. No doubt if it does appear it will be on an RJ....

Last edited by bernardd; May 6, 07 at 10:39 am
Old May 7, 07, 6:02 pm

Austin-Orange County, eff 05Sep07

AA 1465 AUS 0750-0900 SNA S80 Daily
AA 1622 SNA 1745-2220 AUS 738 Daily
interesting asymmetry. which routes will use the opposite equipment?
Old May 7, 07, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Prem Exec, *Wood Gld, Hilton Silver, Marriot Plat, NWA Silver, Avis 1st, Hertz 5*
Its nice that AA is finally starting to take advantage of AUS and no route everything through DFW. Don't get me wrong, DFW is a good airport, but its quite nice to hop a direct from a small airport like AUS.
Old May 7, 07, 6:25 pm
ed

Wonderful to have more nonstops out of AUS, but SNA seems like an odd route. Not nearly as much tech in Orange County as BOS, but that flight hasn't returned (yet). Assuming BOS and MIA are two of the others, I wonder if Nashville might be the 3rd as Dell has a large assembly plant there and there's also music business between AUS and BNA. JFK doesn't make sense as both DL and JetBlue fly it, PHX has both Southwest and America West (or now US Air), and we're out of DCA's perimeter as someone already noted.
Old May 7, 07, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by ed View Post
JFK doesn't make sense as both DL and JetBlue fly it, PHX has both Southwest and America West (or now US Air).
I'm not sure I follow the logic, for example Southwest already have 3 n/s roundtrips AUS-BNA a day.

If AA don't believe they can beat DL & HP/US they might as well shut up shop now. Southwest is easier in a way because the differentiation is better, but my concern is more with JetBlue and Virgin America - if they start taking serious market share from AA on routes like AUS-SJC/SFO then it's hard to see where AA goes next?
Old May 7, 07, 10:56 pm
das

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ed View Post
Wonderful to have more nonstops out of AUS, but SNA seems like an odd route. Not nearly as much tech in Orange County as BOS, but that flight hasn't returned (yet). Assuming BOS and MIA are two of the others, I wonder if Nashville might be the 3rd as Dell has a large assembly plant there and there's also music business between AUS and BNA. JFK doesn't make sense as both DL and JetBlue fly it, PHX has both Southwest and America West (or now US Air), and we're out of DCA's perimeter as someone already noted.
While obviously AA ceded some routes to B6, I think AUS-JFK is an example of a route where AA can do better than B6 -

1) It has a strong customer base in Austin - B6 is basically irrelevant in that market because it only flies to the northeast

2) AA has international connections out of JFK - which help with the economics of the flight, even if yields are lousy to JFK.

AUS-BNA is kind of the opposite - WN has strong presence in both BNA and AUS, and WN has so much connecting traffic flowing through BNA that it can operate the route at high frequency.

It will be interesting if AA is able to drive B6 out of Austin the same way Delta drove B6 out of Atlanta. How long will B6 tolerate losing money in Austin before they throw in the towel?
Old May 8, 07, 11:52 am
Suspended

I think AA is trying to get ahead of B6 establishing a mini-hub in Austin.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: