Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stop-over question for one-way from Auckland to US

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2013, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Stop-over question for one-way from Auckland to US

If I am planning on using my AA miles for a one-way ticket from Auckland to Washington DC, my option is to fly Hawaiian so the first North American city that I enter is Honolulu. Can I make a free stop-over for a week in Honolulu?
Old Aug 8, 2013, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Joe Schoomer
If I am planning on using my AA miles for a one-way ticket from Auckland to Washington DC, my option is to fly Hawaiian so the first North American city that I enter is Honolulu. Can I make a free stop-over for a week in Honolulu?
You can check that by using the "multi-city" award-booking engine on aa.com (under the "Plan Travel" tab). As long as AKL-WAS can be booked as a single award using HA for the AKL-HNL segment, then yes, you should be permitted to stop over in HNL for a week, a month, or longer.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 9:16 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Joe Schoomer
Yes. You can stop over in HNL for up to a year
Old Aug 8, 2013, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

You can check that by using the "multi-city" award-booking engine on aa.com (under the "Plan Travel" tab). As long as AKL-WAS can be booked as a single award using HA for the AKL-HNL segment, then yes, you should be permitted to stop over in HNL for a week, a month, or longer.
Thanks. I'm a newbie so please excuse if my questions are basic.

How should I time this? Let's say that I want to fly from AKL to HNL on 12/27 and then from HNL to IAD on 01/03. If I am buying the tickets as a single segment (AKL-IAD) as soon as they open up (330 days before), I can make the purchase only 330 days before 01/03, correct? If that's the case, I can get thoroughly screwed if the AKL-HNL availability for 12/27 is over! :-(
Old Aug 8, 2013, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

You're planning to start travel in December, 2014?

But yes: you cannot even attempt to book the award until the booking window opens for the last segment on the award. And, although AA can release SAAver award seats as early as 331 days before date of travel, AA does not always do so. (When HA actually releases its low-tier award seats is something that I do not know.)

Just for comparison's sake, have you checked current availability for such an itinerary for travel commencing in December, 2013?
Old Aug 8, 2013, 9:38 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The tricky part will be the hordes returning to the mainland after Christmas - New Year's on Jan 3 - 4 and maybe even 5 (2014) may mean seats will be pretty scarce.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976

You're planning to start travel in December, 2014?
Just toying with the idea. My travel plans are all finalized for Dec. 2013 (Brazil and Argentina) and Spring Break 2014 (Chile - Easter Island) using award tickets so the next open slot for me is Dec.2014 which is a good month to visit New Zealand. Have a kid in school so we have set dates when we can travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.