ARCHIVE: Concierge Key AA Premium Service

Old Jan 25, 2013, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by newaroundhere
If American wanted to make a single change to the CK program, fixing the 'upgrade problem' would be my vote.
I have heard and read about rumors that CK priority on upgrades was being tested but was not formally implemented (yet). This one change would likely result in me bringing over all my travel to AA. Currently, UA is winning my domestic spend because as a GS, I am batting almost a thousand on upgrades.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt DM, SPG GLD, Hertz 5*, AMEX PLT, GE
Totally unsubstantiated speculation:

In the new AAdvantage materials, it looks like there are four colors for AAdvantage cards. Perhaps the black card is the new CK card and they will roll out this higher formal level.

I can't see them continue to push the "focus on premium passengers" angle without doing more with CK.

As an EXP that would probably never reach CK, I wouldn't mind this as long as EXP retains its current benefits and is mileage based. My company is too cost conscious domestically to qualify on spend.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 4:19 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by FlyingTrojan
Totally unsubstantiated speculation:

In the new AAdvantage materials, it looks like there are four colors for AAdvantage cards. Perhaps the black card is the new CK card and they will roll out this higher formal level.
Are you talking about how the EXP card appeared to be a dark silver color for a day or two after the rebranding but is now black? I assumed it was just a design error.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 5:17 pm

I've been CK for many years and in my experience CK has only helped me with an upgrade once (domestic) when the gate agent over-road the system when I said very quietly that I was an CK.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by newaroundhere
Let me put it another way: if I used United and was GS I would probably get more upgrades on those flights because I would be ahead of the 1Ks. And by the way, United knows this. In talking with a GS supervisor the other day, he wasn't shy about pointing out the 'upgrade problem' with the CK program. He made it clear that they want my business.

Now in the case of irrops, it's a different story. CK agents will rebook X tickets into F, A or P, will protect you on multiple flights in first, book X tickets into first on another airline, etc., etc. And that's probably why I stay with CK. The CK desk is phenominal.

But to be brutally honest, I do sometimes wonder if I would have a better experience on United.

It's interesting that this came up because I also keep hearing that they're considering making CK a formal tier of Aadvantage but I've been hearing that for the last couple years and I think it's nothing more than a rumor.

If American wanted to make a single change to the CK program, fixing the 'upgrade problem' would be my vote.
I see two distinct questions implicit in your post:
  1. Assuming for sake of discussion that AA keeps CK pretty much the same and UA also stays the same, for you as a CK, would you rather have a better experience when things go wrong but miss some upgrades, or, have much better upgrade success but not as good handling during problems?
  2. Would AA be better off overall by making CK a top tier and hence downgrading the experience of lowly EXPs, or keeping things as they are? That is, would the additional revenue gained by catering more to CKs be greater than revenue lost by pissed-off EXPs who defect?
Old Jan 26, 2013, 4:11 am

I guess that is what I was talking about. It quite possibly could be a design error.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 7:38 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by anabolism
Would AA be better off overall by making CK a top tier and hence downgrading the experience of lowly EXPs, or keeping things as they are? That is, would the additional revenue gained by catering more to CKs be greater than revenue lost by pissed-off EXPs who defect?[/LIST]
Do you think that EXPs would defect en masse if CKs were treated like GS is treated on UA? From what I gather over there, 1Ks respect the GS folks pretty much and acknowledge that revenue matters. I don't know that AA EXPs would feel any differently about CKs.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 8:24 am

Programs: ConciergeKey 4MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Haven't there always been 4 colors of AAdvantage card (white for general members, gold for gold, silver for platinum and black for EXP)?
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by anabolism
I see two distinct questions implicit in your post:
  1. Assuming for sake of discussion that AA keeps CK pretty much the same and UA also stays the same, for you as a CK, would you rather have a better experience when things go wrong but miss some upgrades, or, have much better upgrade success but not as good handling during problems?
  2. Would AA be better off overall by making CK a top tier and hence downgrading the experience of lowly EXPs, or keeping things as they are? That is, would the additional revenue gained by catering more to CKs be greater than revenue lost by pissed-off EXPs who defect?
I think I answered the first question in my inital post. Obviously I do value the way CK handles things when times get tough. That's why I haven't jumped ship.

As for your second question, while I agree it would piss off some EXPs, I don't know where they would go. United already has GS. Delta? Skypesos? Maybe. But I doubt it. (and off topic, but from what I understand Delta already has an informal CK/GS-type program and soon will have a formal one that may in fact sit on top of Diamond)

In fact, I doubt elevating CK would have that much of an effect for the majority of EXPs. How many CKs are there? On most routes I'm one of maybe two on the plane (when I've seen the manifest). On a few routes (for example 6AM ORD-LGA) there are a bunch of us, but those routes are few and far between (or at least it seems so to me).

It strikes me that offering status matches to EXP and double EQM offers dilute the value of EXP much more than elevating a relatively small group of people to a higher upgrade status.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:14 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP (5.8MM Airpass) Delta Gold Medallion Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RealFan
I have heard and read about rumors that CK priority on upgrades was being tested but was not formally implemented (yet). This one change would likely result in me bringing over all my travel to AA. Currently, UA is winning my domestic spend because as a GS, I am batting almost a thousand on upgrades.
Most CK members don't upgrade. They are premium pax paying full fare.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by AA53
While you may be right that greater than half of all CKs pay full fare all of the time, I suspect that there is a significant minority that do not.

For example, there are a bunch of CKs at my company (including me) and we travel in paid F about half the time (shorter flights via aairpass). But on longer domestic flights we buy coach seats - sometimes YUP but often not - and play the upgrade game. Now when I fly overseas, you're correct, it's in paid J or F.

If what you are saying is correct, then this is even more of a no-brainer for American. If only a minority of an already small group are even trying for upgrades, then it will have an even smaller effect on EXPs. And if, on the margin, it makes CKs happier, why not do it?
Old Jan 26, 2013, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by AA53
Well you may be correct and I certainly don't have any stats to prove otherwise. However, after having been a CK for two years, and knowing several others, I can speak from my small sample size that domestically, we do not buy first class. That being said, we do buy first class and business-class fares for overseas trips, which is what I suspect is getting us CK status in the first place.

As both a GS on UA and a CK on AA (earned and not by status match), I feel that the GS program is better for people like me who do not buy domestic first-class fares. I can purchase a ticket about a week out and am virtually assured of getting an upgrade on UA. On AA, this has become a dicey proposition, especially when booking late. That is why a priority upgrade for CK members would make sense and then also match the program to what GS members receive at UA.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Million Miler, Bonvoy Ambassador, National Exec
I did about 225,000 miles/195,000 EQPs (mostly domestic) all on AA last year and will probably do that, if not more, this. I fly out of BOS and fares are generally more expensive, I believe I have spent about 70-75k on airfare alone, if not more. I don't run a company and I book my own travel - do I have a shot at CK? Do I contact the EXP desk to apply?

Last edited by CKSec; Jan 28, 2013 at 7:22 pm
Old Jan 28, 2013, 8:28 pm

Concierge Key AA Premium Service (consolidated)

I'm not a Ck, but from what I've read and heard it looks like the most direct way in is by using air pass. I'd put that 75k on an airpass account and you'd probably get on their radar.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 7:49 am

Programs: AA ExP 5MM, DL Lifetime Medallion 2.3MM
The deal this year is that for $30 K of deposit to AAirpass, you automatically get CK. You can reach them directly at (800) 433-6355.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.