FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: Concierge Key AA Premium Service (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/687154-archive-concierge-key-aa-premium-service.html)

GoBears Apr 28, 2007 8:00 am

Originally Posted by ordflyer60614 (Post 7652731)
. . . I asked her I'd like to keep my EXP status so she gave me a challenge of 20,000 EQPs over 90 days.

Whoa! Are you saying that the mythical EXP Challenge actually exists? Just what did you say to her to get her to come up with this? What department did she work in? (Maybe run-of-the-mill AAdvantage agents don't know about EXP challenges or aren't authorized.) Did you get a letter confirming? Who did that come from?

Wow. An EXP Challenge! Wait 'til WSJ and Conde Nast hear about that!

c_stanley Apr 28, 2007 8:14 am

Originally Posted by OneXMarine (Post 7652768)
Thank you for your reply. It seems as if some of the employees have taken it upon themselves to try and make things better.

:confused:

sonora Apr 28, 2007 8:27 am

This seems to me like an effort to keep business that might otherwise be going to light jets.

bdemaria Apr 28, 2007 8:30 am

Originally Posted by GoBears (Post 7654201)
Whoa! Are you saying that the mythical EXP Challenge actually exists? Just what did you say to her to get her to come up with this? What department did she work in? (Maybe run-of-the-mill AAdvantage agents don't know about EXP challenges or aren't authorized.) Did you get a letter confirming? Who did that come from?

Ordflyer 6... was contacted by AA - not the other way around - precisely b/c his/her business had dropped off, so perhaps such challange is by invitation only.

There are numerous threads reporting AA reaching out to customers whose travel has dropped off but I don't recall anyone else negotiating an EXP challenge - way to go ordflyer6....

MACH81 Apr 28, 2007 8:49 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 7652626)
Agreed - most are "mogulii" / biz travel arrangers etc. Consolidating and justifying it under one rubric makes sense. In any case, it won't be yours truly; I'll just continue being a flying frontline grunt. But if it helps AA keep the money and high tier travelers flowing in, good on 'em.

Sounds a lot like BA's Premier status. Get X Corp spend X Mi on BA and get Premier status.

Jakebeth Apr 28, 2007 8:58 am

Bottom line, whether new or not, is that the overall decision to cater to these clients is very shrewd. If you could calculate it, the ROI of such programs would be astronomical. Very little extra effort in order to maintain extremely large amounts of revenue. Remember, it generally takes multiples of the base to attract, rather than maintain, clients.

MJonTravel Apr 28, 2007 9:28 am

I am very happy to hear about this. Not that I'll be a participant. But hey...truth is that I've still got a tiny little vested pension benefit at AA, and anything they do to increase revenue and take care of AA's best customers makes it more likely that I'll collect it from the pension fund as opposed to collecting it from the PBGC.

The Premium Services staff people that I know are pretty darn good at what they do. I'd be interested in hearing more details of how this is going to work if they become available.

Jakebeth Apr 28, 2007 9:32 am

Originally Posted by flyastrojets (Post 7654446)
I am very happy to hear about this. Not that I'll be a participant. But hey...truth is that I've still got a tiny little vested pension benefit at AA, and anything they do to increase revenue and take care of AA's best customers makes it more likely that I'll collect it from the pension fund as opposed to collecting it from the PBGC.

The Premium Services staff people that I know are pretty darn good at what they do. I'd be interested in hearing more details of how this is going to work if they become available.

Hey astro - is there any corporate/structural connection between the AAngels and "premium services"?

The one thing that seems to distinguish many of the AAngels is that they're acutely client focused, as though they grew up working for Nordstrom instead of...

jrhone Apr 28, 2007 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Jakebeth (Post 7654456)
Hey astro - is there any corporate/structural connection between the AAngels and "premium services"?

The one thing that seems to distinguish many of the AAngels is that they're acutely client focused, as though they grew up working for Nordstrom instead of...

At stations with AC's the staff are cross utilized, other stations they are designated personnel who work with station management.

jrhone Apr 28, 2007 9:47 am

Originally Posted by ESpen36 (Post 7648817)
Sounds great! I wonder how much revenue one has to generate for AA each year in order to qualify?

I suppose the old saying applies: if you have to ask, then you don't qualify. :D

I imagine that those of us whose accounts are tagged as "VIP" will await the arrival of the new card eagerly.

Some comments/questions:
1) Hopefully the additional burden on the EXP AAgents won't be too problematic.
2) Does anybody know what SERO, IAD, and SRO stand for in this context?
3) I always thought that "Special Services" referred to things like UMs, oxygen, and wheelchairs, while "Premium Services" referred to VIP stuff?

1/ From what I am reading the service is designed to provide more of a day of departure service to VIP's. The information provided to us is that the number of VIP's has been greatly reduced , the list appears to have been reduced by 50% . Given the small number of VIP's and the fact that they dont all fly everyday I dont think there will be that much of an impact.

2/ Just the names of the offices that the calls will be routed to.

Jakebeth Apr 28, 2007 10:18 am

Originally Posted by jrhone (Post 7654486)
At stations with AC's the staff are cross utilized, other stations they are designated personnel who work with station management.

Thanks jrhone. I hope I didn't offend you with that comment about training - it didn't come out right.

Contrary to the broad-brush condemnation of airline employees that's so common, my personal experience, particularly since I began flying regularly about two years ago, is that the vast majority of AA employees I deal with are terrific. And I consider that a feat given the difficult choice of staying in a job and industry that are so economically difficult these days.

Unfortunately, I think the average consumer--while justified in outrage at individual incidents of bad service--tends to overgeneralize about how terrible things and people are. Though, of course, there are companies within which a crappy culture resides, regardless of how hard individuals try to overcome it.

MJonTravel Apr 28, 2007 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Jakebeth (Post 7654456)

Unless it's changed since 2/12/04 (hey...that will make it easier for any AA spies to figure out who I am :D), Admirals Club is part of the Premium Services organization which resides in the sales group. The AAngels work for Premium Services. While many of them are former gate and counter agents, there is no rule that says they have to be. They technically fall under the sales group, and frankly, I think it shows.... in a positive way.

I'm not familiar with any domestic station that has a premium services rep that does not also have an Admirals Club. Not saying there aren't any, just that I don't know of any. Outside of the US, all of the cities I used to visit during my younger days doing station audits for AA had a "premium" or "special" services person(s) who handled VIPs. I think they may have actually worked for station management though, and not sales. I'm talking about 1 or 2 flight per day cities like BRU, ARN (gone now), BHX, etc. Obviously, the London's, Frankfurt's, etc had Club staff. However, the non US stations work under the International organization whose VP sits in London. They weren't necessarily organized the same way as domestic US.

Others with more current knowledge than I will chime in if I've gotten something out of order due to my 3 year absence from AA.

jrhone Apr 28, 2007 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Jakebeth (Post 7654613)
Thanks jrhone. I hope I didn't offend you with that comment about training - it didn't come out right.

No worries, I must have missed that :)

McFlyPHL Apr 28, 2007 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by GoBears (Post 7654201)

Wow. An EXP Challenge! Wait 'til WSJ and Conde Nast hear about that!

I just finished one of these - I'm not sure if the points required are variable or not. I made EXP on points as a ~$30k/yr flier, then dropped to about $5k on discount fares. AA Corporate has a group that called to ask why, and how they could get my business back or if they'd ticked me off.

Asked them for a flight from PHL-NYC/BOS/anywhere on the east coast that's not MIA so I could connect and stay on AA. They then offered the 25k in 90 days for EXP. Just so happened I had a trip to HKG planned that ate up ~22k of those. :D

... it's good to be "king" again!

JDiver May 1, 2007 11:51 pm

OK, McFlyPHL, will you now add that to your spreadsheet? :D

Congrats!

BTW, all, I had an MD-80 flight DFW-SMF last night where the fairly senior (I suspect) FA providing meal service etc. was absolutely top notch! Addressed everyone by name taking drink and meal selections FEBO, and did so several times during and at the end of the flight (when thanking pax for flying AA.) Humorous, personable, warm, welcoming, positive, returning several times to see if people wanted more nuts, a refill, etc. Yes, a bit OT here, but OTOH, that is premium service! ;)