Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ticketed to DFW - Dumped at Love Field -What are my rights?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2007, 8:49 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: San Diego, CA , 4.2MM+ AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Ticketed to DFW - Dumped at Love Field -What are my rights?

I have read of travel nightmares, but in all of my flying, have been very fortunate to not have had one.

I was caught up in the weather related activities over Texas on Tuesday. I was flying from DTW to DFW to make a connection to SAN. Due to the weather we circled, then were diverted to Memphis to refuel, then circled, then eventually were told that we were landing at Love Field. After we landed, there were no gate agents, no help for reconnections, no shuttles to DFW or anyone who could help. I was told to call the 800# for assistance.

After 18 minutes on hold, an agent told me I was booked on a 6:45 AM flight the following morning from DFW. I asked how I was to get there (DFW) and she said it was "up to you" because it was a weather related incident.

Now I can understand that AA is not responsible for food and lodging overnight because of the weather, but aren't they responsible to get me to the AIRPORT I was ticketed to?

I ended up taking a cab, overnighting it at the airport as I could not find a hotel aywhere close by- only to receive a phone call at 2:45 AM telling me my 6:45 flight had been cancelled and the only routing they could find was to fly me to JFK at 10:50AM, then to SAN that evening.

So, I had an unexpected mileage run and got home at 10:00 PM the following day.

So my question is, shouldn't AA have assisted me in getting to DFW? I guess my biggest disappointment is that we were literally "dumped" at Love Field with no support from AA at the airport at all.

I don't want to be unreasonable. I have my receipt from the cab, should I try to submit it for reimbursement and if so, where should I send it?
Old Apr 26, 2007, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
I was supposed to return to SFO from JFK on Thurs. 2/15 - the day after the blizzard. My flight was cancelled and the earliest confimed options AA could offer me were either BOS on Sat pm or JFK early Mon am. I took the BOS option. I was out of pocket for hotels and train fare. Contacted AA and asked just for out of pocket reimbursement for the train and got the answer I expected, which was "sorry, but weather delays do no merit compensation, reimbursement, etc...." so my experience tells me the cab fare will not be reiumbursed.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 9:06 am

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
Although it was careless of AA to leave the passengers stranded without assistance, I doubt AA will reimburse your for your expenses.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 9:14 am

Programs: AA Lifetime GLD, SPG Lifetime GLD
I actually had this happen a few years back due to a combination of mechanical and fog at DFW -- but Love was open. It was an Eagle flight from Greensboro and prior to landing the captain referenced that we were having hydraulic issues and to not be surprised when we saw the emergency vehicles on the runway. Well, I wasn't surprised by those, but I was very surprised to see Southwest Airlines airplanes. It turns out we landed at Love since during the approach, DFW was closed for low clouds and our situation must have been serious enough to warrant landing and not circling.

Anyway, it took about 2+ hours to get AA to send an employee bus from DFW and those of us that needed to get there were shuttled over. People that were in town for meetings or the like, simply left from Love. Since I live in the area, I just wanted my car that was parked at DFW. I could have taken a cab, but AA kept telling us the buses were on the way. AA did send one or two CSA folks to the general aviation terminal we were using at Love to help with connections and the like -- they arrived well before the shuttle buses.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 9:18 am
GSR

Programs: AA 2MM
That is completely unacceptable! I would email AA CS or call them and explain what happened. What did the other pax do who were also dropped off? I am surprised that there was no one from AA to help. What about the crew? How did they get home or back to DFW?
Old Apr 26, 2007, 9:29 am

Programs: CO Gold, UA Premier Exec
If there was no one from AA who met the airplane? Where did you park?
Old Apr 26, 2007, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by FrAAmer
I have read of travel nightmares, but in all of my flying, have been very fortunate to not have had one.
Your RIGHTS? None

However, I don't think it is unreasonable for AA to provide a bus to get people from Love to DFW even though they're not legally obligated to do so.

I think that your request for transportation cost is completely reasonable. I'm not so sure about the hotel - AA couldn't have done anything about that - except dump you in Memphis which would have been even worse.

I'd contact AA Customer service via the contact section of their web site and explain your situation. I would expect to be reimbursed for taxi. You can ask for the hotel, but I suspect you'll be more likely to get miles.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by AEpilot76
If there was no one from AA who met the airplane? Where did you park?
Disappearing Agent Syndrome.

Symptoms.

Once jetbridge is set and door opened, sprints for jetbridge door and disappears across ramp. Speed to door is variable according to how many passengers on plane , and how many passengers are misconnects/diverted.

Is known for agents to also be able to reach the employee bus and be out of the airport area before passengers arrive at baggage claim.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:32 am

Programs: CO Gold, UA Premier Exec
Originally Posted by jrhone
Disappearing Agent Syndrome.

Symptoms.

Once jetbridge is set and door opened, sprints for jetbridge door and disappears across ramp. Speed to door is variable according to how many passengers on plane , and how many passengers are misconnects/diverted.

Is known for agents to also be able to reach the employee bus and be out of the airport area before passengers arrive at baggage claim.
I believe every agent in ORD has D.A.S
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:35 am

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by bdemaria
I was supposed to return to SFO from JFK on Thurs. 2/15 - the day after the blizzard. My flight was cancelled and the earliest confimed options AA could offer me were either BOS on Sat pm or JFK early Mon am. I took the BOS option. I was out of pocket for hotels and train fare. Contacted AA and asked just for out of pocket reimbursement for the train and got the answer I expected, which was "sorry, but weather delays do no merit compensation, reimbursement, etc...." so my experience tells me the cab fare will not be reiumbursed.
The OP's situation is different. You knew before you left JFK for BOS what you were in for. The OP had no idea that he'd be sent to DAL. I believe the only thing AA needs to be responsible for is the taxi fare. If they can't be held responsible for that, then what's to stop them in future from just stopping at MEM and saying "There are the NW desks, good luck getting to your final destinations" (which, if the OP had known, might have been a good option for going to SAN).

Had the OP been stuck at DFW overnight, I'd say he's SOL. But being stuck at somewhere other than his destination, with no eventual intervention from AA, and no choice on his part, is worthy of compensation FOR THE CAB RIDE ONLY (hint, try asking for this in the form of a voucher).
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have never been refused reimbursement for such incidentals, even when completely weather-related.

Dunno if my success rate is related to my requested currency or my good looks. I have always asked for a voucher, figuring that it's much easier to write those than it is to get approval for cash.

I'd send copies of the receipts for the hotel and taxi along with a brief explanation to CS.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:50 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
I'm a bit confused. With AA now serving STL (and MCI?) out of DAL, there's an AA ticket counter "out front". While not a "gate agent", that would have seemed to me to be the obvious next stop after coming off the jet bridge.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:51 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Although AA is not technically responsible for transportation from Love to DFW, with a whole plane of paxs you would think that they would have gotten at an employee bus from DFW to ferry paxs in the name of good customer service. But Arpey's cost cutting to the point of ruining customer service would say otherwise. What a shame.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:55 am

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by TMOliver
I'm a bit confused. With AA now serving STL (and MCI?) out of DAL, there's an AA ticket counter "out front". While not a "gate agent", that would have seemed to me to be the obvious next stop after coming off the jet bridge.
Good point. And I'll take it one further: If an overnight was in the cards no matter what, why not try for DAL-STL-SAN? Or was STL also having weather issues?
Old Apr 26, 2007, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Although AA is not technically responsible for transportation from Love to DFW, with a whole plane of paxs you would think that they would have gotten at an employee bus from DFW to ferry paxs in the name of good customer service. But Arpey's cost cutting to the point of ruining customer service would say otherwise. What a shame.
Why wouldn't AA be responsible for transportation to DFW? That's where he was ticketed to (or thru)

Would that also apply flying into LAX and getting dumped off at SNA? "Sorry but get to LAX yourself."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.