Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Splitting segments on through flights - for upgrades or seat selection (consolidated)

Splitting segments on through flights - for upgrades or seat selection (consolidated)

Old Sep 3, 2008, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat (4 MM), SPG LT Plat (Bonvoy doesn’t exist to me), HH Diamond via cc, Hyatt Globalist
Call. Reservations (or your travel agent) can assign different seats for each leg of a direct flight.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 8:39 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP,MR PP,Hyatt Diam, SPG Plat,PC Plat, HH Gold, National EE
see here

http://flyertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=682921
Old Sep 4, 2008, 12:25 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium
The last time I called the EXP desk to split SEA-DFW-MIA, I was told they couldn't do it. Tried calling several different times. Same solid answer. When I got to the airport, the Ticketing Agent got me different seat assignments in a heart beat. But I was distinctly left with the impression that the EXP desk was no longer capable of splitting the record.

Who has done different seat assignments on the same flight number recently by phone?

Anyone could do an involuntary re-route and make this happen, but that seems to be monitored pretty closely unless irregular ops.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 12:50 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, peon literally everywhere else!
Well the gold agents must not be quite so bright as those exp agents. Surly barely describes how I was told that I was nuts to be looking at segments when I was flying sea-rdu - why am i asking about Dallas? Further, there are lots of seats available, but being held for airport checkin, I will have to ask there.

I don't expect action at the 24 h window because even if somebody gets upgraded, on each segment - they won't have been in the same original seat. I'll avoid directs in the future if possible.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 2:46 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
On many "direct" flights, the gate and plane change when you arrive at the connecting city--the only "direct" part is that the number remains the same for all segments.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by 925
The last time I called the EXP desk to split SEA-DFW-MIA, I was told they couldn't do it. Tried calling several different times. Same solid answer. When I got to the airport, the Ticketing Agent got me different seat assignments in a heart beat. But I was distinctly left with the impression that the EXP desk was no longer capable of splitting the record.

Who has done different seat assignments on the same flight number recently by phone?

Anyone could do an involuntary re-route and make this happen, but that seems to be monitored pretty closely unless irregular ops.
I'm on this "flight" Saturday morning. Called about a week ago and had the agent split the segments. It's showing as I'm on two separate flights with different seat assignments. Glad I did it b/c its shown F0 on the SEA-DFW leg for awhile now, but the DFW-MIA upgrade cleared a few days ago.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 10:33 am

Programs: AA EXP 5MM, DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Avis CHM, National VIP
I think the usual FT advice applies here...call back and try another agent.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 9:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, peon literally everywhere else!
Originally Posted by DFWFlier
I think the usual FT advice applies here...call back and try another agent.
Indeed, I did call back and got a much nicer agent - who at least tried - she put me on hold to contact "seating". Alas, the answer was the same.

My colleague and I both used miles plus the $100 "cause we can" fee to upgrade. Ironically, while my UG seat was a window, I asked the gate agent if there was any way she could get me an aisle, and she did - one for SEA-DFW, and a different one from DFW-RDU. If only they could do this for a coach pax in advance.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 10:47 pm

Just an update to this. I had a strange occurrence with this on Saturday on 1828 SEA-DFW-MIA. I successfully had an aagent split it so that my res. was showing X on the DFW-MIApart but still in V (F was full) on the SEA-DFW leg. When I checked in Saturday morning AA.com showed me in row 13 on the SEA-DFW leg and in row 3 on the DFW-MIA leg. BUT when I printed the boarding passes they both had me in row 3 in X class and i got a message saying my seat assignment had changed and the one on the BP was the correct one. I was planning on taking the FC seat on the SEA-DFW leg and seeing what would happen.

I ended up getting to the airport real early and getting (barely and a whole other story) on an earlier flight to ORD so it never became an issue. But, obviously the splitting did not work correctly.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 12:46 am

Programs: AA-EXP, HH Dia, SPG PP, Delta-Plat
I've had them split direct flights before. Once I was going DEN-AUS with a stop in DFW. Of course the DEN-DFW leg had like 1 person in first and the DFW-AUS leg had like 12, so they split the ticket and I got both ups, just had to switch seats. Sometimes you just need to be pushy with the reservations/ Explat desk to get what you want.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 11:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, SPG
Question upgrading advice for AA1376 - STL > YVR, via DFW

First post, so please be kind!

This year, I became ExPlat for the first and probably only time. I was thrilled at what I thought would be virtually guaranteed "domestic" upgrades (i.e. sticker upgrades). Ha.

So my first upgradable trip of the year is AA1379 on 2/14 from STL > DFW > YVR. It seems that AA has been keeping a tight grip on upgrade seats lately...Long story short, AA just now released sticker upgrade seats in R, as DFW > YVR is showing an availability of 1. I was pretty excited at the news, as I really want to be upgraded for the international leg. Upon resubmitting my upgrade request on the phone, however, I was still getting the "request still pending" message. Turns out, the STL > DFW leg is holding me up, as there is no X availability yet. So the relatively unimportant STL > DFW leg is preventing me from getting upgraded on the DFW > YVR!

Does anybody have any advice to try and capture the DFW > YVR seat? I am miffed that I didn't realize that these aren't treated as 2 separate flights due to the passthrough routing (or whatever it's called). I already tried talking to an agent, and she said that it would require a reservation change. Aside from that, I don't think they'd allow me to book a split passthrough flight anyways, and the alternate routing is not good for me (arrive 6 hrs later).

*sigh* I guess am spoiled by constantly upgrading, with a very high upgrade success rate in the past (as Plat on STL > DFW/ORD > NRT). All part of AA's evil machinations. They're sucking me in and making me their puppet.

AAAAdvantage, get out of my heeeaaaddd!
Old Feb 12, 2009, 11:27 pm
Suspended

I would call back. I had this happen on a LGA-ORD-ACA single flight number routing a couple years ago. The agent simply split it into connecting flights with the same flight number. She explained it was no different than any other connection. Interestingly we ended up switching aircraft in ORD, so call back and maybe you will get a better agent.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 11:55 pm

I tried a different agent, and took a little more time to explain the situation. She was very nice and patient, but came back with essentially the same answer - 1) there will definitely be a change fee of $150, and 2) it would have to be repriced at today's fare, making either the fare or the difference in fares (she didn't specify) about $930. I tried to encourage her to check with someone, as she had mentioned she might need to check with the fares team. However, she was very sure that at least the $150 would be required. She also mentioned something about outbound flights being more difficult to work with than return flights, but I'm not sure where she was going with that.

Anyways, no luck. I may try once more tomorrow, but I am afraid that I will just get the same answer, and possibly get noted in my account as an "annoying customer". I guess this question will soon become academic, but I'd like to find out definitively how this should work - 1) does splitting a single flight routing into separate connecting flights constitute a "change", per AA's fare rules, and 2) is there an upfront way to know this will happen and prevent it during the booking process (preferably on AA.com).
Old Feb 13, 2009, 12:13 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by mrGrumbles
So my first upgradable trip of the year is AA1379 on 2/14 from STL > DFW > YVR. It seems that AA has been keeping a tight grip on upgrade seats lately...Long story short, AA just now released sticker upgrade seats in R, as DFW > YVR is showing an availability of 1. I was pretty excited at the news, as I really want to be upgraded for the international leg. Upon resubmitting my upgrade request on the phone, however, I was still getting the "request still pending" message. Turns out, the STL > DFW leg is holding me up, as there is no X availability yet. So the relatively unimportant STL > DFW leg is preventing me from getting upgraded on the DFW > YVR!

Does anybody have any advice to try and capture the DFW > YVR seat? I am miffed that I didn't realize that these aren't treated as 2 separate flights due to the passthrough routing (or whatever it's called). I already tried talking to an agent, and she said that it would require a reservation change. Aside from that, I don't think they'd allow me to book a split passthrough flight anyways, and the alternate routing is not good for me (arrive 6 hrs later).
Welcome to FT, mrGrumbles! Good for you for presumably finding ExpertFlyer to access that R inventory! Based on the information in the following thread, it sounds like you should try to call back (again) and get another EXP agent:

<now this thread post-merge>

Last edited by dstan; Feb 20, 2009 at 6:22 pm
Old Feb 21, 2009, 3:02 pm

Thanks a bunch for directing me to this post! I called the EXP desk yet again, and finally found an agent who understood what I was trying to do right off the bat. The whole thing was taken care of in less than 5 min. I think my eventual success was aided by 2 factors: 1) using the right terminology, e.g. "splitting segments" on a "through" flight, and 2) calling early morning instead of late night - I think the late night crew might be composed of weaker/less experienced agents. My failed calls were at midnight and 2am, while my successful call was at 4:30am.

Again, thanks for the help!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.