Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Splitting segments on through flights - for upgrades or seat selection (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Splitting segments on through flights - for upgrades or seat selection (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2007, 8:07 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by travelismylife
And now I'm back to square one, all one flight and I can only pick one seat all the way through. Well, lesson learned- I'll never try this again.
I'd definitely try it again. What you want to do is not difficult. However, not all AAgents know how.

Askl the AAgent if he/she knows how to "split the segment" so that instead of one long flight, it shows two separate segments. No need to make up a story: tell the AAgent you can get a much better seat assignment on each segment if they are separate.

Note the subtle difference between asking the AAgent to split the segment (which is what you did before), and asking if the AAgent knows HOW to split the segment (which is what I'm recommending).

If the AAgent does -not- know how, either hang up and call back, or ask if the AAgent can transfer you to someone who does know how to split the segment. Splitting the segment is a very easy transaction, requiring only a minute or two ... IF the AAgent knows how. The trick is getting an AAgent with the knowledge, and ALSO not wasting time with an AAgent who lacks the knowledge.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 6:33 am

Wirelessly posted (BB8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

I'm on 1828 SEA-MIA with a stop in DFW in a few weeks. Looks like its F0 on the SEA-DFW leg with some F avaliable on the DFW-MIA leg. I requested the upgrade for the whole flight (as SEA-MIA). Will the compter automatically upgrade me on the dfw-MIA portion if it becomes available? I seem to recall in the past I was not upgraded on second legs of the same flight number despite people with lower status clearing even though they originated at my stopover destination.

TIA
Old Aug 10, 2008, 6:39 am
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Ross0
Wirelessly posted (BB8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

I'm on 1828 SEA-MIA with a stop in DFW in a few weeks. Looks like its F0 on the SEA-DFW leg with some F avaliable on the DFW-MIA leg. I requested the upgrade for the whole flight (as SEA-MIA). Will the compter automatically upgrade me on the dfw-MIA portion if it becomes available? I seem to recall in the past I was not upgraded on second legs of the same flight number despite people with lower status clearing even though they originated at my stopover destination.

TIA
I seem to recall reading that you will have to call to get the upgrade processed on just one leg.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 6:43 am

Do you know where you read that? Do I have to call in advance to have them somehow manually add the request to the second leg or can it only be done within 100 hours and if/when X is avaliable?
Old Aug 10, 2008, 6:48 am
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Ross0

Do you know where you read that? Do I have to call in advance to have them somehow manually add the request to the second leg or can it only be done within 100 hours and if/when X is avaliable?
I couldn't find the exact thread(s), but I'm pretty sure you would have to call after X becomes available. I also vaguely remember reading that you could call ahead of time and get the flight split into two segments, but I may be mistaken.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 7:35 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
I think Gandhi90 is right. Did you call AA by now and ask them?
Old Aug 10, 2008, 7:36 am

Programs: AA PLT (2MM-- thank you FT!), UAL, DL, AF, BA
i'm flying lax-mia-gcm (grand cayman) and told the AAgent that I would like the upgrade to be processed if only the lax-mia segment became available, but obviously not if only the mia-gcm leg became available. this was set up w/o a problem.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Keith Flyer Maven
i'm flying lax-mia-gcm (grand cayman) and told the AAgent that I would like the upgrade to be processed if only the lax-mia segment became available, but obviously not if only the mia-gcm leg became available. this was set up w/o a problem.
Is LAX-MIA-GCM all on the same flight #. That is the key to the OPs problem. W/different flight numbers, it isn't difficult at all to pick and choose. When AA assigns one flight # to a multi-segment flight, they treat it as if it is one flight - causing problems like the OPs and and also leading to some issues w/mileage earning, # of stickers required for upgrades, etc...
Old Aug 10, 2008, 8:00 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP,MR PP,Hyatt Diam, SPG Plat,PC Plat, HH Gold, National EE
see this

check out this thread:
http://flyertalk.com/forums/showthre...travelismylife
Old Aug 10, 2008, 1:08 pm

Thanks. I'm abroad at the moment so can't call AA. Appreciate the info

Last edited by Ross0; Aug 10, 2008 at 1:13 pm
Old Aug 10, 2008, 2:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If it is booked as a single flight number and coupon from SEA-MIA ( such as on AA1828 ) then the availability of SEA-DFW and DFW-MIA is irrelevent. What is needed is availability for the sector SEA-MIA

If you want to be able to upgrade both sectors separately, then you will need to change the booking to have 2 discrete sectors.

Be aware if making that change and waiting for an upgrade to clear that there it may turn out that there is availabililty for SEA-MIA but for for SEA-DFW and DFW-MIA separately

Dave
Old Aug 10, 2008, 4:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
You definitely need the segments to be split. I had a BDL-DFW-LAX itinerary with the same flight number. Within the 100-hr mark, BDL-DFW opened up but not the DFW-LAX -- hence the upgrade would not clear. I called the EXP desk and they split the segments, cleared the first and left me on the list for the second. That segment eventually cleared also.

Also note that your Aadvantage account will only be credited with 1 segment and non-stop routing credit of SEA-MIA. After the flight posts, you'll have to call Aadvantage to receive the proper mileage and segment credit.

This happened to me despite splitting the itinerary for the upgrade.

Last edited by sukn; Aug 10, 2008 at 4:59 pm
Old Aug 10, 2008, 4:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The threads on splitting segments - whether for seat selection or selective upgrading - are essentially similar and have been merged (as well as inked to in the Unofficial Users' Guide sticky.)

/Moderator
Old Aug 10, 2008, 4:52 pm

Thanks for all the info and for merging the thread. Looks like I have to call and find an agent who knows how to split the segments.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 7:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, peon literally everywhere else!
Direct flight with stop seat assignment question

I have a hastily scheduled trip Friday morning, SEA-RDU via DFW. Same flight number. If I look at availability at each segment, I find (one) aisle seat. However not the same one, so all I can see in seat map is middle. How can I get the aisle?

I'm gold, but don't expect my upgrade request to pay off (if it did, it's a bargain given just 5 credits as opposed to 7 I think if it were different flt #'s).

Thanks - I'll certainly be checking at the 24h window to see if something opens up. My current assignment is a middle exit row seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.