Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Boeing 737-823 New Configuration Orders & Replacement of MD-80 (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boeing 737-823 New Configuration Orders & Replacement of MD-80 (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2007, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr_wanderlust
if AA got rid of the MD80s I'd fly AA more. this week I was able to route on 757s for LAS-ORD so I picked AA instead of my pal TED.
What's your issue with the MD80?
Old Feb 26, 2007, 9:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Doppy
What's your issue with the MD80?
mainly: they are decrepit.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 9:25 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
This will be a major opportunity for Airbus, and with Airbus falling behind Boeing (in perception at least), the A320 family will be a strong contender.
gafaw
Old Feb 26, 2007, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1172..._whats_news_us

"...American, the world's largest carrier by traffic, has the most pressing need. Its 300 MD-80 jetliners in service are 17 years old on average, guzzle 20% more fuel than new 737s and lack audiovisual gear to entertain passengers. The planes account for nearly half of American's 697-plane mainline fleet and are the workhorse of its domestic operations.

Late last year, American's parent acknowledged that one of its most significant challenges is devising a near-term plan to replace the MD-80s. The company said in its annual report filed Friday that it is considering replacing some of its older planes before 2013, but that its recent losses, heavy debt and poor credit rating may make it difficult to get financing.

Swapping the MD-80s for Boeing 737s, assuming the airline could get that many, would cost nearly $10 billion. America's parent, unlike some of its rivals, stayed out of bankruptcy court during the latest downturn. It is currently struggling to pay down its towering long-term debt, which stood at $18.4 billion in December...."
Old Feb 26, 2007, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold

It's subjective, but I'll take a Y seat in a MD80 over a Y seat in one of the slAAve ships any time.....

AA will be flying Maddogs for another 10 years.
One way or another yes, they will. Even if AA started receiving 3 planes/month starting tommorrow, it would still take over 9 years to completely replace the current MD80 fleet.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Because most of UA's domestic fleet is in such great condition....

Yet you're ok with with flying enough to have "Year to date paid UA BIS EQM: 23,923"
Old Feb 26, 2007, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
It's subjective, but I'll take a Y seat in a MD80 over a Y seat in one of the slAAve ships any time.....
I agree it is subjective. what is a slave ship? do you mean eagle?

tomorrow I've got 1082 tomorrow by choice to avoid both TED and MD80s...
Old Feb 26, 2007, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Because most of UA's domestic fleet is in such great condition....

Yet you're ok with with flying enough to have "Year to date paid UA BIS EQM: 23,923"
yes I am ok with flying fairly new airbuses. sorry but my general observation about the md80s is that they are aged. does that warrent some sort of slam on my UA business? nice people in the AA forum...

if AA had more 757s into my home airport I'd fly AA more. I am not a fan of TED.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 9:57 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by moman
I'd like to see a re-engine project with the MD80s to keep them flying another 20 years.
I'm sure someone here will correct me, but I believe the engines are only part of the problem - the wing on those planes is an old design. The newer technologies are lighter and more efficient, and that can't be overcome by, for example, retro fitting winglets.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
yes I am ok with flying fairly new airbuses. sorry but my general observation about the md80s is that they are aged. does that warrent some sort of slam on my UA business? nice people in the AA forum....
Not a slam... but a comparison and your unwillingness to fly in the same (and I would argue, better) conditions. I mean, are you concerned with the age of the aircraft itself, or the age/condition of the interiors? Describing the planes as "decrepit" would indicate the latter, but you are now citing the age. Which is it?
Old Feb 26, 2007, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Not a slam... but a comparison and your unwillingness to fly in the same (and I would argue, better) conditions. I mean, are you concerned with the age of the aircraft itself, or the age/condition of the interiors? Describing the planes as "decrepit" would indicate the latter, but you are now citing the age. Which is it?
both.

edited to add: I've only been on two legs with an AA md80 in the past year but my impression is they are more aged and worn than uniTED A320s.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I agree it is subjective. what is a slave ship? do you mean eagle?
slAAve ship=the 757
Old Feb 26, 2007, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by Nick90274
slAAve ship=the 757
is there a rationale behind it? pitch? size of F? etc?
Old Feb 26, 2007, 10:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Delta PM, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bernardd
I'm sure someone here will correct me, but I believe the engines are only part of the problem - the wing on those planes is an old design. The newer technologies are lighter and more efficient, and that can't be overcome by, for example, retro fitting winglets.
I thought the wings were already efficient enough that adding winglets doesn't make sense, but the JT8-D engines were about 15% less fuel efficient then comparable 738s. IIRC, the MD80 was the most efficient aircraft of it's time, and it's successor, 717, has proven to be a success and unfortunately was killed by Boeing.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 10:41 pm

is there a rationale behind it? pitch? size of F? etc?
I think the analogy is that it is big and holds a large number of people crammed in close together. It's probably a better analogy for the AB6 but those fly such a limited selection of AA routes that I bet a lot of AA flyers rarely get to "enjoy" them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.