FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Got a call from AA asking why I haven't flown them lately (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/676021-got-call-aa-asking-why-i-havent-flown-them-lately.html)

WineIsGood Mar 27, 2007 2:09 pm

Got a call from AA asking why I haven't flown them lately

My travel patterns are always changing, and I haven't flown AA much for the past few months. I don't think I ever really flew them a lot anyway (had Gold status).

All the same, I got a call today from someone at AA wanting to find out if there's a reason why my travel with AA declined (service issues, lack of routes I need, etc). She was very friendly and said they really value my business etc and if there's anything they can do to get me to choose them more often to please let them know.

It was a nice personal touch - good marketing effort from AA!

dalm Mar 27, 2007 2:17 pm

Did they offer you bonus miles? ;)

bal214 Mar 27, 2007 2:35 pm

never heard of them doing that before..anyone else ever get a call like that?

cynicAAl Mar 27, 2007 2:41 pm

it seems odd that AA would call wanting to know why you aren't flying when they claim to "know why you fly". I guess the department that knows why you fly should hook up with the department that wants to know why you don't fly.:rolleyes:

Keith Flyer Maven Mar 27, 2007 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by cynicAAl (Post 7479561)
it seems odd that AA would call wanting to know why you aren't flying when they claim to "know why you fly". I guess the department that knows why you fly should hook up with the department that wants to know why you don't fly.:rolleyes:

Awesome! Perhaps a corporate retreat is in order... the two departments could figure everything out following a rousing game of volleyball or a three-legged race!

Fly AA J all the way Mar 27, 2007 3:14 pm

Just be careful when they say that they are going to give you a credit for free travel, and that all they need to do is verify your name, DOB, and social security number ;).

edwin_p_morales Mar 27, 2007 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by cynicAAl (Post 7479561)

My theory is that they have a computer that knows why each of their several hundred thousand passengers fly, but it spit out one exception and said there's this ONE guy, and we just can't figure out why the hell he flies.

So they just picked up the phone and gave him a call. I think they had to do this one other time in the late 1990's when they couldn't figure out why Bill Allison of Wilmette, IL, flew. He had to fill them in.

BeanTownBoy Mar 27, 2007 4:26 pm

Funny, a couple of years ago I went from EXP (almost all F or Int'l C) to NS because of change in travel patterns--no call from AA, I assumed they didn't care. Good for you!

kaztm Mar 27, 2007 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by bal214 (Post 7479504)

Yes, in the fall or winter of 2000, when I was about to drop to PLT.

wannabe Mar 27, 2007 5:18 pm

My SO got a call about two years back, when she was PLT and stopped flying with them much.

vasantn Mar 27, 2007 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by edwin_p_morales (Post 7479869)
My theory is that they have a computer that knows why each of their several hundred thousand passengers fly, but it spit out one exception and said there's this ONE guy, and we just can't figure out why the hell he flies.

So they just picked up the phone and gave him a call. I think they had to do this one other time in the late 1990's when they couldn't figure out why Bill Allison of Wilmette, IL, flew. He had to fill them in.

This is definitely the most likely explanation. ^ ^ ^ :)

shawbridge Mar 27, 2007 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by bal214 (Post 7479504)

Yes, I received that call a few years ago. I have been platinum but never EXP every year for a while and then partway through the year I hadn't flown much on AA. I have a preference for AA but who I fly is dictated by where I am flying and that is dictated by which clients I am working for. Sometimes clients have a good deal with a carrier and so I will try to honor that as most of my flying is business class or first class international travel. I told them upgrades to first when I was flying coach would make a difference.

This past year, a big client had a deal with BA and I wanted to see whether I could get Gold on BA (I did in December). AA hasn't called.

gwade Mar 27, 2007 6:50 pm

I got a call like this about 4 months ago. I went from an EXP to one flight from SJC-LAX the following year. They asked what would make me fly more so I asked them to extend my VIP's a year. They told me they extended two VIP's, and then I later realized that they GAVE me two courtesy VIP's...I was still able to book older VIP's in February before they expired!

Oh, and in my EXP year I was almost 100% paid F and J, not sure if that motivated their call.

McFlyPHL Mar 27, 2007 6:57 pm

I got a similar call right before I dropped from EXP to PLT. They made me an offer to get status back and it's pretty much a done deal... also included the full batch of VIPs for the year.

This, combined with the arrogance/incompetence of US have locked me into AA.... even if it makes ORD a second home for me.

techgirl Mar 27, 2007 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by McFlyPHL (Post 7481325)
I got a similar call right before I dropped from EXP to PLT. They made me an offer to get status back and it's pretty much a done deal... also included the full batch of VIPs for the year.

Shhhh.... we can't have credible posters debunking the spin that this "never happens". ;)