Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade request lists at gates

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2007, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Upgrade request lists at gates

I always assumed that the upgrade request lists at the gates were for people that pay for upgrades. Do you have to "buy" these or are they "complementary"? Can you use up miles for them too?
Old Mar 26, 2007, 10:02 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
There are many variables.

Domestic:
EXPs get complimentary upgrades if space is available.
PLT and GLD have to 'pay' by using stickers ($30-$35 per each 500 miles of the flight per pax)
No-Tier use stickers but have to be on a full fare ticket.

All in theory can use miles (tho gate agents hate to do this last minute) or if the pax has an eVIP (a set number given to EXPs on requalification or any tier when crossing MillionMile mark -which depends on residence-search-)

Op-Up can exists where a cabin is oversold and the gate would move up a pax to a higher class of service.

A pax also may be on a YUP/KUP fare and trying to stand by for an earlier flights and wanting the upgrade that the fare 'allows' and is paid for as part of the fare.

Sometimes at Kiosk checkin a pax is asked if they wish to pay for an upgrade (but you are asking about activity at the gate)

International:
Stickers and complimentary (ala EXP) upgrades are not available.

Pax would need to use miles or eVIP (again gate aagents sometimes/many times do not like to process this but unlike DL it is available up to flight time)

Op-Up is somewhat rare where a cabin is oversold and the gate would move up a pax to a higher class of service. No clue on really HOW they decide who to move but tier does help.

Sometimes at ticket counter checkin a pax can pay for an upgrade (more available on flights into the US but somewhat rare also)

In either dom/intl, a pax can also pay the full fare difference from the price of their ticket to the next class of service (tho this is BIG$$$).

=============
WOW edwin_p_morales .. the wiki is GOOOOD stuff! I guess the question is WHAT the OP really wants to know . if we had the Org/dest and their tier we could answer more definatively.

Last edited by JGR01; Mar 26, 2007 at 10:14 am
Old Mar 26, 2007, 10:06 am

Welcome to FT!

Understanding upgrades can take a moment. There are many different kinds, from "sticker" domestic upgrades and VIPs (for elites, well sort of), to spending miles for upgrades, to ocassional cash offers at check in. And more, - I'm not explaining it well BUT thankfully the people who contributed here are:

http://www.flyertalk.com/wiki/index....rades_%28AA%29

Welcome, I'd suggest reading through that entry (and others in the wiki re status, etc) and then posting again if you have any specific questions or parts you're having a really hard time understanding.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA,AS,UA,Hyatt,Hilton
Originally Posted by JGR01

Domestic:
PLT and GLD have to 'pay' by using stickers ($30-$35 per each 500 miles of the flight per pax)

><snip><
Gold & Plat passengers traveling on Y or B fares do not have to use stickers.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by synack
I always assumed that the upgrade request lists at the gates were for people that pay for upgrades. Do you have to "buy" these or are they "complementary"? Can you use up miles for them too?
Hi, synack. Welcome to Flyertalk and to the AA forum. I am sure that you will find a wealth of information here which can make your flying experiences more pleasurable and rewarding.

Might I recommend to you the "User's Guide" thread that is always one of the first few posts on any page of this forum? Our moderator and several members have done a lot of work to make it easy to access answers to most of the common questions that newer members have. I am certain that you will find it fascinating.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Remember, the definitions of "Domestic" and "International" are very different than one might expect, depending on whether you are talking about upgrade policy, lounge access policy, premium cabin services, etc. etc. etc. Outside the USA is NOT necessarily "International," as counter-intuitive as it sounds. Please check the many Wiki pages!

Originally Posted by JGR01

Domestic:

All in theory can use miles (tho gate agents hate to do this last minute) or if the pax has an eVIP (a set number given to EXPs on requalification or any tier when crossing MillionMile mark -which depends on residence-search-)

Op-Up can exists where a cabin is oversold and the gate would move up a pax to a higher class of service.

A pax also may be on a YUP/KUP fare and trying to stand by for an earlier flights and wanting the upgrade that the fare 'allows' and is paid for as part of the fare.

Sometimes at Kiosk checkin a pax is asked if they wish to pay for an upgrade (but you are asking about activity at the gate)

International:
Stickers and complimentary (ala EXP) upgrades are not available.

Pax would need to use miles or eVIP (again gate aagents sometimes/many times do not like to process this but unlike DL it is available up to flight time)

Op-Up is somewhat rare where a cabin is oversold and the gate would move up a pax to a higher class of service. No clue on really HOW they decide who to move but tier does help.

Sometimes at ticket counter checkin a pax can pay for an upgrade (more available on flights into the US but somewhat rare also)

In either dom/intl, a pax can also pay the full fare difference from the price of their ticket to the next class of service (tho this is BIG$$$).

=============
WOW edwin_p_morales .. the wiki is GOOOOD stuff! I guess the question is WHAT the OP really wants to know . if we had the Org/dest and their tier we could answer more definatively.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.