AA.com Printed Itinerary .. new format??!

Old Mar 25, 07, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
AA.com Printed Itinerary .. new format??!

Just tried to print an itinerary ...

Interesting.

New format (I think)...

Tho the definite NEW part is the bar code top and side with instructions to slide this part through a kiosk.

Maybe kewl .. not sure till I try it actually!
Old Mar 25, 07, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP - 2.7MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by JGR01 View Post

Interesting.

New format (I think)...

Tho the definite NEW part is the bar code top and side with instructions to slide this part through a kiosk.

I belive there's already a reference to this feature on another post. I assume (haven't read it yet myself with a wand) that it's the PNR locator encoded there for direct access to your reservation at the kiosk saving time and credit card/advantage card swipe? Doesn't really seem too useful to me unless you can't do OLCI 24 hours ahead - you can print this anytime. It will be interesting to see how much time it does save (when I don't use OLCI - which is rare.)
Old Mar 25, 07, 11:28 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by JGR01 View Post

Interesting.

New format (I think)...

I just saw that too and it looks pretty cool. I'm hopeful this presages a long, broad round of upgrades to everything they do online. Frankly, I could save AA a ton of money spent on CSRs if they'd let me do more...
Old Mar 25, 07, 11:41 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, AAdvantage Platinum (1MM Lifetime Gold), Avis First
Thanks!
Old Mar 25, 07, 11:51 am

I'm curious about how this will work -- the instructions say to "scan this barcode at any AA Self-Service Machine." To my knowledge, the machines just have a swipe-slot, and are not equipped with the scanners that they have the gate.

So, are we supposed to slide the entire sheet of paper through the kiosk's credit card swipe-slot?
Old Mar 25, 07, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Madison Guy View Post
I belive there's already a reference to this feature on another post. I assume (haven't read it yet myself with a wand) that it's the PNR locator encoded there for direct access to your reservation at the kiosk saving time and credit card/advantage card swipe? Doesn't really seem too useful to me unless you can't do OLCI 24 hours ahead - you can print this anytime. It will be interesting to see how much time it does save (when I don't use OLCI - which is rare.)
Perhaps more people have gotten comfortable with it, but when I worked at DFW in high school (1998-2002) it always fascinated me how many people were unwilling to swipe their credit cards at the machines. I would assume that the barcodes are not designed to save time for the passenger who uses it, but instead is designed to get those last holdouts to switch over to the self-service kiosks.

And while most of the quirks of using credit cards and AAdvantage cards at the kiosks have been fixed (i.e. the kiosks originally could not deal with hyphenated names and apostrophes), there are still a few issues when the name on the credit card does not exactly match the reservation (sometimes happens with two last names, or when "Junior" is considered an additional last name instead of a suffix like in Brazil), so using a barcode does away with those.

Search this Thread