Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rewards Processing center letter Magazines??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2007, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, NWA Miles, Airliners.net
Cool Rewards Processing center letter Magazines??

IS this a real AA document letter sent to me stating the following

"Don't let your AA miles remain unused any longer. Redeem them now for your choice of Rewards for absolutely NO CASH COST.
Important: Orders must be postmarked by 04/08/07. Simply indicate your selections on the reverse side and return in the envelope provided.
Thank you for choosing American Airlines "

Weird after I wrote that out I can see now they did not clearly state that my miles are expiring . . .I am freaking out that I don't want to lose my miles. . And if so I have no been on a AA mile flight in quite some time. How long do I have before I do lose my miles. I suppose they would let me know. . . This is my first post I have been with airliners.net for quite some time but thought I would give this site a try. . .

Jeffrey . .
Old Mar 23, 2007, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
If you look at your points total on AA.com you can see when they expire. I am amazed you were on airliners.net before this.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Welcome to FT! Some of the AA posters do not respond in the friendliest manner but you will still find good information here.

To find out when your miles are expiring, go to AA.com, login to your account, go to View My Miles, and on the lower left side on the screen you will see words such as "Miles with Expiration Deferred Through...." and the date that your miles are due to expire. If your miles are near expiration, you can make sure that they don't expire by showing some new activity on your account.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
I am amazed you were on airliners.net before this.
I am not surprised. I am surprised when we get a new member who is not a devotee of airliners.net.

OP - any activity at all will keep all your miles active for three more years. You don't have to fly. Get miles from any source (credit card, dining, flowers, brokerage, etc.) will work. See partners on AA.com.

or - any use of miles will count. Transfer to Hilton, transfer to a family member's account, donate to charity, etc.

There are a lot of threads here on this. Try search on "expiring" or "expire".
Old Mar 23, 2007, 7:20 pm

Programs: Top Tiers for 2013 AA, MR, PC Thanks FT!
It seems I learn something new every day while reading FT. I never heard of airliners.net but will check it out now. Will definitely have to get my head out of the sand more often.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
You will regret the visit unless you have at least 10 baseball caps with names of airlines on them.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 1:08 am

All joking aside, I will say that these magazine offer letters seem designed to trick the reader into thinking exactly what the OP did -- that your miles are expiring, and that you should use them to get magazines. It really does border on deceptive advertising, given how little some people know about mile expiration rules.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 5:59 am

Programs: Top Tiers for 2013 AA, MR, PC Thanks FT!
Definitely agree with rbessler....been there, thought that (in the old days before I knew about FT!)
Old Mar 25, 2007, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rbessler
All joking aside, I will say that these magazine offer letters seem designed to trick the reader into thinking exactly what the OP did -- that your miles are expiring, and that you should use them to get magazines. It really does border on deceptive advertising, given how little some people know about mile expiration rules.
Why would AA want to trick someone into using their miles? AA will have to pay for the subscription. If you use your miles on an AA flight, it will be on a seat that AA's yield management figured would be empty anyway. The best scenario for AA, of course, is for you not to use them at all. I think the letter is a way to provide value to customers who are not redeeming their miles for tickets.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I got a very similar letter concerning some orphan CO miles - interesting in that CO miles do not expire.

My guess is that they simply send the letters to low-balance accounts on many different airlines (and in the case of the CO letter, they carelessly didn't remove the text concerning expiration).
Old Mar 26, 2007, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, NWA Miles, Airliners.net
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
If you look at your points total on AA.com you can see when they expire. I am amazed you were on airliners.net before this.
Cool Thank You.
I guess I have got until the following - Miles with Expiration Deferred Through 3/05/10

Thanks for the responses.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 11:44 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Admirals Club, TrueBlue, AF/KLM Flying Blue
Originally Posted by gemac
Why would AA want to trick someone into using their miles? AA will have to pay for the subscription. If you use your miles on an AA flight, it will be on a seat that AA's yield management figured would be empty anyway. The best scenario for AA, of course, is for you not to use them at all. I think the letter is a way to provide value to customers who are not redeeming their miles for tickets.
I am pretty sure that in the big-picture, it is beneficial for AA if you use your miles for magazine subscriptions, points.com, etc. over actually using them to get on one of their aircraft.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by unitedPSbusiness
I am pretty sure that in the big-picture, it is beneficial for AA if you use your miles for magazine subscriptions, points.com, etc. over actually using them to get on one of their aircraft.
Well, perhaps. If this communication is sent primarily to those who have little activity in their account and not enough miles to get a domestic ticket, then I'm sure the magazines are not beneficial to AA. I guess we are both speculating, but I think we would both agree that the most beneficial for AA is if you let them expire.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I've gotten letters like this for FF accounts in which I have little activity. My AA account is very active, but for the others I'm willing to order magazines and newspapers. Have kept a Wall St. Journal subscription going for a very long time with elderly FF miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.