Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When is it worth it to use miles?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2007, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Travelergcp
I would personally value biz class awards at their discounted equivalent. Say $2500 for an I fare LAX-LHR.
Unless you would actually buy a business class ticket, I think this is too high a valuation. I'd agree with UncleDude that the value of a business award should be about the discount fare + copay - upgrade miles. This is fair as both award seats and upgrade seats are capacity controlled. You have a bit more flexibility in terms of date changes and such with an award than with with an upgrade, but not a whole lot.

So, the cash value of LAX-LHR in June
$1k fare + $600 copay - $300 in taxes and fees on an award = $1300

The miles cost of LAX-LHR milesaaver
90k miles - 50k miles for the upgrade + 11k miles foregone = 51k miles (and potentially much more if the 11k q-miles are important to you)

for a total of 2.5 ¢/mi which is a good use of miles but not the fantastic deal you might suspect from looking at the full (or even discount) business fares.

On the other hand, if and only if you'd otherwise buy a business class ticket with cash money, the value could be much higher, as high as a I fare at $3200 (-$300 = 3.2¢/mi), provided you can get an award on the dates you want; discount suitably if getting an award requires you to rearrange your travel plans. As others have pointed out, the value can increase dramatically for last-minute bookings.

That's it for the value of awards which is relatively easy to establish, although it may vary from person to person. The value of the miles is much harder to establish. If you have millions of miles just sitting around not collecting interest, even 1¢/mi may be worthwhile (heck, even buying your Aadmirals club membership with miles may be worthwhile). Likewise, if you've waited years to amass the 75k miles to take the family to see Aunt Mildred in PBI, and you otherwise wouldn't take the trip, that may be a great use of miles for you even if it's only 1¢/mi. Most of us around here are somewhere in between.

Michael
Old Mar 20, 2007, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by gemac
I will do a mileage run whenever the cost is less than one cent per mile.
Do you count time spent in deciding whether a mileage run is worthwhile, or is it fun enough that you put it down to entertainment (i.e. the choice is between sitting on the couch watching a movie or sitting at 35k feet watching a movie and earning miles)?

Michael
Old Mar 20, 2007, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WhoME
Do you count time spent in deciding whether a mileage run is worthwhile, or is it fun enough that you put it down to entertainment (i.e. the choice is between sitting on the couch watching a movie or sitting at 35k feet watching a movie and earning miles)?

Michael
No. I don't count anything else. The spread between one cent or less (to earn 'em) and two cents or more (to use 'em) is to cover things like:
My time (not a lot of value, I like to fly)
Parking
Purchases of food
Hotel sometimes
etc.

I don't like to complicate it too much.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT (2MM-- thank you FT!), UAL, DL, AF, BA
While I appreciate all this 'new math', for me the equation is far simpler: I fly to europe from LAX approximately once a year for pleasure. I earn roughly enough miles in a given year for a free business class or first class ticket (90-125K, mostly non-BIS).

economy from lax-europe is misery.
business class is decent.
first class makes the flight seem like it's 2 hours long.

As a result, as a nonelite (but Plat challenge this year after June 14, thanks to FT!!), it's a simple equation for me: pay for domestic tickets (usually in Y, sometimes in J/F), and my reward is an upgraded (in a slow year or depending on availability) or usually complimentary premium flight abroad.

the only exception is, if I have extra miles, maybe I'll upgrade lax-miami-caribbean, as that's a lot of flying for a cheap upgrade cost.

I understand that this reasoning is unique to my situation, but from where I sit, using miles for a 3 hour flight in Y is not the best use of them--- better to save them for something more substantial. then again, if you don't fly very much and don't have any particular, specific alternate goal for those miles, then why not use them?

just my two cents, and probably not worth anything close to that...
Old Mar 21, 2007, 7:32 am

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
The Citi Reduced Mileage Awards often can be great 'excuses' to burn miles, especially when they're at signicant savings over the "normal" mileage required. Example: Last fall, 82K for a First Class, 777, roundtrip to EZE. Not bad at all, considering the 43K difference between that & what it usually is.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 7:44 am

Programs: AA-plt
Originally Posted by olimaspecto
Sorry, I forgot my 1 in there Should have been $19K+
there was (is) a 1, oli's original post shows $19k, but the "quote" shows 9....weird
Old Mar 21, 2007, 7:46 am

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
Originally Posted by san2yul
I think 2 cents a mile is a good measure. So if you use them for a tix for say around $500 then you are doing well but as the previous person mentioned, the best usuage for most frequent flyers is thru upgrades.... Of course don't forget that buying a tix earns you miles so the real cost of the $376 tix maybe closer to $276 (about 5K miles if you are an elite and fly RT from DFW to LAX).

Just my 2 cents (a mile)... ^
I concur - I tend to save/hoard my miles for upgrades only. For domestic flights, I'll only use miles on flights like ORD-OGG or ORD-ANC (If AA can hurry up and load their special summer flights). I look at how long it took me to earn those 25K miles so I'm not willing to give them up too easily.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 7:57 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
I use miles for family and such. I prefer to pay so I get EQM for me. They don't fly enough to warrant challenges as they would not use the benefits, and it would nt be worth paying. Four family members coming for Thanksgiving FLL-SJC in F, 180K miles. Having them here. Priceless

Cheers.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 9:14 am

I think the best use of miles (for me) is for things that I would just never get any other way. Just echoing what others have posted, but there's really no way that I could forsee spending over 8-10 thousand dollars on a single flight, at least not in the near future. But through some fairly easy planning (dining, cc miles, flying) I can get lots of them. For me if it's something I could afford fairly easily anyways it's a waste. Life is long and I expect to get a lot of long distance travel done sooner or later and flying J or F changes everything about the trip.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 9:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by brp
I use miles for family and such. I prefer to pay so I get EQM for me. They don't fly enough to warrant challenges as they would not use the benefits, and it would nt be worth paying. Four family members coming for Thanksgiving FLL-SJC in F, 180K miles. Having them here. Priceless

Cheers.
If you get me an F ticket, I will also join you. But it has to be AFS F. I don't do two-cabin...
Old Mar 21, 2007, 9:59 am

Programs: AA EXP (1MM), Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by loudgonzo
there was (is) a 1, oli's original post shows $19k, but the "quote" shows 9....weird
Post was edited after the person quoted his post...

I usually try to use the million mile giveaway as an indicator. According to another thread, 25k miles = $210... If the ticket is more than that, I use miles.

Just kidding of course!
Old Mar 21, 2007, 12:05 pm
Suspended

I spend miles when the ticket is priced at around 2 cents per mile.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by skye1
The Citi Reduced Mileage Awards often can be great 'excuses' to burn miles, especially when they're at signicant savings over the "normal" mileage required. Example: Last fall, 82K for a First Class, 777, roundtrip to EZE. Not bad at all, considering the 43K difference between that & what it usually is.
Sure - if Citi ever gets around to posting the reduced mileage awards. See the related thread.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 3:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Plt, 3.0MM Admiral's Club
Originally Posted by handlea
Sorry to ask a newbie question, but does anyone know what the best use of my miles are?

It's so hard to find "milesaver" awards now, so I feel like I should use miles whenever I can find an award seat.

Right now I'm deciding on a $376 fare r/t dfw-lax, to use the milesaver 25k award....

Any input?

Thanks!
I consider my miles to be worth about .02 per mile and calculate that when making the buy/fly free decision. Of course if you can't get an award seat it becomes moot, but with reasonable notice you should be able to get a seat.

Personally I only fly FC on award tickets and usually that is at holidays.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 8:13 pm

I just booked a triangle trip SFO-JFK-YUL-SFO for August for 25,000 miles. The ticket price is $760. That's over 3 cents per mile, a pretty good deal for a North American coach award, I think.

Ed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.