Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flew AA in Y this weekend

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2007, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, US Airways, SWA
Originally Posted by DillMan
Are you joking? T/A coach food is slop in a plastic tub. At least you can tell the entree from the warm side dish on domestic first.
Ummm, no. The MD-80 First class food from OAK-DFW was nearly the same as coach from the continent to ORD. Actually the cheeses and the pizza in coach from contient to ORD were better.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by gemac
Things change.
Yes, and at the rate of change over the last four years can you imagine what AA coach will be like two more years from now? Passengers will be lucky to have free air, let alone a bag of pretzels.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 5:36 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by DFWRaider
Yes, and at the rate of change over the last four years can you imagine what AA coach will be like two more years from now? Passengers will be lucky to have free air, let alone a bag of pretzels.
Hey, I think things will get better. They're going to reintroduce More Room Throughout Coach by removing the seats. You know how much room those take up?

Cheers.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP (1MM), Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
[QUOTE=newyorkgeorge;7430614](unless you are Nicole Richie).
QUOTE]

Cheap shot
Old Mar 19, 2007, 7:21 pm

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
[QUOTE=ScreenGuy;7432449]
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
(unless you are Nicole Richie).
QUOTE]

Cheap shot
is there any other kind?
Old Mar 19, 2007, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by jswadley
As someone new to the discussion, I'm curious what brings you to say this. What'll happen in the next 2 years?
Hopefully we'll be AArpey-free.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by UALfromMSN
Just so you all know, this was not intended to be a dig on AA. Everyone has their own favorite airlines, and they have their reasons. I hadn't flown AA in a few years, and was just comparing and contrasting to my regular choice.

No offense intended.
I always love it when that line is used either before or after the speaker has offended someone...... especially before
Old Mar 20, 2007, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1P; SPG Plat;
I thought I'd chime in on this thread since it was started by another UA 1K. I've just returned from a r/t LAX-FLL on AA this past week (arriving back home last night). I am a former AA Platinum from 8-9 years ago. I chose AA this time because it offered the only non-stop r/t flights to FLL from LAX.

The outbound trip was pretty uneventful, though I was "branded" by TSA for some reason and couldn't use OLCI. Nonetheless, I got to LAX about 70 minutes prior to my flight and eventually scored a good window/exit seat on the 757 (stuck around untili after upgrades were done and, sure enough, the exit row opened). Until then, however, I had been relegated to a window seat in LRTC. The flight was on time and my bag was first onto the carousel in FLL!

The return flight yesterday was another matter. Though I was able to use OLCI this time, I was unable to change my middle seat assignment. I was able to score a window seat at the gate and we boarded and departed on time. That's when the fun began. About 5 minutes after takeoff the pilot announced that there was a problem with the "airspeed" indicator and that we were returning to MIA (not FLL) to have it fixed. Upon landing at MIA we sat for 15 mins. before being told that our plane would not continue and they would try to find another plane. I had my assistant call AA (remember...no status on AA for me) and she was eventually able to get me booked on a MIA-LAX flight leaving in 45 mins (4:15 pm). As she says this, I see the new plane for my original flight (AA 2083) being tugged into the gate. I am at Gate E8, my new flight is at D43!

I eventually hop a cart to terminal D (and gave the driver a well deserved $5 bucks!) and arrived at my new gate in plenty of time for the 4:15 departure. I got another window seat in Y.....boy do I miss E+ on UA (I am 6'4"). As I am on the phone with my wife telling her our new arrival time, another announcement is made (that I don't really hear) followed by the FA's starting the in-flight video program. Uh-oh...

75 minutes later we finally depart MIA. Eventually I learn that my original flight had departed about 45 minutes earlier for LAX than this flight. I outfoxed myself again!

All in all, the AA personnel acted well and kept good attitudes through the day after what must have been a horrendous weekend. I was surprised, however, that they didn't do so much as free bottles of water, much less free cocktails. Usually, they don't announce such things, but when you order the drinks they just don't collect payment. These were all mechanical problems with AA aircraft, not weather related delays.

It did make me appreciate again the value of status with a given carrier and, particularly the UA E+ seating availability. While status "ensures" E+ seating, at least UA allows others to buy into this section. On AA, all Y seating is the same 32" pitch (other than exit rows). The only option is upgrading to Business or First which you can't do without status (other than paying the fare of course).

I flew AA this time because it seemed logical when it was the only non-stop service (other than Jet Blue from LGB..enough said). Murphy was in complete control on this trip (it was St. Patty's weekend after all). I did sign up with AA for the Gold challenge which I will complete next month so at least I will be able to reserve exit rows next time (right?).
Old Mar 20, 2007, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by clover
I thought I'd chime in on this thread since it was started by another UA 1K. I've just returned from a r/t LAX-FLL on AA this past week (arriving back home last night). I am a former AA Platinum from 8-9 years ago. I chose AA this time because it offered the only non-stop r/t flights to FLL from LAX.

The outbound trip was pretty uneventful, though I was "branded" by TSA for some reason and couldn't use OLCI. Nonetheless, I got to LAX about 70 minutes prior to my flight and eventually scored a good window/exit seat on the 757 (stuck around untili after upgrades were done and, sure enough, the exit row opened). Until then, however, I had been relegated to a window seat in LRTC. The flight was on time and my bag was first onto the carousel in FLL!

The return flight yesterday was another matter. Though I was able to use OLCI this time, I was unable to change my middle seat assignment. I was able to score a window seat at the gate and we boarded and departed on time. That's when the fun began. About 5 minutes after takeoff the pilot announced that there was a problem with the "airspeed" indicator and that we were returning to MIA (not FLL) to have it fixed. Upon landing at MIA we sat for 15 mins. before being told that our plane would not continue and they would try to find another plane. I had my assistant call AA (remember...no status on AA for me) and she was eventually able to get me booked on a MIA-LAX flight leaving in 45 mins (4:15 pm). As she says this, I see the new plane for my original flight (AA 2083) being tugged into the gate. I am at Gate E8, my new flight is at D43!

I eventually hop a cart to terminal D (and gave the driver a well deserved $5 bucks!) and arrived at my new gate in plenty of time for the 4:15 departure. I got another window seat in Y.....boy do I miss E+ on UA (I am 6'4"). As I am on the phone with my wife telling her our new arrival time, another announcement is made (that I don't really hear) followed by the FA's starting the in-flight video program. Uh-oh...

75 minutes later we finally depart MIA. Eventually I learn that my original flight had departed about 45 minutes earlier for LAX than this flight. I outfoxed myself again!

All in all, the AA personnel acted well and kept good attitudes through the day after what must have been a horrendous weekend. I was surprised, however, that they didn't do so much as free bottles of water, much less free cocktails. Usually, they don't announce such things, but when you order the drinks they just don't collect payment. These were all mechanical problems with AA aircraft, not weather related delays.

It did make me appreciate again the value of status with a given carrier and, particularly the UA E+ seating availability. While status "ensures" E+ seating, at least UA allows others to buy into this section. On AA, all Y seating is the same 32" pitch (other than exit rows). The only option is upgrading to Business or First which you can't do without status (other than paying the fare of course).

I flew AA this time because it seemed logical when it was the only non-stop service (other than Jet Blue from LGB..enough said). Murphy was in complete control on this trip (it was St. Patty's weekend after all). I did sign up with AA for the Gold challenge which I will complete next month so at least I will be able to reserve exit rows next time (right?).

There was a time a couple of years ago that the crew would have rewarded paxs for mechnical delays or the paxs boarding quickly when the crew was near going illegal with a free drink. But under the Arpey cost cutting mania those days are now gone. Instead you can pay $2 for a bottle or water of $3 for a pack of junk food. And given the older a/c that AA flies (MD 80,A300, 767) there may be even more mechnical delays.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have just flown UA Y on a leisure trip to a non-AA destination, and must say I was impressed by E+. I was given a chance to pay $29 at check-in to upgrade, and did so; even on a 2:20 flight, it was an experience that was far, far superior to the few times where an AA upgrade did not clear, and the bag of pretzels with the free can of soda very welcomed. And channel 9 was an absolute treat, something worth flying UA for.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA 1P; SPG Plat;
Originally Posted by hillrider
I have just flown UA Y on a leisure trip to a non-AA destination, and must say I was impressed by E+. I was given a chance to pay $29 at check-in to upgrade, and did so; even on a 2:20 flight, it was an experience that was far, far superior to the few times where an AA upgrade did not clear, and the bag of pretzels with the free can of soda very welcomed. And channel 9 was an absolute treat, something worth flying UA for.
I forgot to mention Ch9 as another thing I missed during my AA "odyssey" yesterday. Especially when things are "happening" during the flight it's an especially welcome diversion that helps pass the time. I suspect the pilot would have shut it off when we had to divert to MIA, but you never know. In any event, I felt "cheated" without Ch 9 as an option.

And I agree....$29 is an absolute bargain for the relative "comforts" of E+ on UA, especially if you can also score an exit row that way!
Old Mar 20, 2007, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Hopefully we'll be AArpey-free.
Unless you get someone like Tilton (UA)--a real money grubber.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.