No standby on International itineraries? A big downside to AA?

Old Mar 20, 2007, 11:11 am

Programs: AA, Hilton
This is definitely an AA rule, at least at LHR. I wrote about this same issue a year ago because I thought it was not a good (or a revenue generating) policy. It only seems to apply when you are inbound to the states. Once you are in ORD you can standby for just about anything going anywhere.

In my case I was leaving LHR headed to ORD, had no checked luggage, traveling alone, PLT and I went to the airport hours early because of schedule changes and thinking (at that time) I could try and standby. I tried sweet talking the ticketing agent, 2 admirals club agents, and 2 different flight gate agents and it was nope, policy changed a few years back, no standby's without a $250 (as I recall) change fee. So I sat and watch two flights take off before mine, totally wide open seating in Y. Then I boarded my planned flight hours later.

So they got no additional revenue, got me upset over the stupid rule, so I fly less international on AA (ie less revenue). I also wrote AA a letter. So I've accepted it...I don't like it, but that's the way it is and it is well documented in the ticket rules that way.

My suggestion to AA was; allow this for your elites (EXP, PLT and/or GLD's) and use it as a differentiator from non-elites. That might in fact increase their revenue and elite goodwill, which we all know definitely increases revenue.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by UNITED959
I'm pretty sure it is. I remember a few months ago, I was flying ORD-PVR...my booked routing was ORD-DFW-PVR. There was a non-stop that was wide open, but I was told the "you can't do standy on international tickets."
If you want to change flights, you have to quit buying cheap tickets.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DataPlumber
If you want to change flights, you have to quit buying cheap tickets.
Haha. This wasn't a dirt cheap fare...cost me around $750. Next up was paid biz at $1800.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 4:01 pm

Actually, UA does not officially allow standby for international travel.

From S*FAR/STANDBY:

STANDBY FOR U.S. 50 STATES / SJU/STT / CANADA
THIS INCLUDES OA CODE SHARE THAT IS UA OPERATED
INTERNATIONAL: STANDBY NOT PERMITTED
Old Mar 21, 2007, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alliance

From S*FAR/STANDBY:
Is this a particular fare? If it's systemwide, it's definitely a forgotten rule...
Old Mar 21, 2007, 7:19 am

Programs: AA Platinum
I have been able to go standby when leaving the US (ORD & DFW) heading the the UK but haven't had any luck when returning. In fact I recently found out they don't really seem to embrace the flat tire rule either!!!!
Old Mar 21, 2007, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by UNITED959
Is this a particular fare? If it's systemwide, it's definitely a forgotten rule...
That is the systemwide non-$25 confirmed regular standby policy/rules. You are quite correct that most agents will let you standby on an international segment - but it is in violation of policy and they absolutly don't have to let you.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by skAAtinsteph
In fact I recently found out they don't really seem to embrace the flat tire rule either!!!!
Correct. The normal 2-hr flat-tire rule is only for domestic segments. International missed flights fall under UA's rule 80 policy.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 11:29 am

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
Originally Posted by gemac
What I was chiming in on was a discussion of missing your scheduled flight and standing by on a later flight. There is no guarantee that I would be the only one standing by on that later flight. Probably not, and I could end up stranding someone else.
I understand your revenue argument. But just to be fair it can also work against the carrier in situations where it would have been more profitable to get rid of some pax by clearing them on to earlier flights, thus opening up more last minute (i.e. high fare) seats to sell on the later flights or use to accommodate disserviced pax that misconnected earlier (as opposed to issuing meal vouchers and hotel rooms and depleting inventory that could have been sold if space had been freed up by letting others fly in empty seats that otherwise would not be used earlier).

With standby you are taking your chances. With a flexible fare you have more of a guarantee.

Also, how could you "strand" another pax by flying standby? For example, at UA the Boarding Priority (BP) level assigned to you on the standby list is based on a variety of factors. There are different BP levels for a disserviced customer versus a customer who is just trying to go early. Similarly, customers with confirmed reservations that are awaiting seat assignments have a much higher BP on the standby list than either of the prevoius examples. Each BP level is further sorted by status, fare paid and time added to the list, but even a General Member with a confirmed reservation without a seat assignment (BP1) will always be cleared before a disserviced customer (BP5A) or a customer trying to go early (BP5C).

AA has a similar system, right? So how could a standby pax "strand" anyone other than a NRSA employee or another revenue pax who also felt like trying standby to go early?

Last edited by John26; Mar 21, 2007 at 11:35 am
Old Mar 22, 2007, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

That is the systemwide non-$25 confirmed regular standby policy/rules. You are quite correct that most agents will let you standby on an international segment - but it is in violation of policy and they absolutly don't have to let you.
Interesting. Then I suggest this thread gets entirely erased so we don't remind UA of their policies...
Old Mar 22, 2007, 10:30 pm
FTW

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Due to a major accident, I once arrived at DFW too late to check my bag for an international AA flight. The TA said I could either fly without my baggage or go the next day for no charge. Because I was delivering items overseas and had to have the luggage...and because I had a day's lee way...I took the flight the next day. (She even rebooked me on the onward partner airline flights also in my reservation.)

Did this have to do with the fact that I could still have flown on my original flight(s)? Or was I just damn lucky to get the next day option for free? It's still the only flight I've ever "missed"...but I technically didn't (have to) miss it. (This was 2005.)

During the snow event on January 17, I seem to recall an FTer getting stuck in slow traffic and missing the earlier DFW-NRT flight. Said FTer was rebooked on the later midday flight (with upgrade), I think for no extra charge.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From S*FAR/STANDBY:
Hmmm...we're talking about a missed trip, which is governed for international flights by UA's rule 80 as referenced in S*FAR/STANDBY, found at S*FAR/UA1-RULE 80 MORE 2
F‡ MISSED TRIP PROVISION
IF A PASSENGER HOLDING CONFIRMED RESERVATIONS AND
TICKETS MISSES THE FLIGHT AND PRESENTS HIMSELF/HERSELF
AT THE UA DEPARTURE AIRPORT TICKET COUNTER AFTER THE
CLOSE OUT OF THE SCHEDULED FLIGHT AND NO LATER THAN
2 HOURS AFTER THE SCHEDULED DEPARTURE TIME THE
PASSENGER WILL BE ACCOMMODATED ON A STANDBY BASIS
ON THE NEXT AVAILABLE UA FLIGHT POSSIBLY THE NEXT
DAY‡ AND THE SERVICE CHARGE/CHANGE FEE WILL BE WAIVED.
AA's rule 80 is silent on missed trips, and so are the conditions of carriage.
Old May 12, 2007, 8:09 pm

Standby for international flights

I had 2 interesting conversations with AA Plat customer service today. I was trying to see if I could book a later flight from JAX to Pos at a cheaper cost and then do same day standby for an earlier one..1st agent says yes -Show up to the airport and if there is room they will put you on.. A couple of hours later call back concerning award travel and ask the same question concerning standby and I asked if i had a revenue ticket could I go standby for an earlier flight I was told no.Then i told the CSR about my earlier conversation and she says that she is trained to say no however if i was at the airport it would be up to the check in staff to put me on the flight.. Anybody have any experience with this situation and can I standby for earlier int'l flights
Old May 12, 2007, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
This thread found by search is quite recent:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...tional+standby

However, the same day confirmed option is available for Caribbean flights.

http://www.aa.com/content/utility/sameDayTravel.jhtml

The Moderator moved this quickly!
Old May 12, 2007, 8:42 pm

Thanks to the moderator for sending me in the right direction

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.