Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Coach GRR to EZE. Recommend routing through DFW w/ 1 layover or MIA w/2 layovers?

Coach GRR to EZE. Recommend routing through DFW w/ 1 layover or MIA w/2 layovers?

Old Mar 17, 07, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Platinum AA, LatinPass Million Miler

I'm flying GRR to EZE on an award flight in coach. I've read other posts that recommend flying the MIA flight on a 777 rather than the flight from DFW on a 767. I "think" that most of the recommendations referrred to a better flight in business or first on the 777. Don't know if the same recommendation would apply to coach flights. The flight through MIA connects in ORD, so there are 2 connections, There is a flight from GRR to EZE with (I think I'm reading it correctly) only 1 connection in DFW. Total flying time is comparable, about 17 hours.

Also, I don't know if their are differences in coach seats between a 777 and 767 but would appreciate advise from the experts. I do suffer from some neck pain and find airline seats that tip forward near the head extremely uncomfortable. For some, that "tip" must hit at the back of the neck. For me it hits me in the back of my head and pushes my head forward. If the seat is more vertical, I find it much more comfortable.

I would appreciatate your recommendations for my particular situation.
Old Mar 17, 07, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by vandykes44 View Post
I'm flying GRR to EZE on an award flight in coach. I've read other posts that recommend flying the MIA flight on a 777 rather than the flight from DFW on a 767. I "think" that most of the recommendations referrred to a better flight in business or first on the 777. Don't know if the same recommendation would apply to coach flights. The flight through MIA connects in ORD, so there are 2 connections, There is a flight from GRR to EZE with (I think I'm reading it correctly) only 1 connection in DFW. Total flying time is comparable, about 17 hours.

Also, I don't know if their are differences in coach seats between a 777 and 767 but would appreciate advise from the experts. I do suffer from some neck pain and find airline seats that tip forward near the head extremely uncomfortable. For some, that "tip" must hit at the back of the neck. For me it hits me in the back of my head and pushes my head forward. If the seat is more vertical, I find it much more comfortable.

I would appreciatate your recommendations for my particular situation.
The main difference I see in the coach seats themselves is that the 777 will have a video monitor and programing at each individual seat whereas the 767 will have only the TV screens scattered throughout the cabin (with everyone watching the same show).

If you can get an exit row on the 777, you have tons of leg room. The 767 exit row has added legroom, but the 777 is even more.

If you are concerned about neck pain, then I would think the lowest flying time would be the optimal itinerary.
Old Mar 17, 07, 6:49 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd go via ORD and MIA, as I prefer the 777. They offer a better IFE than the 767s. The seats are comparable.
Old Mar 17, 07, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1 Million; HH Gold; HGVC
777 is nicer - better video feature if that is important. But I'd stay away from MIA right now w/ high level terror alert - they are rude, and sometimes difficult to deal w/ in MIA and not so in DFW. Just my opinion. Have a great trip.
Old Mar 18, 07, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by vandykes44 View Post
I've read other posts that recommend flying the MIA flight on a 777 rather than the flight from DFW on a 767. I "think" that most of the recommendations referrred to a better flight in business or first on the 777.
I know this is a secondary issue of the question, but I think the comment about business is incorrect. I'm intentionally picking EZE-DFW or EZE-JFK in business later in the year just because of the 767. It should be a better seat (either new seat or old). That is, unless AA installs NGBC seats on the 777 sooner than I thought.
Old Mar 18, 07, 9:33 pm

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA AA-EXP 1MM, HH-Diamond, SPG-Platinum, Hertz-President's Circle
Coach is better on the 777 and the 777 is by far my favorite aircraft, but MIA is the pits, especially if you have to go through Immigration there. I have not been through Immigration in DFW since terminal D opened, but I am told it is not bad at all. ANYTHING is better than MIA. I would rather route myself through JFK coming back from South America if DFW was not an option and do customs there rather than MIA. Also the cabin crews out of MIA are not great either, in my experience. Also having 2 connections doubles your chances of mis-connecting.
Old Mar 19, 07, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I really don't see how the draw of the 777 is worth making two stops and havign to re-enter the country in MIA.
Old Mar 20, 07, 7:51 am

Programs: Mediocre AA Stew
Is IFE that important on an all night service? If not, take the 767 from DFW because you will sleep anyway.

Search this Thread