MD-83 First Class

Old Mar 16, 07, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
MD-83 First Class

I am sure this is covered in another thread, but no matter what I type in seach, it has 0 matches.

We just got first class (Z) award tickets DCA-HNL. They are routing us DCA-STL-LAX-HNL with the 1st 2 legs on MD's. Return is HNL-SFO-ORD-DCA. Any other routing would have been double miles.

What is First Class like on the MD's? Will we have lounge access during layovers?

Thanks for your input.

Todd
Old Mar 16, 07, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker View Post
I am sure this is covered in another thread, but no matter what I type in seach, it has 0 matches.
Search does not work if your search string has any word that is three characters or less.

That being said, F in the MD-80 is not fundamentally different than domestic F on any other narrowbody plane (though the seats are probably less preferable to those in the 738 or the 757). And no, you don't get lounge access on wholly domestic (non-transcon) itineraries unless you pay for it, as is discussed in numerous threads and on aa.com.

Mike
Old Mar 16, 07, 10:29 am

Programs: AA PLT-Lite. UA Recovering 1k, HH Silver
What is First Class like on the MD's? Will we have lounge access during layovers?
Fairly typical domestic First Class. Would be called Business class in most of the rest of the world. Free drinks, in glass, some more leg room (right side slightly more than left) a little more attention, bigger seats....

No you won't have lounge access on what AA considers an entirely domestic yet not trans-con itinerary.
Old Mar 16, 07, 10:34 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm

We just got first class (Z) award tickets DCA-HNL. They are routing us DCA-STL-LAX-HNL with the 1st 2 legs on MD's. Return is HNL-SFO-ORD-DCA. Any other routing would have been double miles.

Thanks for your input.

Todd
FC on the MD is fine, I prefer the right side (starboard). Seats are equivalent to 738s, but not as nice as widebodies.

No Adm Club access for domestic FC (assuming you're not an AC member and don't want to shell out the $ 50 for a day pass).
Old Mar 16, 07, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Thanks for all of the quick responses. This is our 1st First class award. We did pick right side seats on the 80 so, we are set there.

The $50 lounge access-is that a one time charge PER lounge or can we enter any lounge on our itinerary on a given day?
Old Mar 16, 07, 10:40 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...

The $50 lounge access-is that a one time charge PER lounge or can we enter any lounge on our itinerary on a given day?
Per 24 hour day.

Cheers.
Old Mar 16, 07, 10:42 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Thanks for all of the quick responses. This is our 1st First class award. We did pick right side seats on the 80 so, we are set there.

aa.com would be you best place to look for the details.

You can buy the pass online there too I believe.

NOTE the $50 day pass is for one person .. additional people (we?) are more money (tho not $50 each) [hint aa.com]
Old Mar 16, 07, 10:44 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by brp View Post
Per 24 hour day.

Cheers.
and per person. Since you're visiting 4 airports (DCA, STL, LAX and HNL) in one day, it might make sense to get away from the crowds.
Old Mar 16, 07, 10:46 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cynicAAl View Post
and per person.
Yup. I think it's $75 for two. But, as noted, AA.com has answers to this, and many other very basic questions.

Cheers.
Old Mar 16, 07, 10:56 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Originally Posted by cynicAAl View Post
and per person. Since you're visiting 4 airports (DCA, STL, LAX and HNL) in one day, it might make sense to get away from the crowds.
We AC members tend to not know the full and complete details for non-members at times.

Thats why unless I look it up for the poster it is better to refer to the 'bible' at aa.com (and since this computer in the hospital only allows on session cannot lookup/copy/paste).

BTW .. The OP probably will not WANT to use the HNL lounge (it is located in a different wing than the AA flights .. it is located near where Qantas departs .. look up aa.com airports for a link to the map) as they will probably want to claim their luggage and start their holiday. However be CERTAIN to use it on the return!

Same thing on the way home, would you use the DCA lounge when you are now at your home airport? Maybe other than to check some e-mail attachments your Blackberry did not get???

No one else has mentioned that should the OP choose to 'join' the AC within 30 days of u to 2 paid visits .. they can deduct the amount paid for the one-day pass(es). i guess someone with enough miles for A Hawaii route might want to consider joining!
Old Mar 16, 07, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for your great advice and quick responses.

I will look into joining as we have other AA flights booked as well.

We started using them through some Marriott travel packages and I find their award program one of the easiest to use. Maybe the rewards aren't always there, but checking availablility is easy and holding the tix 2 weeks is awesome.
Old Mar 16, 07, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by nomore1k View Post
Fairly typical domestic First Class. Would be called Business class in most of the rest of the world. Free drinks, in glass, some more leg room (right side slightly more than left) a little more attention, bigger seats....
I don't know about that. 'Business Class' in Europe is the same lousy seats as coach, but sometimes with no one in the center seat.
Old Mar 16, 07, 11:33 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
I don't know about that. 'Business Class' in Europe is the same lousy seats as coach, but sometimes with no one in the center seat.
Not so on BA. They actually stretch the seats out and widen them in ClubEurope (I think it's called). They are actually wider (albeit not by much) than the coach seats. I watched a FA demonstrate the stretch and unstretch operations

Cheers.
Old Mar 16, 07, 11:35 am

Programs: AA PLT-Lite. UA Recovering 1k, HH Silver
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
Lots of threads over in the BA forum, for example, hash that out. Some airlines have real Biz class cabins, some modify the front few rows of coach. Some feel they're the same lousy seats, some think the front rows are better in some ways (moveable armrests create wider seats, etc.)

Regardless, in most of the world (there are exceptions in addition to the US), if you offered a narrow body 2-2 configuration with free drinks and less than 40" pitch, you would call it "Business Class" just as AA does when it flies the same planes/service to Mexico and the Caribbean.
Old Mar 16, 07, 11:55 am

Programs: OW Emerald/AA EXP, DL Plat, SPG Plat,
From personal experience, the staff at the DCA and STL clubs are excellent. The DCA AAngels are great and getting you out of a bind if weather, ATCs, delays kick in. The STL are also great with that as well, and the STL bartender is an FT lurker (we're slowly converting him....)
LAX is, IMHO, one of the better facilities in terms of clubs, with showers, Bose Listening areas, childrens play area, etc. AND, if you're there around the times the Qantas flights are leaving, the food offerings are a little better and the staff at the Qantas end of the upstairs counter will give you & yours a travel kit upon asking (great if you want to freshen up w/o digging thru your carry-ons/luggage for toothbrush, razor, etc.).

Definitely a good call for choosing the seats on the "right" side of the plane...there truly is more room there than just across the aisle. One plus of the "Mad Dogs" is that, while yeah they can feel dowright claustrophic after a few hours, with the engines in back, F is quieter than F on other equipment, def. quieter than the 757s.

If you know you're going to buy a day pass then use its cost as a discount toward membership, it probably goes without saying to time that so you buy your day pass on the outbound then use the clubs as a new member on the return.

Search this Thread