Escape from seat 41E? Game plan ideas?

Old Mar 15, 07, 7:49 pm
dtc
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Gold, SPG Gold
Escape from seat 41E? Game plan ideas?

I just got a notice that Flight 18 from SFO-JFK tonight was cancelled due to snow.

(My sources in NY claim that the snow isn't expected to be bad - JetBlue paranoia?)

And now I'm on Flight 24 tomorrow - but in seat 41E.

Next to the bathrooms and no powerport. Argh.

I only have 1 sticker left - and there are 3 seats open in First, unknown in Business, and non left in Coach.

Should I try using the sticker? Is there a better strategy?
Old Mar 15, 07, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz 5*, Marriott PLT
From what I see the flight is F0 Y0 which means they are selling no more seats for that flight.

For anyone to get an upgrade is gonna be tough unless there's a no show.

Short of any seats being held back at the airport, its gonna be tough to change seats from where you are. Check online frequently for someone who may have cancelled their flight and then you can grab their seat.

If your plans are flexible, you could probably get a bump from this flight to one later in the day and maybe also snag a confirmed seat in first on a later flight. The 1:30pm flight has one seat available and the 3:40pm flight currently has 6 seats available.

That 8am is gonna be tough though.
Old Mar 15, 07, 8:14 pm
dtc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by j3823x View Post
From what I see the flight is F0 Y0 which means they are selling no more seats for that flight.

For anyone to get an upgrade is gonna be tough unless there's a no show.

Short of any seats being held back at the airport, its gonna be tough to change seats from where you are. Check online frequently for someone who may have cancelled their flight and then you can grab their seat.

If your plans are flexible, you could probably get a bump from this flight to one later in the day and maybe also snag a confirmed seat in first on a later flight. The 1:30pm flight has one seat available and the 3:40pm flight currently has 6 seats available.

That 8am is gonna be tough though.
Yowsers. Unfortunately, I have to be there by then - especially since I'm coming back on Sunday.

I guess I should just consider myself lucky for getting an SMS and calling before everyone else did.
Old Mar 15, 07, 8:14 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dtc View Post

I only have 1 sticker left - and there are 3 seats open in First, unknown in Business, and non left in Coach.

Should I try using the sticker? Is there a better strategy?
If you clear, It's going to take more than one sticker. That's a 4 or 5 sticket route.
Old Mar 15, 07, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA EX PLT
That is not a great seat. I flew in that exact seat recently LAX-JFK, my flight was cxlled too and the flight was oversold. If you can fly later in the day, I would strongly urge you to take a later flight. It is pretty miserable back there for the length of a transcon. It felt like slow torture. And I am only 5' 9 inches aqnd skinny. Can't imagine for a larger person.
Old Mar 15, 07, 8:17 pm
dtc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HNL View Post
If you clear, It's going to take more than one sticker. That's a 4 or 5 sticket route.
You're right. My brain translates stickers to be "SFO-JFK" stickers - I think in blocks of 6.

Actually, the site says right now that I need 0 upgrades to upgrade. That's probably a bug.

Finally, thanks for prompting me to check again, I found that 25E opened up since I last checked! Moving forwards...
Old Mar 15, 07, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
You're right. My brain translates stickers to be "SFO-JFK" stickers - I think in blocks of 6.

Actually, the site says right now that I need 0 upgrades to upgrade. That's probably a bug.

Finally, thanks for prompting me to check again, I found that 25E opened up since I last checked! Moving forwards...
As a PLT, your upgrades are free on Y fares. It's possible when they re-booked you, they put you into that fare class. And if not, I'd still put in for the upgrade, moving from a middle seat to business class on a transcon is worth it, I'd think.

That said, given the unlikelyhood of it clearing anyway, I'd avoid doing an early online check-in. That leaves you free to change seats. Some are held for airport control; once those open, folks may start shifting and you'll likely be able to improve.
Old Mar 15, 07, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.7MM, AC
The weather is suppossed to be nasty - its already turned to a wintery mix. They keep switching but I think we have a minimum of 4 inches up to say a foot or so. So I don't know if you'll be on that flight either.
Old Mar 15, 07, 8:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
Beg for a seat in row 17, as this is a 763.
Old Mar 15, 07, 8:46 pm
dtc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by swag View Post
That said, given the unlikelyhood of it clearing anyway, I'd avoid doing an early online check-in. That leaves you free to change seats. Some are held for airport control; once those open, folks may start shifting and you'll likely be able to improve.

Indeed, it looks like they rebooked me into Y. That explains that. Just changed seats to 32C - at least its an aisle.

Is there ever a reason to do early online check-in? It seems to me that it's more disadvantageous than anything else.
Old Mar 15, 07, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA 1 Million/Gold, AA EXP 3mm, Hilton/Marriott/Starwood Gold
Is there ever a reason to do early online check-in? It seems to me that it's more disadvantageous than anything else.
Yes. If you've requested an upgrade that hasn't cleared, check-in time matters for your priority. Other than that, I don't know of a reason.

Search this Thread