Empty Exit Rows?

Old Mar 14, 07, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP-1MM
Empty Exit Rows?

On a recent FRA-ORD 763 flight I had seat 20-B. At the time the aircraft doors closed, I was the only person on row 20. Eventually other people drifted up to the row. I thought the airline would want at least one person by each exit door, so if enough elites do not sign up, the desk/gate will assign non-elites (at least one to a door). Or do they simply not care if the seats go empty? In an emergency, I can't see someone rushing to the exit and stopping to figure out how to open the door! Row 21 was occupied.
Old Mar 14, 07, 1:43 pm

Regardless of whether AA would or would not want exit rows occupied, I don't think it's realistic to expect that each exit row would be at least partially occupied during each flight. Probability of that exit being used (or a lack thereof) probably has something to do with it, but the other part may have to do with an inability to find people who are willing and able to sit in that row. (One cannot really force passengers unwilling to sit in that row to do so.)

Mike
Old Mar 14, 07, 1:48 pm

Programs: Some more than others
If I had to guess, I'd say that there was one or more last minute upgraders who abdicated their seats in row 20, leaving them empty. I've heard either gate or F/A announcements a few times looking for people willing to sit in the exit row, so I'm not sure what AA's policy is about leaving them empty.

IME, people who sit in the exit rows are a mixed bag. Some are VFF who sit there weekly, whereas others are occasional travelers who may not even realize they are in an exit row, let alone know how to operate it. So in an emergency, I think there could easily be people stopping to figure out how to open it even if they are already sitting there.
Old Mar 14, 07, 1:57 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2021 Titanium
Flew DFW to MSP on Feb 13th and enjoyed 20D on the MD80. No one sat between me and the PAX in 20F. Plane was 90% full. Very nice.

slpybear

PS - Yes, MN is cold. Very Cold!
Old Mar 14, 07, 2:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2021 Titanium
Originally Posted by SCChris View Post
If I had to guess, I'd say that there was one or more last minute upgraders who abdicated their seats in row 20, leaving them empty.
I agree with you... When looking to pick up an Exit row when they are taken, i just keep checking and I guess when upgrades clear, (seems like around 12 hours prior to TO?), I find a couple of ER seats open.
Old Mar 14, 07, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1 Million; HH Gold; HGVC
Just flew MD 80 on last leg of FCO - SAT flight. Sat in row twenty but seat on window did not recline. Is this normal?
Old Mar 14, 07, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by david7021 View Post
Just flew MD 80 on last leg of FCO - SAT flight. Sat in row twenty but seat on window did not recline. Is this normal?
Yep, that's exactly consistent with the information on the aa.com seat maps for the MD-80. 20A and 20E have an "X" shown thru them which means no recline.

Welcome to Flyertalk.
Old Mar 14, 07, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Was flight full?

I will often reserve exit window on TATL flights then switch at the gate to an empty row of 3 in attempt to get entire row to myself. At least 2x this year I have noticed my exit window stay empty for the entire flight.

YMMV
Old Mar 17, 07, 2:18 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Platinum
If time permits, I'm sure the FA's will move to the exit row other crew members (past and present) who may be on board, as well as police, fire, military, etc. passengers who are experienced in handling emergency situations. If time doesn't permit re-seating there could be some problems.
Old Mar 17, 07, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dfwdal View Post
If time permits, I'm sure the FA's will move to the exit row other crew members (past and present) who may be on board, as well as police, fire, military, etc. passengers who are experienced in handling emergency situations. If time doesn't permit re-seating there could be some problems.

I've never seen this done (FAs inquiring about on-board police, fire, etc.) in a million miles plus b-i-s.
Old Mar 18, 07, 1:33 pm

Trained flight attendants are seated next to doors, which are much faster moving exits than window exits. If the doors are unavailable, they will move to the windows and open them for you.
Old Mar 18, 07, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA Platinum/LT Gold(1.3MM current method/1.51MM old method)/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Flew DFW-SJC a few days ago..there was only one seat empty in the entire plane....21B....

I was going to snag it, but since I had 21F already, and with the guy in 21E much smaller than the guy in 21A, I figured it would be more advantageous just to stay in my seat...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: