Modifying awards on hold

Old Mar 14, 07, 1:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
Modifying awards on hold

Can one add cities to an award reservation on hold as long as it's within the requirements of that particular award class? Here's the scenario: some family members wanted help finding F awards ORD-LHR-CDG. I found the two Z seats they needed, but they were the last two.

I put them on hold right away. My thought was that, worst case scenario, they spend $500 for two BA tickets LHR-CDG. It's an overnight connection at LHR, so no worries about missing the flight and not being protected. However, they'd prefer (for obvious reasons) to just have CDG included in the award. They aren't willing, though, to risk losing the F seats they already have.
Old Mar 14, 07, 1:07 pm

You can change award reservations that you are just holding as often as you like before the ticketing deadline.
Old Mar 14, 07, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold
Yes, this is an option that many people have discussed on here as a way to avoid phone booking fees while still getting open jaws and/or stopovers. Hold the main segments, call up AA and have them modify it but leave it on hold. Go back to AA.com and purchase.
Old Mar 14, 07, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
IME they will often, without me asking, extend the ticketing deadline each time you make a change.
Old Mar 14, 07, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA PLAT; Hilton Gold; Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by acf573 View Post
Yes, this is an option that many people have discussed on here as a way to avoid phone booking fees while still getting open jaws and/or stopovers. Hold the main segments, call up AA and have them modify it but leave it on hold. Go back to AA.com and purchase.
AA got smart about that. Once a ticket agent touches it, AA.com requires you to call in to book it.
Old Mar 14, 07, 1:46 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Also, I'm assuming that even though it's under my reservations, someone else can "pay" for it with their miles?
Old Mar 14, 07, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Fly AA J all the way View Post
Thanks for the replies. Also, I'm assuming that even though it's under my reservations, someone else can "pay" for it with their miles?
Yes.
Old Mar 14, 07, 3:26 pm

Well, don't know if "I got lucky" but last year we had an open jaw ticket to JFK-KOA, LIH-JFK award for family of 4 during Xmas time that I found in April and was able to have on hold until May 1st (know I was lucky on getting 4 award seats and holiday so late). Originally got outbound flights on aa.com and then got return seats through agent. Then I went through aa.com and was able to pay for the tickets. On my account I was able to see that award was ticketed but I never got confirmation. So I called up, originally I was told everything was "ok" and there was a back up. The miles weren't deducted from my account but there $40 taxes were put on charge account. Took a while but they said I was supposed to have agent ticket it, they "gave it to me this time". Said thank you and let it ride. Fast forward to Feb. of this year. Put outbound flights on hold. Waited till return tickets appeared in system. Was just going to go JFK-LIH r/t... had NO plans to do open jaw. After many attempts couldn't get a return flight back so finally called up and got agent to get return flights for us from HNL.. albeit 3 on one flight and 1 a bit earlier doing a hop/skip/jump (returning Dec. 30th so knew it was going to be hard). Well held for 14 days and then had to ticket. Paid on aa.com. No problem. Got confirmation e-mail e-ticket.. no problem. Called up for seat assignment and got DH on our flight (again no problem). Miles were deducted from my account . And nobody said that I had to pay through agent so I saved $60. Will put that $$ to interisland flight to HNL. So my advice is to try it and see what you can get. Good luck
Carolyn
Old Mar 14, 07, 5:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by n5177c View Post
AA got smart about that. Once a ticket agent touches it, AA.com requires you to call in to book it.
Not my experience on another ticket today. Things were changed again, and they are actually going to be flying J instead, and one ticket was purchased for cash. I changed the flights and dates from the original hold while on the phone changing the award ticket. I then logged into aa.com and purchased the ticket online.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: