Guess What!!! Another Upgrading Q...?

 
Old Mar 12, 07, 3:19 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW
Programs: AA Gold, BAEC
Posts: 293
Guess What!!! Another Upgrading Q...?

So, a quickie...i think....i propose travelling on a b-fare mid july, and wonder which is the best route to dfw for upgrading? I was thinking lhr-ord-dfw all on AA67 with the hope of the F up, all using miles, but is the lgw-dfw AA79 a better option, with its pseudo F, J class......?

Anyone with experience of this route help please! Rather considerable dilemma on which route to purchase!!!

Many Thanks, you may just save a student plt!
a_fman is offline  
Old Mar 12, 07, 6:36 pm
  #2  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW
Programs: AA Gold, BAEC
Posts: 293
Anyone!!?
a_fman is offline  
Old Mar 12, 07, 6:41 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: SFO/MSY
Programs: AA Plat/4MM, AS Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 3,362
Op-ups are rare, and you should't think of them as something that may happen. It's something that rarely happens and if it does you're lucky. Accordingly, your best option is two take hte non-stop on the 767. You'll have a good chance
(come July) of getting the NGBC seats. Take the 763 and upgrade using miles.
olimaspecto is offline  
Old Mar 12, 07, 6:42 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SJC/VCE
Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Posts: 10,159
Maybe a little more information regarding what you hope to determine by "best" - do you mean more availability or better seats? And when you say upgrade - what sort of upgrade to you anticipate - mileage,eVIP, op-up?
bdemaria is offline  
Old Mar 12, 07, 6:49 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: SFO/MSY
Programs: AA Plat/4MM, AS Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 3,362
Originally Posted by bdemaria View Post
Maybe a little more information regarding what you hope to determine by "best" - do you mean more availability or better seats? And when you say upgrade - what sort of upgrade to you anticipate - mileage,eVIP, op-up?
This is a good point. It seems to me from reading the first post, that the OP wants to get as many free upgrades as he can for minimal effort. Its SO rare that one would upgrade from Y to J on miles AND get an upgrade from J to F (thus why it is known on FT as the "elusive double upgrade") that it is silly to plan your flight schedules on the potential for this happening. Then again, if there is C available on AA67 (DFW-ORD-LHR), but not on the DFW-LGW non-stop, then that may be a different story.
olimaspecto is offline  
Old Mar 13, 07, 3:03 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW
Programs: AA Gold, BAEC
Posts: 293
Sorry, bad way of wording the question, i meant all using miles on a b-class fare, as in y to j tatl and then y to f within us. But i think would most likely be better on 763 hoping for that ngbc!
But yes, i do mean in terms of availability of C. What do people find has the most availbility in c between london and dfw?

Thanks.
a_fman is offline  
Old Mar 13, 07, 6:57 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SJC/VCE
Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Posts: 10,159
Originally Posted by a_fman View Post
Sorry, bad way of wording the question, i meant all using miles on a b-class fare, as in y to j tatl and then y to f within us. But i think would most likely be better on 763 hoping for that ngbc!
But yes, i do mean in terms of availability of C. What do people find has the most availbility in c between london and dfw?

Thanks.
NGBC issue has been dealt w/at length in the thread 567053.
I believe the consensus remains, you may get NGBC, you might not, don't plan your trip around it.

As for C availability. July is high season so its tough a time to find these. A quick check of EF shows no C on the LGW-DFW or LHR-ORD flight in mid July. There's a seat here and there on some of the LHR-JFK flights so that might be your best bet.
bdemaria is offline  
Old Mar 13, 07, 1:55 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Posts: 5,800
The daylight flights ORD-LHR and BOS-LHR may have more C availavility early on ... maybe because they do sell as well full fare..

Just an observation on looking for several recent trips .. YMMV.
JGR01 is offline  
Old Mar 13, 07, 2:16 pm
  #9  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 17,769
Originally Posted by a_fman View Post
So, a quickie...i think....i propose travelling on a b-fare mid july, and wonder which is the best route to dfw for upgrading? I was thinking lhr-ord-dfw all on AA67 with the hope of the F up, all using miles, but is the lgw-dfw AA79 a better option, with its pseudo F, J class......?

Anyone with experience of this route help please! Rather considerable dilemma on which route to purchase!!!

Many Thanks, you may just save a student plt!
How would you expect to get a double upgrade?
BenjaminNYC is offline  
Old Mar 13, 07, 2:20 pm
  #10  
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,831
Your odds of an UG are better via ORD, JFK, or BOS on a 777 flight.

Your "B" fare will not enhance your position on the waitlist. The order of the waitlist is by status and request time.
HNL is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread