Search

Sold Out Flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2007, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Sold Out Flights

I am traveling on flight 1165 on 3/31

The flight is completely sold out according to the website

My family is scattered all over the aircraft, and I was wondering if they ever open up any seats at the airport.

Since I booked this through a travel agent, there are multiple people on the same confirmation code.

If I type in the confirmation code at the airport in the kiosk, will it print out all of the boarding passes or do I get to select who I am wishing to check in.

Thanks

DeltaJFK
Old Mar 12, 2007, 2:19 pm

1165 to and from where? Some of us can look on EF and see what the actual state of the flight is. If you are sub gold, the front 1/2 of the plane is usually held for gold and higher.

D-
Originally Posted by deltajfk
I am traveling on flight 1165 on 3/31

The flight is completely sold out according to the website

My family is scattered all over the aircraft, and I was wondering if they ever open up any seats at the airport.

Since I booked this through a travel agent, there are multiple people on the same confirmation code.

If I type in the confirmation code at the airport in the kiosk, will it print out all of the boarding passes or do I get to select who I am wishing to check in.

Thanks

DeltaJFK
Old Mar 12, 2007, 2:20 pm

(For those people who are running to check right now, AA1165 is the 7:45am flight from JFK to MIA.)

That being said, you probably want to check the seat maps (via aa.com) starting at 100 hours or so before the flight's departure time, as that is when elite upgrades begin clearing into the first class cabin, and keep checking on a regular basis as things get closer. While there are some seats held for airport control, the odds are good that you can minimize the need to rely on that by picking up seats that are together as they come open.

Originally Posted by Goldfishhh
If you are sub gold, the front 1/2 of the plane is usually held for gold and higher.
Stating that the front half of the coach cabin is blocked for elites on AA is a bit hyperbolic, but maybe that's just me.

Mike
Old Mar 12, 2007, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nako
(For those people who are running to check right now, AA1165 is the 7:45am flight from JFK to MIA.)

That being said, you probably want to check the seat maps (via aa.com) starting at 100 hours or so before the flight's departure time, as that is when elite upgrades begin clearing into the first class cabin, and keep checking on a regular basis as things get closer. While there are some seats held for airport control, the odds are good that you can minimize the need to rely on that by picking up seats that are together as they come open.

Mike
Thanks for the quick reply :-)

As I am a Delta flyer, I do not know the procedure for AA's flights.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 2:34 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
FYI - that is a very busy weekend since it is the weekend at the beginning of Easter week with some public and private schools being on Spring Break that week. I wouldn't set your expectations too high with regard to getting your seats changed as EF shows only 1 seat available for sale in economy and 2 in first class. Now with that said, they do hold back the bulkhead row for airport assignment on day of departure, so you might have some luck if you get there early.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 3:21 pm

Busy is an understatement. The flight is completely full except for 2 seats in coach and 2 in F.

So.....

I think the chance of you being able to get everyone together is slim. Also, looking at the seat map on EF, all seats are taken except for 4 scattered all over.

D-

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
FYI - that is a very busy weekend since it is the weekend at the beginning of Easter week with some public and private schools being on Spring Break that week. I wouldn't set your expectations too high with regard to getting your seats changed as EF shows only 1 seat available for sale in economy and 2 in first class. Now with that said, they do hold back the bulkhead row for airport assignment on day of departure, so you might have some luck if you get there early.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by Goldfishhh
Busy is an understatement. The flight is completely full except for 2 seats in coach and 2 in F.

So.....

I think the chance of you being able to get everyone together is slim. Also, looking at the seat map on EF, all seats are taken except for 4 scattered all over.

D-
How big is the family? 3? 7? 11?

Getting to the airport early is key as several seats are under airport control. Also, how old are the youngest? That could eliminate you from exit row seating when it opens up as elites get upgraded.

AFAIK, AA only blocks exit row and bulkhead for elites, (other than the business class seats on a 3 cabin plane when used as a domestic 2 cabin), so theoretically a DL flyer could select row 8 on a MD80 if available...
Old Mar 12, 2007, 5:08 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Deltahater

Getting to the airport early is key as several seats are under airport control. Also, how old are the youngest? That could eliminate you from exit row seating when it opens up as elites get upgraded.

AFAIK, AA only blocks exit row and bulkhead for elites, (other than the business class seats on a 3 cabin plane when used as a domestic 2 cabin), so theoretically a DL flyer could select row 8 on a MD80 if available...
The seats blocked for airport assignment varies by aircraft. and it does include more than just the bulkheads. exit rows are not held for airport assignment, but they are available to non-elits only at the airport.

An MD80 has rows 7,8 plus 5 or 10 other seats toward the back held for airport control.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Deltahater

I have 3 children, I think I am getting to the airport early enough. I arranged for a limo for 5:30. It takes 15 minutes to get to the airport, and the departure time is 7:45 leaving us with 2 hours.

So you are saying that the exit row is held and you can get it at the day of departure? As I am tall, I would greatly appreciate that.

Also I really don't care about the scattering, I would like for my oldest and middle to sit together. My wife and youngest together. I really don't care if I am with them though.

Thanks for all of your help
Old Mar 12, 2007, 6:30 pm

So you are saying that the exit row is held and you can get it at the day of departure? As I am tall, I would greatly appreciate that.
No, that's not quite what was said. Exit rows are not held for elites -- they can claim them at any point -- but anyone (assuming eligibility*) can request them at the airport.

* If your children are under a certain age (I believe it is 13), then you are not eligible for exit row seating, even if none of the children will be sitting there, either.

Mike
Old Mar 12, 2007, 6:30 pm

I have 3 children, I think I am getting to the airport early enough. I arranged for a limo for 5:30. It takes 15 minutes to get to the airport, and the departure time is 7:45 leaving us with 2 hours.

Also I really don't care about the scattering, I would like for my oldest and middle to sit together. My wife and youngest together. I really don't care if I am with them though.

Thanks for all of your help
Your kids won't be able to sit in the exit row if they're under 15 or so.

Airlines try to be flexible in moving people around to group as many together as possible. Even if they can't do it officially, the FAs will often help you to find someone in a seat next to you who will trade.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
No, what Deltahater is saying is that only elites are allowed to pre-reserve the exit row. Sometimes, elites get upgraded into the pointy end of the plane, so those exit row seats become available on the day of the flight. I don't think you will be allowed to sit there, if you are traveling with children under 15 (even if they are not seated in the exit row).

Depending on the age, this often works:

After everyone is seated, go to your youngest, remove the barf bag from the seat pocket, open it, and put it on her lap. Tell her "Hold this here. If you need to use it, put it up to your mouth. Don't do like the last time, remember?" This usually results an an immediate offer to swap seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.