Changing J to U on ORD-FCO-ORD award

Old Mar 12, 07, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
Changing J to U on ORD-FCO-ORD award

Have booked an Anytime award (J) for SEA-ORD-FCO-ORD-FCO in October. No U available but have set expertflyer to notify me if U becomes available.

I assume I need U-availability for both legs (ORD-FCO and FCO-ORD), i.e., no one-way for AwardSaver. Is that correct?
Old Mar 12, 07, 12:52 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Originally Posted by SeAAttle View Post
Have booked an Anytime award (J) for SEA-ORD-FCO-ORD-FCO in October. No U available but have set expertflyer to notify me if U becomes available.

I assume I need U-availability for both legs (ORD-FCO and FCO-ORD), i.e., no one-way for AwardSaver. Is that correct?

Why YES there is a one-way U award.

Its the same miles as a round trip U award but the pax flies one way in Business and one way in coach!

And yes it is kinda of a shame to waste the miles on an award that you cannot use the premium cabin in!

Another thought (since FCO tends to be one of the more difficult upgrade/award locations tho now that it is year round this may change off-season) is to book SEA-ORD-LHR-FCO with LHR-FCO on a OW carrier. And consider Z (SAAver First) for the LHR portion .. Z is sometimes easier to get than U and certainly a lot cheaper than J AAnytime!
Old Mar 12, 07, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat/4MM, AS Gold, Hyatt Globalist
There is, but I believe you would have to pay the redeposit fee and then re issue the award. If U becomes available, put the itinerary on hold and then call AA to cancel your other ticket. That way you reserve the space, though be aware that the AA.com system will automatically cancel the "U" reservation as a duplicate within 24 hours (according to an agent the system runs a sweep every night to check for duplicates).

Search this Thread