Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much time to check in @ JFK

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2007, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Location: Bklyn, NY. ex-UA 1P, ex-US pref, ex-CO plat, ex-DL sil, ex-HH dmnd. Presently Free Agent
How much time to check in @ JFK

I have not flown AA in some time, so I can use some insight. How much time should I allow for checkin and security for a mid week, mid morning flight. I don't have elite status, but will have Mrs Laguardia and the Laguardiettes with me & luggage to check

Thanks
Laguardia Guy
Old Mar 12, 2007, 9:45 am

Programs: AA PLT (Lifetime GLD), Hilton Silver, Marriott Silver, AA Dining VIP
JFK is not too bad in the morning. A 10-minute line would be long, IMHO. Security (especially at T-8), will also be relatively quick
Old Mar 12, 2007, 10:21 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Make sure you check the terminal for departure. T-8 or T-9. T-9 has more security stations and is laid out better. But I agree midmorning should be no problem.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 10:25 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Make sure you check the terminal for departure. T-8 or T-9. T-9 has more security stations and is laid out better. But I agree midmorning should be no problem.
Agreed, Terminal 9 is a godsend comparatively. Even when Terminal 9 is busy it is far better than an even moderately-busy Terminal 8 - with the snaking lines and crowded lobby.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA Life Time Gold, AA Exec Plat, UA Premier Platinum, *A Gold, SPG Gold
JFK Breezy

I'm always floored at how the Security gates at 9 always flows by so fast. Hardly anyone on it. Check In though...that's a different story. Some of those economy lines can be gruesome. Leave plenty of time if you are checking in for luggage. Or use curb side.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 6:43 pm
ejm

Programs: AA Plat, CO Silver
use on line check in -
print boarding passes at home,
curb check bags (pay the fee)
proceed with the mrs and the ettes directly to security -
everyone will thank you for it regardless of what terminal you are using. you will be through in no time with no time for meltdowns (of the ettes, the TSA or your fellow travellers)

Have a great trip!
Old Mar 13, 2007, 8:14 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by ejm
use on line check in -
print boarding passes at home,
curb check bags (pay the fee)
proceed with the mrs and the ettes directly to security -
everyone will thank you for it regardless of what terminal you are using. you will be through in no time with no time for meltdowns (of the ettes, the TSA or your fellow travellers)

Have a great trip!
ejm is right. Upon entering the terminal, I suspect you will be through the TSA check well within the 10 minutes.

That means if you want to cut it very close, I suspect that most of the time that you arrive at the airport with your boarding passes 30 minutes ahead of the departure time, you will make the flight.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 8:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Life_Platinum

That means if you want to cut it very close, I suspect that most of the time that you arrive at the airport with your boarding passes 30 minutes ahead of the departure time, you will make the flight.
That see,s really dangerus. I think if you come to the airport that close tothe time of the flight, theirs a good chance of missing the flight. Do you think thats a good idea?
Old Mar 13, 2007, 8:40 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SJCCA
That see,s really dangerus. I think if you come to the airport that close tothe time of the flight, theirs a good chance of missing the flight. Do you think thats a good idea?
Good advice.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 7:36 am

Checking Baggage

Also, you need to keep in mind that JFK has an earlier cut-off time for checked baggage than many other airports....and it is determined by when you check-in, not when you get on line to check-in
Old Mar 21, 2007, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Location: Bklyn, NY. ex-UA 1P, ex-US pref, ex-CO plat, ex-DL sil, ex-HH dmnd. Presently Free Agent
Thanks for the good advice all.

T-9 is absolutely terriffic. It took no more than 20 minutes to check bags and go through security. T-4 at LAX was the same story.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
You got lucky. On Monday, I was at JFK at mid-morning checking in, and TSA Security was a disaster! Only TWO lanes open (out of about 6) for hundreds of pax! Y line was over 100 pax deep, while the F line was about a dozen. Still took only 15 minutes or so, but I'm used to zipping right through with no wait (except at MIA, but that's another story). AA supervisors were going ape, and the TSA guys couldn't care less--it was as though they were being intentionally lazy! Lots of TSA guys standing around, with only a few actually doing screening...

However--dare I say it--baggage delivery time seems to be getting a little better. ^
Old Mar 22, 2007, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by ESpen36
However--dare I say it--baggage delivery time seems to be getting a little better. ^
Where that that were true. The other day, we flew in from London. No other flights, so there should have been no problems. Waited forever for bags.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 9:13 pm

I know you can do this in less than thirty minutes from the time you hit the curb at the terminal to when you are checked in at the gate to board. JFK is very efficient and I give AA and the TSA high marks on passenger service at this airport. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.