How much time to check in @ JFK

 
Old Mar 12, 07, 10:10 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Bklyn, NY. ex-UA 1P, ex-US pref, ex-CO plat, ex-DL sil, ex-HH dmnd. Presently Free Agent
Posts: 379
How much time to check in @ JFK

I have not flown AA in some time, so I can use some insight. How much time should I allow for checkin and security for a mid week, mid morning flight. I don't have elite status, but will have Mrs Laguardia and the Laguardiettes with me & luggage to check

Thanks
Laguardia Guy
laguardiaguy is offline  
Old Mar 12, 07, 10:45 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York
Programs: AA PLT (Lifetime GLD), Hilton Silver, Marriott Silver, AA Dining VIP
Posts: 596
JFK is not too bad in the morning. A 10-minute line would be long, IMHO. Security (especially at T-8), will also be relatively quick
AA-Platinum is offline  
Old Mar 12, 07, 11:21 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: JFK/LGA
Programs: AA PLT/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH Diamond
Posts: 5,002
Make sure you check the terminal for departure. T-8 or T-9. T-9 has more security stations and is laid out better. But I agree midmorning should be no problem.
pauleeepaul is offline  
Old Mar 12, 07, 11:25 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: SFO/MSY
Programs: AA Plat/4MM, AS Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 3,362
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul View Post
Make sure you check the terminal for departure. T-8 or T-9. T-9 has more security stations and is laid out better. But I agree midmorning should be no problem.
Agreed, Terminal 9 is a godsend comparatively. Even when Terminal 9 is busy it is far better than an even moderately-busy Terminal 8 - with the snaking lines and crowded lobby.
olimaspecto is offline  
Old Mar 12, 07, 5:18 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Amsterdam
Programs: AA Life Time Gold, AA Exec Plat, UA Premier Platinum, *A Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 154
JFK Breezy

I'm always floored at how the Security gates at 9 always flows by so fast. Hardly anyone on it. Check In though...that's a different story. Some of those economy lines can be gruesome. Leave plenty of time if you are checking in for luggage. Or use curb side.
agentangel is offline  
Old Mar 12, 07, 7:43 pm
  #6  
ejm
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Programs: AA Plat, CO Silver
Posts: 138
use on line check in -
print boarding passes at home,
curb check bags (pay the fee)
proceed with the mrs and the ettes directly to security -
everyone will thank you for it regardless of what terminal you are using. you will be through in no time with no time for meltdowns (of the ettes, the TSA or your fellow travellers)

Have a great trip!
ejm is offline  
Old Mar 13, 07, 9:14 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 1,597
Talking

Originally Posted by ejm View Post
use on line check in -
print boarding passes at home,
curb check bags (pay the fee)
proceed with the mrs and the ettes directly to security -
everyone will thank you for it regardless of what terminal you are using. you will be through in no time with no time for meltdowns (of the ettes, the TSA or your fellow travellers)

Have a great trip!
ejm is right. Upon entering the terminal, I suspect you will be through the TSA check well within the 10 minutes.

That means if you want to cut it very close, I suspect that most of the time that you arrive at the airport with your boarding passes 30 minutes ahead of the departure time, you will make the flight.
Life_Platinum is offline  
Old Mar 13, 07, 9:17 pm
  #8  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Programs: AA
Posts: 16
Originally Posted by Life_Platinum View Post

That means if you want to cut it very close, I suspect that most of the time that you arrive at the airport with your boarding passes 30 minutes ahead of the departure time, you will make the flight.
That see,s really dangerus. I think if you come to the airport that close tothe time of the flight, theirs a good chance of missing the flight. Do you think thats a good idea?
SJCCA is offline  
Old Mar 13, 07, 9:40 pm
  #9  
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,831
Originally Posted by SJCCA View Post
That see,s really dangerus. I think if you come to the airport that close tothe time of the flight, theirs a good chance of missing the flight. Do you think thats a good idea?
Good advice.
HNL is offline  
Old Mar 14, 07, 8:36 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York
Programs: AA PLT (Lifetime GLD), Hilton Silver, Marriott Silver, AA Dining VIP
Posts: 596
Checking Baggage

Also, you need to keep in mind that JFK has an earlier cut-off time for checked baggage than many other airports....and it is determined by when you check-in, not when you get on line to check-in
AA-Platinum is offline  
Old Mar 21, 07, 10:51 am
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Bklyn, NY. ex-UA 1P, ex-US pref, ex-CO plat, ex-DL sil, ex-HH dmnd. Presently Free Agent
Posts: 379
Thanks for the good advice all.

T-9 is absolutely terriffic. It took no more than 20 minutes to check bags and go through security. T-4 at LAX was the same story.
laguardiaguy is offline  
Old Mar 21, 07, 7:14 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: NYC, USA
Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, SPG Gold, MR Gold, HH Gold
Posts: 10,439
You got lucky. On Monday, I was at JFK at mid-morning checking in, and TSA Security was a disaster! Only TWO lanes open (out of about 6) for hundreds of pax! Y line was over 100 pax deep, while the F line was about a dozen. Still took only 15 minutes or so, but I'm used to zipping right through with no wait (except at MIA, but that's another story). AA supervisors were going ape, and the TSA guys couldn't care less--it was as though they were being intentionally lazy! Lots of TSA guys standing around, with only a few actually doing screening...

However--dare I say it--baggage delivery time seems to be getting a little better.
ESpen36 is offline  
Old Mar 22, 07, 8:11 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York
Programs: AA PLT (Lifetime GLD), Hilton Silver, Marriott Silver, AA Dining VIP
Posts: 596
Originally Posted by ESpen36 View Post
However--dare I say it--baggage delivery time seems to be getting a little better.
Where that that were true. The other day, we flew in from London. No other flights, so there should have been no problems. Waited forever for bags.
AA-Platinum is offline  
Old Mar 22, 07, 10:13 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 1,597
I know you can do this in less than thirty minutes from the time you hit the curb at the terminal to when you are checked in at the gate to board. JFK is very efficient and I give AA and the TSA high marks on passenger service at this airport.
Life_Platinum is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread