LAX to JFK - RT Upgrade Chances

Old Feb 24, 07, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP+2MM & WN CP
LAX to JFK - RT Upgrade Chances

Hi All,

I'm holding discount Y seats from San Diego via LAX to JFK in April (I know I can fly nonstop from SAN but I prefer the 767s out of LAX despite having to deal with the AE lawnmowers - no insult to any fans of those planes).

My question: As an EXP, do I have a good chance for the 100 hours upgrades on these flights? I realize that's it's a bit open ended question but I'm just seeking advice from those who fly this route. I almost never fly to JFK and when I do it's usually on to Europe which means that I either use the eVIPs or mile upgrades.

I was very impressed with previous advice on a trip to CDG!

Thanks,

Jay
Old Feb 24, 07, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat/4MM, AS Gold, Hyatt Globalist
You may get an upgrade (depending on specific flight during the day and day of the week) with odds between 50% and 90%. I generally get upgraded on these flights during both peak and non-peak travel times. That said, you will almost certainly not clear at the 100 hour mark - think more like 24 hours or less.
Old Feb 24, 07, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Thumbs up

If your upgrade doesn't clear and you check in 24 hours prior to your SAN flight, you will have higher priority since you will be a "through" passenger. Make sure you request to be on the airport upgrade list at SAN and they note you are a through passenger (UPG1T). I did a JFK-LAX trip over President's day weekend. The JFK check in agent on 2/17 said I had a slim chance due to the 2/14 cancellations but by the time I got to the gate, I and another Plat got upgraded. My return cleared 30 hours out with one seat still open in J.
Old Feb 24, 07, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Is it because they are a "through" passenger or is it because 24 hours before the first leg is earlier than 24 hours than the LAX-JFK leg? I assume the latter.
Old Feb 24, 07, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
I agree with the others. Although this is one of the hardest routes on which to score an upgrade, as an EXP who has requested an upgrade two months in advance, your odds should be pretty good. As the others have said, however, don't expect the upgrade to clear 100 hours out, make sure to check in on line 24 hours in advance of your SAN-LAX flight on the outbound and your JFK-LAX flight on the return, and make sure you get put on the airport upgrade list if you haven't cleared in advance.
Old Feb 24, 07, 11:42 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by RxCapt View Post
If your upgrade doesn't clear and you check in 24 hours prior to your SAN flight, you will have higher priority since you will be a "through" passenger. Make sure you request to be on the airport upgrade list at SAN and they note you are a through passenger (UPG1T).
Normally I agree with this advice. However, the itin will originate at the SAN commuter terminal. I find the AAgents there to be grossly incompetent. Perhaps it's a matter of insufficient training. I would not trust them to handle my upgrade properly.

Do OLCI at the 24-hour mark. Ask the Eagle AAgents to put you on the airport upgrade list. Once you get to LAX, ask an AAgent there (preferably at the Admirals Club) to make double-dawg sure you are properly listed. Otherwise, you could be aced out of the upgrade by someone else who happened to get a more skilled AAgent at initial airport checkin.
Old Feb 25, 07, 12:08 am

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Originally Posted by beachfan View Post
Is it because they are a "through" passenger or is it because 24 hours before the first leg is earlier than 24 hours than the LAX-JFK leg? I assume the latter.
A through pax would have higher priority within the same status than an originating LAX pax, even if the LAX pax checks in exactly 24 hours prior.
Old Feb 25, 07, 6:22 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Remember the Upgrade from Y on LAX-JFK 767-200's is into Business Class only, personally I would prefer the non-stop Transncon First Class from SAN on a 757. I prefer not to be a second class citizen on any flight.
Old Feb 25, 07, 7:01 am

Programs: AA PLT/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UncleDude View Post
Remember the Upgrade from Y on LAX-JFK 767-200's is into Business Class only, personally I would prefer the non-stop Transncon First Class from SAN on a 757. I prefer not to be a second class citizen on any flight.
I agree the NS is preferable in this specific case, but in IMHO the J cabin in a 762 is far superior to F in 757- service, seat, food, ambiance, etc etc.
Old Feb 25, 07, 7:24 am

The 757 has a 39" seat pitch while the 762 has a 49" seat pitch. I'd go through LAX on this route for the better seat.
Old Feb 25, 07, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like for you it's all about status (which, to be honest, I don't really get; are you embarrassed that nine people might be getting better service than you?). However, for those of us looking for the most comfortable ride, there's no comparison.
Old Feb 25, 07, 9:47 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by Blumie View Post
Sounds like for you it's all about status (which, to be honest, I don't really get; are you embarrassed that nine people might be getting better service than you?). However, for those of us looking for the most comfortable ride, there's no comparison.

Whats comfortable about flying in converted sewing maching SAN-LAX just for the opportunity at around 25% chance, for an upgrade - LAX-JFK against a direct flight with a 90% chance of an upgrade... Just for a few more inches on a Day flights with the possibility of a delay into LAX followed by a missed connection and then a downgrade to a flight in Coach.

But then we are have our preferences..

Upgrade chance stats taken from past postings on this site.
Old Feb 25, 07, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whats comfortable about flying in converted sewing maching SAN-LAX just for the opportunity at around 25% chance, for an upgrade - LAX-JFK against a direct flight with a 90% chance of an upgrade... Just for a few more inches on a Day flights with the possibility of a delay into LAX followed by a missed connection and then a downgrade to a flight in Coach.

But then we are have our preferences..

Upgrade chance stats taken from past postings on this site.
I certainly can understand the logic of prefering the non-stop over the LAX connection (although I would do the connection, and for EXPs your upgrade stats are way off). But I was addressing your preference "not to be a second class citizen on any flight." Taken to its logical extreme, that should mean you'd prefer an RJ over J class on a 3-class plane.
Old Feb 25, 07, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP+2MM & WN CP
Thumbs up

Hi All,

Maybe I'm still a kid at heart but I like boarding a large plane over a medium one! I really want to thank you for your advice so I've booked the JFK via LAX flight! I just wish the Exit row was available as a decent back-up but I'll take my chances!!!
Old Feb 25, 07, 9:25 pm

Programs: The usual for over 7 Million paid miles flown to date... My first paid flight was on a DC3.
As you probably know, weekend flights are easiest to get upgraded on!

Search this Thread