FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   What happens to the fleet? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/663991-what-happens-fleet.html)

Pfaelzer Feb 23, 2007 5:08 pm

What happens to the fleet?

I was booked on a total of 8 AA flights so far this year:

LHR-ORD 777: no problem
ORD-MEX 757: canceled due to mechanics, switched to MX
MEX-MIA 737: no problem
MIA-EZE 777: no problem
EZE-MIA 777: no problem
MIA-MEX 737: no problem
MEX-MIA 757: canceled due to mechanics, switched to MX
MIA-MGA AB6: slightly delayed due to maintainance issues

Check-in agent in MEX said "si hemos tenido una mala racha ultimamente"

Seems to me that the 757/AB6 are getting obsolete... Not even to mention the MDs

svenskaflicka Feb 23, 2007 5:25 pm

I have two questions:

1. So how do you get to these points from Germany

2. Would you kindly translate the Spanish for me. Thanks

Pfaelzer Feb 23, 2007 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by svenskaflicka (Post 7282383)
I have two questions:

Thanks

Do you mean technically? I also fly other carriers:

BA FRA-LHR AA LHR-ORD-MEX
AA MEX-MIA-EZE
4M EZE-GRU LH GRU-FRA
LH FRA-PEK OM PEK-ULN
OM ULN-PEK LH PEK-MUC-FRA
BA FRA-LHR-GRU PZ GRU-ASU
PZ ASU-EZE AA EZE-MIA-MEX
AA MEX-MIA-MGA

Funny thing is that besides my mechanicals with AA I have had bad luck with BA (cancellation due to mechanicals) and LH (lost my luggage 12 days ago, so there is almost no hope that it shows up again), and this only being 7 weeks into the year. Seems that you should avoid travelling with me this year.

We have a bad run.

gemac Feb 23, 2007 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by mmsteidl (Post 7282605)
We have a bad run.

A common problem on those Mexican trips. :D

ricktoronto Feb 23, 2007 7:53 pm

I have two questions:

2. Literally it would be yes, we have had really bad winds lately. Idiomaltically racha which means gusty winds is used to say a run of bad luck.

rploehn Feb 23, 2007 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by mmsteidl (Post 7282605)
We have a bad run.

Originally Posted by gemac (Post 7282639)
A common problem on those Mexican trips. :D

Originally Posted by ricktoronto (Post 7283192)
2. Literally it would be yes, we have had really bad winds lately.

An equally common problem.

:eek:

snorkmaster Feb 23, 2007 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by mmsteidl (Post 7282305)
Seems to me that the 757/AB6 are getting obsolete... Not even to mention the MDs

Are you really drawing conclusions about AA's fleet of 175+ 757s/A300s based on three flights? I assume you've read this?

cingmot Feb 24, 2007 12:56 am

You know, there was another AA flight that had to make an emergency landing at BNA last fall because of "bad winds"... someone lit a match to cover them up...

Pfaelzer Feb 24, 2007 11:04 am

Originally Posted by snorkmaster (Post 7284140)
Are you really drawing conclusions about AA's fleet of 175+ 757s/A300s based on three flights? I assume you've read this?

As an economist and expert in statistics, I am quite aware that my sample is very small in order to draw any statiscally significant conclusions.

However, I want to point out that my posting on this forum was a way to widen my information. If anyone, for example, had the same impression.

By the way, I am sitting around in Managua waiting for the AB6 which is already overdue on its incoming leg. Not sure if it is again a maintainance question, so I would rather not venture a guess so that nobody would complain on my statistics skills.

However, on an emotional and non-scientific basis it is striking that out of 9 flights now in a short period, 2 are canceled and 1 (2?) delayed due to mechanical problems. You must admit that these things add up to be annoying.

Btw, I am not concerned on my safety, I think that the incidents show that AA will not fly when they have any doubts on the security of a particular plane.

Pfaelzer Feb 24, 2007 11:05 am

Originally Posted by cingmot (Post 7284406)
You know, there was another AA flight that had to make an emergency landing at BNA last fall because of "bad winds"... someone lit a match to cover them up...

:) I guess that was a really expensive wind...

AMR747 Feb 24, 2007 11:16 am

[QUOTE=svenskaflicka;7282383]I have two questions:

AA83 / B767 / FRAORD
AA71 / B777 / FRADFW

LarryJ Feb 24, 2007 11:18 am

Why don't you just look at the cancellation statistics on the DOT site?

JonNYC Feb 24, 2007 11:22 am

Originally Posted by LarryJ (Post 7286175)
Why don't you just look at the cancellation statistics on the DOT site?

Facts???

Stop being silly.

777-100SP Feb 24, 2007 11:22 am

Check-in agent in MEX said "si hemos tenido una mala racha ultimamente"

Does that translate as:

If you don't have it (elite stAAtus), ultimately you are ugly (have bad skin rash)
Si hemos tenido..............................una mala racha ultimamente

martin33 Feb 24, 2007 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by mmsteidl (Post 7286076)
However, on an emotional and non-scientific basis it is striking that out of 9 flights now in a short period, 2 are canceled and 1 (2?) delayed due to mechanical problems. You must admit that these things add up to be annoying.

Btw, I am not concerned on my safety, I think that the incidents show that AA will not fly when they have any doubts on the security of a particular plane.

it's injudiciously employed words like obsolete that biased your respondents towards the wary and suspicious.

fwiw, the A300's do, it was once reported here, have statistically lower dispatch reliability. 757's and MD80's, no. Even for the AB6's, it could be that's always been the case, even when those planes were relatively new.