Wiki Posts
Search

Flyastrojets' Final Flights as Platinum

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2007, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
Unhappy Flyastrojets' Final Flights as Platinum

While I'm sure this is useless info to most, given that this forum is the reason I made Platinum in the first place, and was able to keep it for nearly 3 years, I just felt like sharing.

Most of my employer's business is on United for now, so I've had to move over there. While United's inflight services are fine, and I've found a lot of things to like (E+)...they aren't AA...especially if you have to call them on the phone!

In any event, I had to make a quick trip to LIT this week, and AA worked out nicely. My upgrade cleared at about the 36 hour mark for my 11AM flight to DFW from DCA. Score 1! Lady Astrojets dropped me at the airport early so I had some time to kill, which was spent with the wonderful DCA Admirals Club AAngels. I needed my return rebooked which was handled pleasantly by the AAngel at the desk in all of about 2 minutes complete with an upgrade for the return which cleared on the spot. Score 2!

The inflight service, complete with pre-departure beverage of your choice followed by a separate juice and water tray for late boarders, by the #1 F/A on the way to DFW could not have been better. (Letter already dispatched!) I was able to sample the beef enchilada for the first time, and was pleased with both the taste and the portion size. We landed early, which gave me time to visit the Admirals Club where I was able to get some emails out of the way. Even the sometimes dreaded Eagle flight to LIT went fine...with an on-time departure and a pleasant enough inflight crew.

The return was slightly more adventurous. With business finished early, I made it to the airport some 4 hours before my scheduled departure. There was a sea of people at the ticket counter, none of which were using the kiosks, so I checked in for my flight and proceeded through security hoping to catch an earlier trip. Of course, I got the pat answer that all the flights were oversold and they weren't adding anyone else to the standby list. So I just camped out at Starbucks, got a little work done, and waited. My tiny bit of frustration with the agent's refusal to add me to the standby list aside, I was impressed with this one agent's handling of the plethora of passengers. ORD was going down the tubes, and passengers were getting antsy. In any event, my turn finally came, and we boarded our flight and blasted off about 10 minutes late. A minor miracle in all the chaos at gate 3 in LIT!!!

I paid a quick visit to the C19 Admirals Club in DFW which was very convenient to my departure gate, knocked back a glass of cab, checked some more emails and proceeded to the gate. We were boarding within 5 minutes, and I found myself with an empty first class seat beside me. You would've thought I'd won the lottery! We pushed back right on time and took off for DCA. The # 1 F/A was equipped with a thick New York accent, and at first blush, appeared a little brusque. But turns out she was as friendly and attentive as she could be, even if a bit loud for an 8:45PM departure to the east coast! The roast beef sandwich wasn't too terrible by airline food standards, and my wine glass was never empty. I really like the fact that the chocolate chip cookies have made a reappearance too! A twisting, turning, bumpy approach and landing in the 40 knot winds capped off the flight, but hey...we were 15 minutes early!

All in all, I'm bringing my Platinum era to a close on a high note. And hoping that I can come back soon. Right now, I'm making the best of things with United, and am well on the way to equivalent elite status with them in the next month or two which will certainly beat my current Premier status.

Many thanks to everyone on this board for all the advice. Coming in as an ex-AA'er, I was surprised at how much I didn't know about AAdvantage, but not surprised at all about how much I've learned from all of you. This almost sounds like I'm leaving the boards or something, which I assure you isn't happening, but I did feel like sharing my last experience as Platinum with all of you!
Old Feb 23, 2007, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good luck with UAL.

Don't be a stranger; you bring much more valuable insight here than most of us.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Good luck with UAL.

Oh..I'll be right here. I'm even thinking about getting an AA MasterCard just to keep a few spare miles in my account for emergency upgrades for the handful of AA flights I'm sure I'll have to take at some point.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyastrojets
Oh..I'll be right here. I'm even thinking about getting an AA MasterCard just to keep a few spare miles in my account for emergency upgrades for the handful of AA flights I'm sure I'll have to take at some point.
If you continue to have the occasional AA flight, I think you will find that the flying experience isn't a big step down from Platinum to Gold - the biggest advantages to Plat are the 100% bonus miles and the lounge access on international flights, IMHO.

I would echo the comments by FWAAA.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 11:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FWAAA
^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.