FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   There’s a reason O’Hare’s Zip Code ends in 666 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/663554-there-s-reason-o-hare-s-zip-code-ends-666-a.html)

kh105000 Feb 22, 2007 3:18 pm

There’s a reason O’Hare’s Zip Code ends in 666

After managing to only complete one full roundtrip out of six through ORD last year without either missing flights due to ground delays or having legs cancelled, I resolved to avoid connecting planes through AA Chicago on days ending in “y”. However, as with other resolutions, I broke this one yesterday and thus wound up sitting on the tarmac 20 feet away from my G gate, the flight already being 45 minutes late, faced with the prospect of a quarter mile run to catch my L gate connection leaving in 15 minutes.

My question is this: If the air passenger bill of rights actually passes could merely connecting through 0’Hare be deemed a de facto breach?

brp Feb 22, 2007 3:36 pm

I think you're too hard on ORD with this whole "days ending in 'y'" thing. I will use ORD, and only avoid it on weekdays and weekends...all others are fine.

Cheers.

Petdog Feb 22, 2007 4:03 pm

These days, merely flying could be considered a breach.

I guess that's why flying is cheap?

andrzej Feb 22, 2007 4:14 pm

I never had a problem with ORD and I don't want my government to get involved. YMMV! :D

IceTrojan Feb 22, 2007 4:15 pm

Another reason to be EXP.... Ron!

masonp123 Feb 22, 2007 5:39 pm

Just out of curiousity I looked up latest on-time stats (12 months through Dec 2006) from here:

http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/reports/atcr07.htm

Here's the numbers:
No. of Arr % Arr ontime % Dep on time
ATL Arrivals: 32,795 Arr on time %: 77.8 Depart on time %: 73.7
ORD Arrivals: 31,399 Arr on time %: 55.9 Depart on time %: 58.6
DFW Arrivals: 25,464 Arr on time %: 70.9 Depart on time %: 67.9
DEN Arrivals: 19,599 Arr on time %: 64.6 Depart on time %: 65.1

Yikes.

miamigrad Feb 22, 2007 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by masonp123 (Post 7275734)
Just out of curiousity I looked up latest on-time stats (12 months through Dec 2006) from here:

http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/reports/atcr07.htm

Here's the numbers:
No. of Arr % Arr ontime % Dep on time
ATL Arrivals: 32,795 Arr on time %: 77.8 Depart on time %: 73.7
ORD Arrivals: 31,399 Arr on time %: 55.9 Depart on time %: 58.6
DFW Arrivals: 25,464 Arr on time %: 70.9 Depart on time %: 67.9
DEN Arrivals: 19,599 Arr on time %: 64.6 Depart on time %: 65.1

Yikes.

Yup, that sounds about right for ORD. Oh, the joy of using O'Hare! Wish I had a better option...

steve32 Feb 22, 2007 6:04 pm

Actually, I did the entire FLY06 trio of flights in a 26 hour period. Yes, there were a few delays, but it was still done.

Maybe it's my Aura of Purity that protected me. :rolleyes:

Steve

CPMaverick Feb 22, 2007 6:39 pm

I hate ORD and do my best to avoid it, as well.

When I do have to fly ORD, I have good luck scheduling a long layover, and when I don't get in late, standing by on an earlier flight.

This has helped keep me sane my last few trips through. It's not uncommon to get on a flight that was scheduled to leave well before I was supposed to arrive (especially when UX/Mesa is concerned!)

sundrop Feb 22, 2007 6:49 pm

Knock on wood but I havent had trouble in ORD. Rentals and traffic there on the other hand? :td:

Then you get those Asshats at the Indiana and Chicago tollbooths that get all pissy when you ask for a reciept.

san2yul Feb 22, 2007 7:06 pm

I flew 115 segments last year and not 1 thru ORD... I love the Rush Street night life and have a few friends from Chicago area but that airport is a game of chance. Also I prefer DFW any day (D terminal has so many nice places to eat and the train systems works great instead of the jogging paths at ORD). just my 2 cents!!!

alect Feb 22, 2007 8:35 pm

Partly by luck and party by design I have managed to avoid ORD - ever. I wonder how many EXPs have never been through/to ORD?

bluedevil23 Feb 22, 2007 9:15 pm

As an STL based plat, I probably spend more time in ORD than I do in STL. I have been rather lucky as I can only recall a few times that I have had anything more than a minor delay connecting through. However, after reading this thread I checked the status of the flight I was supposed to be on today (ORF-ORD-STL which I avoided when I finished early and caught a direct flight). The oubound from ORF left an hour after the scheduled departure and the connection in ORD was 2 hours late. I'd still be in the air right now if I had stuck to the original flights :).