No Comp Status on AA anymore?

Old Feb 22, 07, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS
Question No Comp Status on AA anymore?

I have decided to give AA a try after hearing many good things about AA's international services in premium cabins. I have booked full fare business class ticket between NRT and Washington DC.

I am 1K and life-time million-mile flyer on United, and would like to get comp to AAdvantage Platinum status before the flight to start receiving benefits immediately. Thanks to many excellent posts in the AA forum and helpful ideas, I called AAdvantage to ask for comp status, and was told AA does not offer comp status to elite flyers from other airlines anymore. I was told to do the "challenge" to just get to Gold status only.

I understand the senstivity of trying to get comp status while most of the AA elites earned their status the hard way by flying. I am jus trying to get the accuate information here.
Old Feb 22, 07, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA-plt
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer View Post
I have decided to give AA a try after hearing many good things about AA's international services in premium cabins. I have booked full fare business class ticket between NRT and Washington DC.

I am 1K and life-time million-mile flyer on United, and would like to get comp to AAdvantage Platinum status before the flight to start receiving benefits immediately. Thanks to many excellent posts in the AA forum and helpful ideas, I called AAdvantage to ask for comp status, and was told AA does not offer comp status to elite flyers from other airlines anymore. I was told to do the "challenge" to just get to Gold status only.

I understand the senstivity of trying to get comp status while most of the AA elites earned their status the hard way by flying. I am jus trying to get the accuate information here.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ght=elite+comp
Old Feb 22, 07, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
I called AAdvantage to ask for comp status, and was told AA does not offer comp status to elite flyers from other airlines anymore. I was told to do the "challenge" to just get to Gold status only.

Status comps on AA, while not unheard of, are actually quite rare. Instead AA offers the challenges to quickly obtain status. The agent you spoke with was incorrect to tell you that you can only challenge GLD status, because AA also offers a Platinum challenge. All it takes is a call or email to AAdvantage customer service to get signed up. Program details are available in the AA wiki and also in the stickies for this forum.

Good luck and welcome to the AA forum.
Old Feb 22, 07, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to AA; a proud Flyertalker once called it the best airline in the world. Something about bosoms and ice cream sundaes. If you're interested, do a search.

The good news is this: You can qualify for Plat with the Plat challenge on your very first flight if you plan your trip properly. So you'll get the 100% plat bonus for it. Woohoo!!

How? Call AAdvantage customer service again and tell them you'd like to sign up for the Plat Challenge. Explain that you've booked a full fare business class ticket from Tokyo to DC and that you're switching from UA. If they give you a hard time, hang up and call again.

NRT-JFK is 6745 miles which earns you more than the necessary 10k q-points on your full fare business class fare. So it gets you the Plat status and bonus miles. Tack on a JFK-IAD/DCA segment on American Eagle and you're there. Good luck and have fun.

Edit to add: Might as well ask for a challenge to EXP while you're at it: some claim it's possible, especially for a 1k. Or pony up $20k in advance (on a declining balance card) and you're an instant EXP. Just like the UAL program from last year.
Old Feb 22, 07, 3:33 pm

Yes, there is no empirical evidence of comps AAnymore. If it is any consolation being PLT will not get you much beyound what having a Intl J ticket gets you in terms of perks, lounge access, drink chits, premium checkin, and secuity.
Old Feb 22, 07, 4:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by DataPlumber View Post
Yes, there is no empirical evidence of comps AAnymore. If it is any consolation being PLT will not get you much beyound what having a Intl J ticket gets you in terms of perks, lounge access, drink chits, premium checkin, and secuity.
More likely op-ups to F on those full-fare J tickets, wouldn't you say? Also, a lot of bonus miles for someone who might want to upgrade to F.
Old Feb 22, 07, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat 2MM
Check with your employer. I work for a very large computer company and we do get status matched on AA up to Plat.
Old Feb 22, 07, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Thanks to many excellent posts in the AA forum and helpful ideas, I called AAdvantage to ask for comp status, and was told AA does not offer comp status to elite flyers from other airlines anymore.
I'm not sure what posts here led you to do this. It has been repeatedly stated here that AA does not comp status in virtually all cases.

You might want to spend some time reading the "Unofficial User's Guide" sticky. Among the many useful threads there is one on challenges, with the notation "American generally does not match status; rather, it offers a "challenge" shortcut for Gold and Platinum status".
Old Feb 22, 07, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, SPG/Marriott Bonvoy Gold
They didn't offer comping the last time it was posted here which was also this week. Any good frequent flyer will meet the challenge requirements soon enough.
Old Feb 22, 07, 11:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier
Originally Posted by rmc1 View Post
Check with your employer. I work for a very large computer company and we do get status matched on AA up to Plat.
Same with my employer. I used our travel desk to get status matched to Gold 14 months ago. Our desk is continuing to advertise this benefit.

To the OP - if you have a travel desk, talk to them. As well, we have a wiki article on AA elite levels and the shortcuts that are available to get status:

http://flyertalk.com/wiki/index.php/...evels_%28AA%29

If you are buying expensive international tickets, the prepaid plan with immediate status might be interesting.
Old Feb 23, 07, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus

Well, sign up for the PLT challenge and you will make it on this trip alone.
PLT status after one trip isn't a bad thing.
Old Feb 23, 07, 2:59 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
Well, sign up for the PLT challenge and you will make it on this trip alone.
PLT status after one trip isn't a bad thing.

Cheers.
Old Feb 23, 07, 4:17 am

Location: Palo Alto. Previously, below the approaches to Rwy 19 @ DCA or 28 @ ORD
Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, AA EXP
When signing up for the PLT challenge in mid-January of this year, I asked for and received a comp, albeit a rather measley 1K --> GLD. Still, it makes completing the PLT challenge much more tolerable.

I made it quite clear that without the comp, I would not give AA any business.
Old Feb 23, 07, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS
Thanks for the info, welcome and pointing to elevant threads in this Forum.

I must have misunderstood from reading one of the threads

American

American will consistently match United status to equivalent level up to mid-tier (Platinum). They are quirkier about matching status from other carriers. Sometimes they'll offer Gold status. Sometimes they'll just ask you to complete a challenge (miles flown in 90 days). Sometimes they'll offer Gold status and a challenge for Platinum.

For the best consolidated discussion of challenges, see this summary by FewMiles.
It will be nice to try AA premium services after almost exclusively on UA for over 15 years. I am really looking forward to it.

Thanks again!
Old Feb 23, 07, 7:08 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Thanks for the info, welcome and pointing to elevant threads in this Forum.

I must have misunderstood from reading one of the threads

It will be nice to try AA premium services after almost exclusively on UA for over 15 years. I am really looking forward to it.

Thanks again!
Can you provide a link to the information you read so that we can try and fix it there?

Welcome to AA

Cheers.

Search this Thread