Should I check in online or not

Old Feb 21, 07, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, US, HYATT, SW
Should I check in online or not

Am on a flight tomorrow from ORD to LAS and coach is oversold. I have 9E so my seat is fine, but F has quite a few seats left. Since there may be a chance of getting bumped up front, what is the opinion or whether or not checking in the day before helps or hinders getting bumped. If you are already checked in are they less likely to bump you ahead of time, versus getting bumped up at the gate. i.e. those nice and rare occurances when you check in at the airport and see you are not in 12C but rather 3A.

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 21, 07, 10:42 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Domestic bumps to F are uncommon. How do you know how many seats are available in F? Are you requesting an upgrade? If so, you will want to check in as early as possible, i.e. 24 hours prior.

Cheers.
Old Feb 21, 07, 10:46 am

Actually, pre-9/11, I used to be bumped up to F about a half dozen times a year from my home airport, sometimes even with a companion. Now, I agree: never happens!
Old Feb 21, 07, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, US, HYATT, SW
Agree its rare

Agree its rare to get bumped up, but I have had it happen in the last few years a few times (2 or 3 I think), especially to tourist heavy destinations like LAS. Had a coach seat, and when I checked in was bumped up. I was not going to use upgrades as with Seat 9E I have all the leg room I need, and even though I'm going to LAS, its an early flight, so I may lay off the booze!

First class seat availability was based on seat map on aa.com which I realize can be inaccurate.

Question is really around, IF it where to happen, would the people at the airport looking to free up space and bump someone up, look at my reservation and say "he's already checked in, lets not move that guy at it complicates things when he gets to the gate."

Not a big deal, as I'm not desperate for the upgrade, just more of a curiousity question.
Old Feb 21, 07, 11:25 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by everton_flyer View Post
Since there may be a chance of getting bumped up front, what is the opinion or whether or not checking in the day before helps or hinders getting bumped. If you are already checked in are they less likely to bump you ahead of time, versus getting bumped up at the gate. i.e. those nice and rare occurances when you check in at the airport and see you are not in 12C but rather 3A.
When the op-up someone, I don't believe they care whether you're checked in. So there's nothing to gain from waiting to check in at the airport.

Search this Thread