Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary Upgrades for AAdvantage Platinum

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2007, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Gold
Question Complimentary Upgrades for AAdvantage Platinum

I am a bit confused by the Upgrade policy for AA for Platinums. I am currently a USAIR Platinum, and my company/US have terminated their agreement. AA has said they will comp existing FF guys to either AAdvantage Gold or AAdvantage Platinum.
On US, we received Complimentary Upgrades based upon level, fare class, etc. In the last year, I have been upgraded on everything except maybe 10 segments .

How does it work for AA? My company normally books the excursion fares; do we have to do the coupon/sticker drill? Do elites have to purchase upgrades, as I won't be coming over with my accrued miles ?
Old Feb 19, 2007, 11:57 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
you earn 4 500 miles upgrade stickers for every 10,000 miles you fly...
Old Feb 19, 2007, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by SAM_KNAPP
I am a bit confused by the Upgrade policy for AA for Platinums. I am currently a USAIR Platinum, and my company/US have terminated their agreement. AA has said they will comp existing FF guys to either AAdvantage Gold or AAdvantage Platinum.
On US, we received Complimentary Upgrades based upon level, fare class, etc. In the last year, I have been upgraded on everything except maybe 10 segments .

How does it work for AA? My company normally books the excursion fares; do we have to do the coupon/sticker drill? Do elites have to purchase upgrades, as I won't be coming over with my accrued miles ?
Only Executive Platinums get complimentary domestic upgrades. Golds and Platinums have to use electronic 500 miles stickers. They get 4 free for every 10K miles flown or purchase @$25 (I think) each on line, and $30 each @ the airport.

The success of your upgrades will depend on your routings and days of the week. As an EXP I have not missed 1 upgrade in ~2.5 years. Plats may not be so lucky and Golds are definitely less succesful.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by Deltahater
you earn 4 500 miles upgrade stickers for every 10,000 miles you fly...
And beyond the earned upgrades, you pay $30 (online) for each additional 500 mile upgrade you want to use.

Free, unlimited only applies to EXP, which I like. Makes it much easier to get an upgrade on AA than other carriers.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 12:04 pm

In addition to the qty4 500 mile stickers, you can purchase the stickers for $30.(cannot be used on international flights)

As PLT you will(obviously) get lower priority for Upgrades than EXP(who don't need stickers) but above GLD.

Chance of getting upgrades depends on route/time you fly.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Do elites have to purchase upgrades, as I won't be coming over with my accrued miles ?
PLT and GLD earn 4 stickers per 10K miles traveled (as mentioned above), but other than that they have to purchase them.

Note: It's cheaper to buy them online than it is at the airport.

Edited to add: Boy, was I ever late to this party. And I can't even blame brp this time.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma

Edited to add: Boy, was I ever late to this party. And I can't even blame brp this time.
Is he still pushing a big-wheeled wheelchair through PRG?
Old Feb 19, 2007, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP (1MM), Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond

I think it's nice that US does that... That's one of the only advantages to their program over AA's if you're a low/mid tier elite.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 12:21 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

additionally domestic flights in the Y/B buckets receive a comp UG (space available of course) at the passengers UG window based on status.

Gold - 24 hours
Platinum - 72 hours
Executive PLatinum - 100 Hours
Old Feb 19, 2007, 12:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Originally Posted by andrzej
Only Executive Platinums get complimentary domestic upgrades. Golds and Platinums have to use electronic 500 miles stickers. They get 4 free for every 10K miles flown or purchase @$25 (I think) each on line, and $30 each @ the airport.
Plats get comp UGs on Y and B fares.

You can also buy stickers with miles - 8 for 35k (not a good deal IMHO)
Old Feb 19, 2007, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
Originally Posted by dgwright99

You can also buy stickers with miles - 8 for 35k (not a good deal IMHO)
Right - just as bad as ppl who use 25K miles on an award ticket from ORD-DFW , months in advance.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by badjuju
Right - just as bad as ppl who use 25K miles on an award ticket from ORD-DFW , months in advance.
I have no idea if very many people really do that, but isn't "bad" relative anyway? Some folks earn more miles than they can (or will) ever burn; some folks just don't know any better. As long as no one tries to force me to use 25K miles for an 802 mile trip, I don't really care if someone I don't even know decides to do so.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 3:39 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Deltahater
Is he still pushing a big-wheeled wheelchair through PRG?
Naw, he got back from there about a week ago. It was a regular wheelchair, and worked well...even though some big cobbles caused one of the little front wheels to go flat the first day. As it was Saturday eve,I just stuck with it for Sunday. A number of paved streets (seems a lot happens after the Communists leave, according to the locals), and cobbles that were not bad.

Cheers.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by ScreenGuy
I think it's nice that US does that... That's one of the only advantages to their program over AA's if you're a low/mid tier elite.
a disappearing advantage, at the rate US is removing F seats...
Old Feb 19, 2007, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP (1MM), Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by martin33
a disappearing advantage, at the rate US is removing F seats...
Agreed. Definitely depends on what routes you fly. My friend/coworker is a US Silver (lowest level) and she has had greater than 50% comp upgrades since she gained silver status (she usually flies PHL-SFO). I'm not sure if you'd have a higher % than that as an AA Gold, but even so, you'd have to pay. I do think 8-12 seats on a typical US domestic flight is too few though...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.