Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary Upgrades for AAdvantage Platinum

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2007, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
i know that i shouldn't have wasted the miles, but i upgrade on the dfw to ord flight using 30k miles just so i could get 1j on the 777, I really really wanted to try that seat once. I'm probably never going to get to fly first overseas because i can't afford it, but I can get miles so it was worth it to do it once. I still keep a picture of myself in that seat in my phone and it's been a year.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by guy999
I'm probably never going to get to fly first overseas because i can't afford it, but I can get miles so it was worth it to do it once. I still keep a picture of myself in that seat in my phone and it's been a year.
You could've saved those miles towards an award F ticket to Europe.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
i know that i shouldn't have wasted the miles, but i upgrade on the dfw to ord flight using 30k miles just so i could get 1j on the 777, I really really wanted to try that seat once. I'm probably never going to get to fly first overseas because i can't afford it, but I can get miles so it was worth it to do it once. I still keep a picture of myself in that seat in my phone and it's been a year.
That sounds like a perfectly wonderful use of the miles to me. I thinks it cool you treated yourself to the upgrade and that you enjoyed the experience enough that you still keep a picture around.

And never say never... if you can save a few more miles (well, OK, a lot more miles), next time you can treat yourself to Europe and back in F on the 777. If you can't afford to stay for long, nothing says you can't just turn around and come home in a day or two.

Happy travels.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 9:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Delta PM, SPG Gold
I've received 4 complimentary upgrades being elite on AA. Once was when I flew standby, another was an op-up, and the other two I chatted up the gate agent. Being friendly reaps rewards.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 9:44 pm

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
As I lament my drop from EXP to PLT next week, I take solace in the ability to earn upgrades for my travel companions, a nice benefit I'll be gaining.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by moman
I've received 4 complimentary upgrades being elite on AA. Once was when I flew standby, another was an op-up, and the other two I chatted up the gate agent. Being friendly reaps rewards.
you aren't by chance, 6'2", and look like an underwear model?
Old Feb 19, 2007, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by AAJetMan
As I lament my drop from EXP to PLT next week, I take solace in the ability to earn upgrades for my travel companions, a nice benefit I'll be gaining.
I sure admire you "the glass is half full" types.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 10:12 pm

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
I sure admire you "the glass is half full" types.
Hey, it's all I got. That and several DFW/Europe hops in "Y" to re-qualify EXP!!
Old Feb 19, 2007, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by AAJetMan
That and several DFW/Europe hops in "Y" to re-qualify EXP!!
So that explains your hopeful attitude. Hope you get 'er done and come back to the fold really quickly.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moman
That's fantastic advice! @:-)
Old Feb 20, 2007, 9:56 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
i actually can get enough miles for myself, but i have to get my wife the ticket too, she isn't so cool for me to fly by myself to europe. and that needs what 300,000 miles, and being that my lifetime number is 471,682, it's unlikely that i will get to use them.

I am trying to fly more for work now if I can and that will help. I just wish I could get all the miles that I personally buy, like when I pay to fly my office manager and when i pay to fly my wife. I wish I could get those miles in my account.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
i actually can get enough miles for myself, but i have to get my wife the ticket too, she isn't so cool for me to fly by myself to europe. and that needs what 300,000 miles,
Actually it's 250K for All Partner award or if you are willing to fly to ORD or east coast on your own dime than the OneWorld award will cost you 100K miles each for something like ORD-LHR-CDG-ORD with stopovers in both cities.

Look at the OneWorld forum sticky at the top. It explains exactly how OW award works...
Old Feb 20, 2007, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
The only part of that I question is doing it r/t. I think it's a great use of the miles o/w, but once you've tried it, not much reason to do it again on that trip. That said, if you were just hedging your bets about a last minute swap for coffins on one flight, then that might have been a wise decision.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.