FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Question about changing a flight mid-trip (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/662169-question-about-changing-flight-mid-trip.html)

dave_SEA Feb 19, 2007 9:53 am

Question about changing a flight mid-trip

Sorry for the general AA question- I figure this forum is most knowledgable.

I bought a round trip ticket DFW-LGA and was planning on staying in NY 2 weeks. However, unexpectadly I lanaded up flying JetBlue to SEA in the middle of the trip.

Now, I'm in SEA and trying to get home. What is AA's policy for changing my LGA-DFW return to be from SEA-DFW instead? Is it more worthwhile to buy a totally new ticket?

bdemaria Feb 19, 2007 9:59 am

You'll have to call. The standard for changing a return is $100 change fee + any difference between the fare you originally paid for that portion of the ticket and the new flight.

CloudCoder Feb 19, 2007 10:39 am

Originally Posted by dave_SEA (Post 7251554)
What is AA's policy for changing my LGA-DFW return to be from SEA-DFW instead? Is it more worthwhile to buy a totally new ticket?

You're gonna end up buying a new ticket regardless. In many cases you can use the existing ticket, less a change fee, as a credit towards the purchase of the new ticket.

nako Feb 19, 2007 10:49 am

Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy (Post 7251927)
You're gonna end up buying a new ticket regardless. In many cases you can use the existing ticket, less a change fee, as a credit towards the purchase of the new ticket.

In using the existing ticket, though, this assumes that this ticket has a remaining value -- which, for the back half of a round-trip ticket, doesn't always happen.

Don't be surprised, in other words, if you end up paying the full price for your SEA-DFW ticket because the remaining portion of your DFW-LGA ticket has no value.

Mike

Keith Flyer Maven Feb 19, 2007 10:54 am

Agreed. The ironic thing is that it likely would have been cheaper in the longrun to have bought a RT with Jet Blue, then flown back on your AA return. I'd look into finding a JetBlue or Southwest one-way ticket home. You may end up with a little credit on AA, but I wouldn't count on it.

dave_SEA Feb 19, 2007 11:31 am

Thanks everyone for the input. I called the PLT desk and after doing some math the unused portion of the ticket is worthless, since the change date and change route fees exceed the existing value.

Flying back to NYC would consume a full day of travel, and I'm not sure I can swing it.

I do need to return to SEA in March, so my last option may be to buy a RT SEA-DFW now, and then a OW SEA-DFW for travel next month.

mitchell Feb 19, 2007 1:42 pm

Not sure if this is possible.

If you buy an AA SEA-LGA, can you standby SEA-DFW (since you have SEA-LGA and LGA-DFW on different tickets)?