FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Holy "chit" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/662031-holy-chit.html)

cynicAAl Feb 18, 2007 10:11 pm

Holy "chit"

Forgive the ignorant question here...

I understand that when you guys refer to a "chit", you are talking about those free drink coupons they give us at the Admirals Club. But where does the term "chit" come from ? I've never heard the term before (until I found FT).

vasantn Feb 18, 2007 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by cynicAAl (Post 7249358)
Forgive the ignorant question here...

I understand that when you guys refer to a "chit", you are talking about those free drink coupons they give us at the Admirals Club. But where does the term "chit" come from ? I've never heard the term before (until I found FT).

I believe it's an anglicized version of an Indian word, "chitti," which means a note or a voucher.

[Edited to add:] Sorry, brp beat me to it with his more enlightened response. :D

oklAAhoma Feb 18, 2007 10:28 pm

I've seen its origins attributed to the word "chitthi". I wonder if that's an older spelling of "chitti"? Just curious.

TierFlyer Feb 18, 2007 10:47 pm

My driver in India gave me a "chitti" last time I was there. His Hindu is better than mine, so I'm gonna go with "it's an anglicized Indian word."

mvoight Feb 18, 2007 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by TierFlyer (Post 7249454)
My driver in India gave me a "chitti" last time I was there. His Hindu is better than mine, so I'm gonna go with "it's an anglicized Indian word."

Additionally, it is also a term I first learned in the military.
That would make sense, since people often think the C in C is full of chit.

bombayhog Feb 18, 2007 11:32 pm

The dictionary concurs with a few of the other posters:

ORIGIN late 18th cent.: Anglo-Indian, from Hindi ciṭṭhī ‘note, pass.’

Not to be confused with the other meaning of chit:

noun; a young woman regarded with disapproval for her immaturity or lack of respect : a mere chit of a girl. ORIGIN late Middle English

The latter are mostly found outside the Admiral's Club.

SanDiego1K Feb 18, 2007 11:37 pm

Here's one explanation I found online:

Chit
One tradition carried on in the Navy is the use of the word "chit." It is a carry over from the days when Hindu traders used slips of paper called "citthi" for money, so they wouldn't have to carry heavy bags of gold and silver. British sailors shortened the word to chit and applied it to their mess vouchers.

ESpen36 Feb 19, 2007 6:25 am

From Dictionary.com:

Dictionary.com Unabridged
chit–noun
1. a signed note for money owed for food, drink, etc.
2. any receipt, voucher, or similar document, esp. of an informal nature.
3. Chiefly British. a note; short memorandum.
[Origin: 1775–85; short for chitty < Hindi chit?t??]

jdburns11 Feb 19, 2007 6:41 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 7249549)
Here's one explanation I found online:

Chit
One tradition carried on in the Navy is the use of the word "chit." It is a carry over from the days when Hindu traders used slips of paper called "citthi" for money, so they wouldn't have to carry heavy bags of gold and silver. British sailors shortened the word to chit and applied it to their mess vouchers.

A "leave chit" is also a commonly used term in the military for note to take personal time or venture far away from homebase - without risk of considered being AWOL and usually requires supervisors in the chain of command to have signed off accordingly.

I've never even heard of free drink coupons in the AC - let alone received any .... so if there's suggestions out there - I'm all ears & eyes!

Sincerely, - jdburns11

Aleks Feb 19, 2007 6:46 am

I'll not post the definitions of "chit" I've just found on http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chit :eek:

jabrams72 Feb 19, 2007 6:57 am

Originally Posted by jdburns11 (Post 7250608)

I've never even heard of free drink coupons in the AC - let alone received any .... so if there's suggestions out there - I'm all ears & eyes!

Sincerely, - jdburns11

If you're flying international, they're supposed to give them to you. However, I find you often need to ask.

oklAAhoma Feb 19, 2007 10:14 am

Originally Posted by jdburns11 (Post 7250608)

Originally Posted by jabrams72 (Post 7250670)
If you're flying international, they're supposed to give them to you. However, I find you often need to ask.

I had never heard of them either until I read about it on FT. That means 6 years of international travel on AA (as a PLT) that I didn't receive any drink chits at the AC. :eek: :mad: :(

The agents should give you two when you enter but jabrams72 is correct, often you have to ask for both or for the second one.

srk123 Feb 19, 2007 11:31 am

It's from that movie "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang"

ESpen36 Feb 19, 2007 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by jabrams72 (Post 7250670)

Basically, you can get drink chits anytime you are eligible to enter the AC for a reason OTHER than paid AC membership

So, you can get free drinks with access to the AC:

1) If PLT/EXP and traveling to, from, or through Europe, Asia, Central/South America, or Mexico City on an eligible OW marketed/operated flight on the same day.

2) If OW Sapphire or Emerald on another airline and traveling on any eligible OW marketed/operated flight on the same day.

3) If traveling in J or F (any inventory) to, from, or through Europe, Asia, Central/South America, or Mexico City on an eligible AA flight on the same day.

4) If traveling in full-fare F (inventories F and Z) on a nonstop AA transcontinental flight on the same day.*

*soon to be changed to all inventories of F and J.

ESpen36 Feb 19, 2007 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by oklAAhoma (Post 7251744)
I had never heard of them either until I read about it on FT. That means 6 years of international travel on AA (as a PLT) that I didn't receive any drink chits at the AC. :eek: :mad: :(

Well, that's probably because you showed your AC card instead of your PLT card and BP.

Once, I made the mistake of showing my AC card when traveling to South America. The AAngel said: "Sorry, the drink coupons are not for members; they are for our elites and premium passengers." Then, I had to go through the whole song and dance about how I'm also PLT.

So... if you qualify for entry as an elite or a premium pax, do not show your AC membership card; if you do, you might be denied the drink chits that you deserve!