Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Holy "chit"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2007, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I'vwe gotten a drink chits when flying premium class on flights outside of the US. They are good for the day of flight only. If I can't use them on the day, I make sure that someone else does.

Amazing amount of knowledge on FT. Amazing!
Old Feb 19, 2007, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by pltwannab
So you have to ask the chit for a chit if you want a drink ?
I double-dog-dare-you to call the one of the chits a chit whilst requesting your chits. No, wait... I triple-dog-dare-you.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by vasantn

The entire thread is OT, so why fight it?
the thread has been interesting to read, and confirms what I suspected when I started the thread...that most people use the term "chit" without having the slightest clue of what the word means. Myself included.

Now if we could step out of the 1970's and stop calling electronic segment upgrades "stickers". Or maybe not.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by kalia960
... 4. retroflex-th (aspirated retroflex t--breathe out as you say 't'). Some write it as "thh". Not really known in English but some people use this sound in pronouncing "Thai".

Now "chi(thh)(thh)i" contains a double retroflex aspirated t. Are you still sure you want to know this?
Fascinating thread; I've had a go at enunciating these sounds as posted (getting a strange look or two from co-workers ... ) .

It's no wonder the English shortened the word to Chit!

Seems simple enough to say "chi(thh)", but to add another "(thh)" to get "chi(thh)(thh)" just doesn't happen easily to one not practiced in the sound.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by cynicAAl
Now if we could step out of the 1970's and stop calling electronic segment upgrades "stickers". Or maybe not.
I'm not sure why we need to quit calling them stickers. But I also don't know why you're attributing them to the 1970s. I wasn't an elite with AA until 1995 and stickers were still alive and well and being peeled and placed on boarding passes then (and for the next several years).
Old Feb 19, 2007, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
I'm not sure why we need to quit calling them stickers. But I also don't know why you're attributing them to the 1970s. I wasn't an elite with AA until 1995 and stickers were still alive and well and being peeled and placed on boarding passes then (and for the next several years).
the point is that we are using an outdated term with "stickers". I've only been elite for about 7 years, so I never experienced the stickers. But then, I'm all for bringing back the retro terms. Next time I'm on the 747-100, I'll ask the stewardess in the piano lounge how she likes her new uniform made from the new "miracle fabric", polyester, while she serves me another cup of Sanka
Old Feb 19, 2007, 11:31 pm

the point is that we are using an outdated term with "stickers".
My point is... so what? Why change just to change? You haven't convinced me there's an inherent problem with using an outdated term. "Album" is also an old-fashioned term but that doesn't stop recording artisits from going gold, platinum, and multi-platinum.

IMO "stickers" is much easier and more convenient than
"500-mile-electronic-upgrades". The latter just doesn't roll off the tongue like the former. If there were a new and improved term then I'd be all for it, but so far I haven't heard anything better suited than "stickers". As always YMMV.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
the point is that we are using an outdated term with "stickers".
We still dial a phone, don't we?

In computers, many systems still use the term core to refer to memory, even though core means a specific type of (hand-made) memory from the 1960s and 1970s. (I worked for a vendor that went to some trouble to update their terminology in the early 1990s, replacing many outdated terms, including core, but few others bothered.)

Seriously, I'm all for using more updated terms, as it is less confusing for new people. But old habits die hard, as they say.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anabolism
Seriously, I'm all for using more updated terms, as it is less confusing for new people. But old habits die hard, as they say.
this was my point. I, and a lot of others, don't know what a "sticker" is as we weren't flying when the term began. Times change, we adapt to the changes. Or...you can be like my grandparents who think all change is evil and long for the good ole days.

Please...just don't make me refer to my "secretary" as a "Negro". It turns out that she prefers the updated terms.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime GLD, SPG Gold, UCLA Alum ('96)
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
IMO "stickers" is much easier and more convenient than "500-mile-electronic-upgrades". The latter just doesn't roll off the tongue like the former. If there were a new and improved term then I'd be all for it, but so far I haven't heard anything better suited than "stickers". As always YMMV.
Yeah, I am inclined to agree. I am a relatively new elite (past 2 years) and as such have always had e-upgrades, but I still call them 'stickers' (too much time on FT!!!).

Oh, and I can attest to the overwhelming use of "chit" in the military. As a former flight surgeon, I used to issue "down-chits" (to ground a pilot) and "up-chits" (returning them to flight status) all the time.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 10:31 pm

this was my point. I, and a lot of others, don't know what a "sticker" is as we weren't flying when the term began.
You still haven't offered a convenient, accurate term to substitute for sticker.

Nor am I convinced that "500-mile-electronic-upgrade coupon" is somehow self-explanatory and that the phrase doesn't have to be defined at some point for folks who weren't flying when stickers were really stickers.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 10:36 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
this was my point. I, and a lot of others, don't know what a "sticker" is as we weren't flying when the term began. Times change, we adapt to the changes.
I wasn't using them when they were actual stickers either; the term makes complete sense flows far more trippingly from the tongue than any alternative I've yet heard. You're beginning to sound like a broken rec...I mean scratched CD...

Cheers.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 10:39 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
I wasn't using them when they were actual stickers either; the term makes complete sense flows far more trippingly from the tongue than any alternative I've yet heard. You're beginning to sound like a broken rec...I mean scratched CD...

Cheers.

HEAR HEAR
Old Feb 21, 2007, 10:48 pm

We call them stickers because it displays our long experience and esoteric knowledge. Those who have joined our select group more recently use it as a way to appear to have that same experience and knowledge. In other words, we do it to show off. We say it to AA employees and new FT users just to see if they will say "Whaa?"

And for the same reason we occasionally start a thread about "old miles". (I am actually guilty of that---starting such a thread, if not really for that reason. OK, really for that reason.)
Old Feb 22, 2007, 12:15 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by kalia960
Um, interesting. People in the west don't understand the business of aspirated consonants
Except for "people in the west" who speak Icelandic, Irish Gaelic, Swedish, Danish, or Norwegian.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.